Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimming World

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 June97

I have been following SW on line since August and lost almost 1.5 stone. Its slow but it is really suiting me. Just wondering did you print off all the food lists from the website? There is a section in it where you click on it and it gives you the lists of free food, superfree foods, Healthy Extra A & B lists and then a whole 19 page document on the syn value of everyday foods. It is a pretty comprehensive list. I use the online food diary a lot. I usually start in the morning, type in what I plan to eat, print it off and keep it with me so I dont stray from it. I probably sound like a control freak but I am not -honestly!! I have also signed up on the Fit log and it keeps me motivated to get out and go for a walk/swim. I also use the online syn calculator a lot and write down values of products that are not on the database (it is quite english based so I put down values of products that are only here in Ireland). I do admit that it does lack feedback and a forum of some type to chat with other online members but I have tried WW and Unislim classes for years and I have to say this program is really working for me. I work full time and have 2 children so I dont have time to me messing with different meals and special foods, the food is all very easily managed- It just takes a bit of organisation. I genuinely cant praise it high enough. I am about 33% of the way to my target weight so I signed up for another 12 weeks and hope to hit target sometime in March 2012.

i hope the plan is working for you, if I can be of any more help give me shout

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

Hi June have you looked at the minimins site there is a very comprehensive forum there dedicated to slimming world.

Astra wrote: »
    Hi June have you looked at the minimins site there is a very comprehensive forum there dedicated to slimming world.
    Hi Astra. I have been on the Minimins site and its a great source of reicpies and just chat. Sometimes it is tough when you are not going to a class and cant talk to anyone about how you are getting on - have tried explaining a chocolate craving to my other half and all I get is a 'I dont know what you are on about' look - ha ha ha

How is the plan going for you?

michellie wrote: »
    Best decision I have ever made! Would love a forum here.

Me too any chance of merging this and the slimming world on line thread pretty please mods?

That was fast thank you:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Eabhabear

Hi I'm thinking of joining SW. I've been doing WW for just over a year and it doesn't seem to be working for me anymore and I'm getting really frustrated. I don't mind the long journey of weight loss as long as I'm losing which is why I think SW might suit me. I was wondering if people wouldn't mind telling me their stories of SW so far as I find they're what motivate me the most :)

Also I'm not a big fruit or veg person. I eat a very limited variety of them so would this hinder my SW process?

Thanks Eabha

Eabha
    Like most healthy eating plans there is a big emphasis on eating plenty of fresh Fruit and Veg as these items are all free in the plan. But the difference with this plan is that you can have as much potatoes, rice, pasta and noodles with your meal as long as a third of your meal is made up of Veg/Superfree foods. So you dont have to get out the weighing scales everytime you eat to measure you carbs, or wonder is that the cooked weight or the uncooked weight you should be eating. Meats are also not weighed as long as they are lean (mince has to be under 5% fat content), all visible fat removed. Using frylite oil insted of regular oil is also recommended. You do have to measure your intake of other carbs such as bread and breakfast cereals as well as dairy (cheese & milk). Most fat free yogurts are free.
    I do think that it does help if you like to cook on this plan as you save yourself a lot of syns by making things from scratch (helps cut out all the hidden fats and sugars in sauces)

Hope this helps

FM

Hi again Eabha, also just to add to the pm I sent you, there are three plans in total on sw and I dont think that the fruit/veg rule is quiet as strict on the green and original plans. From reading different forums there appears to be a lot of people who struggle with fruit and veg but still do well.
    June you are doing so well, I agree there is something very different about slimming world. Its great not to have to worry about weighing and measuring when cooking. Yesterday for breakfast I had an apple, a satsumamedium tin of beans and 2 small slices of wholemeal bread. this kept me going for hours at lunch I had a bowl of homemade veg soup and a banana, it was all I could manage. Dinner was roast potatoes, mushrooms, onions, cauliflower, broccolli and a steak, I used 1.5 syns on pepper sauce. Later I had a 30g bag manhatten popcorn 6.5 syns. That doesnt sound much like a diet does it? Usually at the weekends I share a bottle of wine with my husband which is all my syns used but most days I dont use them all as I am always satisfied and have few cravings.
    Sw are currently recruiting new consultants so maybe they might come to cork soon.

Daisy M wrote: »
    Hi again Eabha, also just to add to the pm I sent you, there are three plans in total on sw and I dont think that the fruit/veg rule is quiet as strict on the green and original plans. From reading different forums there appears to be a lot of people who struggle with fruit and veg but still do well.
    June you are doing so well, I agree there is something very different about slimming world. Its great not to have to worry about weighing and measuring when cooking. Yesterday for breakfast I had an apple, a satsumamedium tin of beans and 2 small slices of wholemeal bread. this kept me going for hours at lunch I had a bowl of homemade veg soup and a banana, it was all I could manage. Dinner was roast potatoes, mushrooms, onions, cauliflower, broccolli and a steak, I used 1.5 syns on pepper sauce. Later I had a 30g bag manhatten popcorn 6.5 syns. That doesnt sound much like a diet does it? Usually at the weekends I share a bottle of wine with my husband which is all my syns used but most days I dont use them all as I am always satisfied and have few cravings.
    Sw are currently recruiting new consultants so maybe they might come to cork soon.
    Hi Daisy, what pepper sauce did you use? if it was one you made yourself can I have the recipe? for 1.5 syns its a steal!!

Thanks

FM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Eabhabear

Thanks for all your support and advice :)

• Advertisement

June97 wrote: »
    Hi Daisy, what pepper sauce did you use? if it was one you made yourself can I have the recipe? for 1.5 syns its a steal!!

Thanks

FM
    It was just a packet one knorr I think, I made it up with water and no milk and only had a tbs which I reckoned was 30 calories max. 20 calories = 1 syn.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 NatalieD

Hi everyone,
    Just wanted to get in on the discussions. I originally joined sw last year for my wedding but once the honeymoon was over etc I wasn't bothered going back, was just enjoying being a newly wed. It worked great before the wedding and I'm now ready to shift this weight so I joined back last Wednesday.

So far the week is going well (fingers crossed it will show on the scales) wondering does anyone have any best bets or recipes recommendations they would like to share?
    :D

Welcome Natalie and best of luck with your weigh in on Wednesday. I have found that I really reduced the amount of bread I was eating has helped - I havent cut it out but I have cut back on it. I also make low syn soups for lunch like chicken noodle, orange & Lentil, curried parsnip or ministrone. Any curry or bolognaise dinner leftovers get frozen and used then for lunch when I might be having a hungry day.
    I cant live without my activia vanilla fat free yogurt, freeze them and they are a decent replacement for icecream.
    SW roast potatoes or wedges (I use the schwarz steak seasoning) are a huge hit in our house. Really taste fab.
    I am really watching the fat content on my meat as I was getting a bit laid back about it and I think that is helping too. Got the free 95% lean mince in Dunnes and made burgers out of it yesterday for tea, I didnt have a burger bun but instead piled on some onions & mushrooms cooked in frylite, beans, and a couple of wedges. I was stuffed after it all and it was delicious (if I do say so myself!!!)

It was just a packet one knorr I think, I made it up with water and no milk and only had a tbs which I reckoned was 30 calories max. 20 calories = 1 syn.
    Thanks daisy, I will look our for those

Hi and welcome Natalie. I just have to share this recipe with you all. Had this for dinner yesterday evening its just a basic curry easy to make and cooking time takes no length.
    you will need:
    2 large chicken breasts
    tin chopped tomatoes
    onions
    peppers
    mushrooms
    currry powder
    chicken stock pot
    Fry the chicken and veg in a little frylite along with the curry powder (I also added cumin and garam masala)
    Add tomatoes and chicken stock, I just added 3/4 cup of water to a stock pot. Leave to simmer for 15/20 mins. I tasted it halfway through and added more of the spices to suit my taste.

This was lovely and so filling I had it with sw chips yesterday will have it again with rice today. Theres no need to add more veg/salad to your plate as you would have at least 1/3 in the curry.
    This is a million times nicer than any packet curry or any curry I have gotten from a chinese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dancingshoe

hey ladies I hope this thread is still active, I joined SW 10 weeks ago and only today finally got my half stone, I am really enjoying it and the weight gain was due to a month of constant weddings, parties grads etc. but I must say that I am really enjoying the plan, I can have spuds yey! anways, does anyone know where one moght buy Mugshots noodles, as they are free, would be great for work

hey ladies I hope this thread is still active, I joined SW 10 weeks ago and only today finally got my half stone, I am really enjoying it and the weight gain was due to a month of constant weddings, parties grads etc. but I must say that I am really enjoying the plan, I can have spuds yey! anways, does anyone know where one moght buy Mugshots noodles, as they are free, would be great for work
    Apparently some Tesco stores sell them, I havent looked for them so cant confirm. I agree its great to be able to have spuds and as for sw chips fantastic!

Thanks daisy, I'll have a look they don't have them in my local but I will look in the latger ones. have you been on SW long, how do you find it?

I just have to share this recipe with you all. Had this for dinner yesterday evening its just a basic curry easy to make and cooking time takes no length.

thanks for that, gonna try it

HI I am just on it since october, but I wish it had came to our area years ago! It has been hard to get my head around been able to eat as much as I like and never been in the situation where I have no calories/points left and feel if Ieat something I will be breaking my diet. I have started to try out new recipes as I found myself getting a little bored. One of my fav lunches at the moment is stuffed potatoes. I just bake the potatoes when they are cooked I scoop out the potato, leave out 1/3 of the potato put the rest in a bowl and mix in some cheese, allowed from your hexa, some, ham, scallions and peppers or anything else you fancy. Fill the potatoes and stick back in the oven for 10 min or so they are gorgeous. Slimming world chips are great I have an actifry and they turn out so nice from them.

At our taster night some members brought in lovely desserts syn free. One is a packet of sugar free jelly mixed with 0fat yogurt and left to set, its lovely with fruit or when its set you could make up more jelly, when its cooled add some chopped fruit an dput on top of jelly and yogurt mix, you could even top this with a spray of anchor lite aerosol cream. You get a generous squirt for one syn.

I love homemade soups and I constantly change the ingredients to get different flavours. This weeks one is a version of carrott and corriander. Fry off some onions mushrooms and corriander in frylite. add chicken/ veg stock pot/cube. Add potatoes, and lots of carrotts, I also added a little garlic pepper and some sweet paprika. It is lovely I will defenitely make it again. A bowl of homemade soup is a great way to get the 1/3 superfree food into your meal.

I would love to hear what others are eating please share:).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Catxscotch

Hi All,
    I lost a stone on this plan this time last year, I got to my goal weight a foolishly thought I could maintain it by cooking the SW way, and also eating bread, having more treats etc. Obviously it didnt work and am now at the sam weight I was before I started. I find it very hard to be good on the weekends. During the week Ill either cook a large curry/chilli and have it for 3 days, then I will have potatoes, bacon and beans the other days. Its the weekends that I struggle with! On Sat and Sun mornings I love eggs and toast for breakfast (weetabix during the week). This would be fine but I love loads of butter and maralade and they take up most of my syns. Then if I have any life at all I cant drink, and my sweet tooth is awful. I try to stem the cravings with chocolate rice cakes but my motivation at the minute is not great, i find myself eating the rice cake, plus a couple of biscuits and a wagon wheel!! (last night..not good!)

I made this soup yesterday and just had it at lunch time. It is georgous if I do say so myself. Dead easy to make.

Red lentil, chickpea & chilli soup
    2 tsp cumin seeds
    large pinch chilli flakes
    1 red onion , chopped
    140g red split lentils
    850ml vegetable stock or water
    400g can tomatoes , whole or chopped
    Small can of Chickpeas
    small bunch coriander , roughly chopped (save a few leaves, to serve)
    Heat a large saucepan and dry-fry the cumin seeds and chilli flakes for 1 min, or until they start to jump around the pan and release their aromas. Add some fry lite to pan and put in onion and cook for 5 mins. Stir in the lentils, stock and tomatoes, then bring to the boil. Simmer for 15 mins until the lentils have softened.
    Whizz the soup with a stick blender or in a food processor until it is a rough purée, pour back into the pan and add the chickpeas. Heat gently, season well and stir in the coriander.

Hi catxscotch, sorry to hear you are finding the going tough. I have cans of diet club orange in the house to try and get me over my sweet fix/craving. It is a very sweet drink and I find it hits the spot and also fills me up. I have also put my treats in their own box in their own cupboard. No one else is allowed near it, there is plenty of other stuff for them elsewhere!!!

Hi dancing shoe and well done on the half stone loss with that hectic social life! Seemingly you will find the mugshots in the bigger Tesco Extra stores or if you live near the north in Asda.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 cathyk626

Hay all

So glad i found this link. Joined last night..everyone seems to love it so really going to give it a go.. Only thing im confused about it how to you find how many syns there is in normal food. In WW they go by fat/cal but no one mentioned it last night.. Just had a elevenses ginger bake bar and no idea on how bad it was?

Thanks

Hi Cathy. The general rule of thumb is 20 calories = 1 syn. This applies to food like crisps, chocolate bread ect that has no "free food" in it. It can be different for food that is made up of a lot of free food ie fish in a batter/breadcrumb coating. Use your pin to register with slimming world Ireland and you will have access to lots of listed syns and be able to calculate syn values using the nutritional info on pack for food that has mainly free food in it.
    Just to add I tried some of the muller light cheesecake style yogurts this week and they are lovely. Well worth it for 1 syn. Most of the mullerlights are syn free too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 FMcM

Hi Everyone,
    Joined SW in May and have 2 1/2 stone lost so really pleased. My consultant told us about www.slimmingeats.com it is full of slimming world recipes and we had some at the taster night. There are loads of fab dishes to make and all syn values on them.

FMcM wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,
    Joined SW in May and have 2 1/2 stone lost so really pleased. My consultant told us about www.slimmingeats.com it is full of slimming world recipes and we had some at the taster night. There are loads of fab dishes to make and all syn values on them.

Hi thanks for the link its great to get some new ideas. Well done on your weight loss that is so good. I am in love with the SW plan it doesnt feel like a diet at all!!!

FMcM wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,
    Thanks FMcM for the link, its got some great stuff on it. It's really amazing how flexible this plan is. You really can eat so much and loose weight. Mind you with Christmas less than 30 days away I really need to stick to my guns and keep motivated. I tried the recipe in the Nov/Dec issue of SW magazine for chocolate moose, really really nice treat and only 4.5 syn a portion. I served it up after dinner and no one knew any different!

Hope the plan is working for you all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

Joining tomorrow guys. I only have 2 stone to loose (at the very most), I'd just like to tone my body up a lot! I've a bridesmaid dress to look hot in for december!

any newbie tips?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement