Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coeliac food recommendations

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

Some Dunnes Stores are now stocking a frozen g-f pizza by ds. I remember years ago Tesco were doing a g-f frozen pizza in the uk and I used to get my sister to bring me some. I contacted Tesco to see if they would stock it in Ireland but they said no.

It's good to have a frozen pizza available now although it was a bit 'doughy', I would prefer the taste of the ds base with my own topping.

Btw anyone else having problems with the m&s brown rolls? I seem to be reacting to them( although they may be completely innocent and maybe I'm getting contamination elsewhere, just can't think where as I am very cautious).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Knorr Spicy Medium Curry and Knorr Spicy Mild Curry are both gluten free. They are jars of curry for cooking with chicken and serving with rice. Both are very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Wimbago

Missed this but I'll add what I posted into another thread here:

Hodgins GF Sausages - need to a little well done to get the proper sausage taste
    Bob's Red Mills Breakfast Cereal - its like a fine porridge but it's really, really good.
    TruFree crackers - both plain and Herb are amazing. My girlfriends buys them for herself also as they are that nice!!
    Juvela Bread Rolls - taste slightly like a donut but do indeed also taste very like a plain bap, very nice indeed :)

All available in SuperValu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Can anyone tell me if the M&S in Jervis (Dublin) sells the gluten free range? I looked in the one on Grafton St before and couldn't spot any of them so maybe it's just me. Are they mixed in with all the normal products or on their own?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 S_V

Super valu's new free from brown bread is the best I've tasted. Cheaper than genius and stays fresh for days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Aldi now have coeliac friendly white and brown bread - €1.99 - haven't tried it yet but will be looking for it this evening!
    It's in this weeks newsletter thingie on their site: http://aldi.ie/

Great stuff. Aldi's brands has the contents on all products where as not all brands in the other supermarkets aren't fully up to scratch yet i.e. Mars still seem way behind in terms of adding the contents of their food

Cork_girl wrote: »
    Aldi now have coeliac friendly white and brown bread - €1.99 - haven't tried it yet but will be looking for it this evening!
    It's in this weeks newsletter thingie on their site: http://aldi.ie/

It's good :) Have only had it toasted because I think all gluten free bread is a bit spongy but toasted - it's as good as you'd get anywhere :)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭ladycam

My friend came across this site and recommended it to me

www.coeliacpages.ie

It gives ideas on where to eat, shop etc

They are on fb as well

Hopefully worth a mention to you all:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 1halfstone

Hi ,
    I was wondering if you could help me here. I am cooking for a friend who is a coeliac and was wondering if anyone can tell me if sweet chilli sauce and oyster sauce are naturally gluten free? If not can anyone recommend some gluten free brands?
    Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

All the "Thai Gold" range of products incl oyster and fish sauce and curry paste are GF.... I use the rice noodles as well. You should find in most supermarkets.... I get in my Supervalu. And Tamari is brand of soya sauce to look for and you will find in health food shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I found frosted cornflakes in Aldi that claim to be glutenfree. When I checked the ingredients it listed barley maltodextrin. I seem to be extremely sensitive to gluten and I'm confused, I'm unwilling to try them in case I become ill, I've had too many nasty surprises. Quite a few of their home brand products claim to be gluten free and it would be great to be able to expand my diet, but even maltodextrin raises alarm bells. Am I right?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭alexjk

I also went to Aldi to get the gluten free bread but when I read the ingredients, it says it's made from de-glutinised wheat. They clearly point it out on the packaging but I'm baffled as to how that counts as coeliac friendly. Gluten free maybe, but not coeliac friendly.

alexjk wrote: »
    Gluten free maybe, but not coeliac friendly.

You not mean the other way around? Coeliac Friendly means there is some gluten content (below the minimal suggested content), gluten free is what you want if you have any reaction at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭ladysaint

alexjk wrote: »
    I also went to Aldi to get the gluten free bread but when I read the ingredients, it says it's made from de-glutinised wheat. They clearly point it out on the packaging but I'm baffled as to how that counts as coeliac friendly. Gluten free maybe, but not coeliac friendly.

The coeliac society were advertising this bread and seemed to be behind it. I would be surprised if they would support something not totally gluten free & coeliac friendly.

ladysaint wrote: »
    The coeliac society were advertising this bread and seemed to be behind it. I would be surprised if they would support something not totally gluten free & coeliac friendly.
    I haven't had any I'll effects after eating it and would be very sensitive..

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭alexjk

I may give it a try so, I had a bad reaction to Juvela gluten free wheat bread so I'm a bit iffy on anything with the word wheat in it!

Was it a coeliac reaction or just a bad reaction to the bread? I found bread bloating at 1st mainly as it's A. quiet fibreless and B. made with rice flour generally so quiet starchy!

Wimbago wrote: »
    Was it a coeliac reaction or just a bad reaction to the bread? I found bread bloating at 1st mainly as it's A. quiet fibreless and B. made with rice flour generally so quiet starchy!

Exactly - it's still not something that is nutritious! Bread is bread but it means toast on a Saturday morning!

love been able to have toast!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Les Recettes de Celiane do gluten free and dairy free mini muffins that are divine...even by standards of "normal" confectionary these are out on their own. I've tried the lemon ones and chocolate ones. The chocolate have a centre of chocolate sauce, tastes like nutella or the inside of a Ferraro Roche despite being dairy free.Highly recommend them! You can get the from ecodirect.ie but I'd love to know if anyone's seen them in any supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

Whimsical - that brand is in Superquinn:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

Any 'breakfast' cereal that are gluten free - Rice Krispies maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭ladysaint

Non of the standard brand cereals are glutten free.
    In some stores you will find glutten free cornflakes in the cereal isle but more likely in the glutten free food isle.
    There are a few brands of glutten free corn flakes, I have found one brand of glutten free rice krispies ( was looking for them for rice krispy cakes ) but there very hard to get.

Kelkin - link below do some cereals too.

http://www.kelkin.ie/glutenfree_porridge.html

Hope this is off some help

Gluten free porridge never really worked out for me - the ones that tasted good bloated me like crazy and the rest just weren't worth eating again.

The Bob's Red Mills range is the best if you can handle porridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Does anyone know of anywhere that stocks Odlums Tritamyl Gluten Free Flour?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Does anyone know of anywhere that stocks Odlums Tritamyl Gluten Free Flour?

Most supermarkets do it, there's also doves flour that I can get in the supermarket if I can get either of these where I'm living I can't imagine other people having too much of a problem.

They probably won't be with the other baking stuff, in my supermarket they're at the 'health' section across from the normal chocolate bars and biscuits.

Health shops tend to stock different flours that are gluten free, like rice, potato, buckwheat and others I'm forgetting.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭alexsmith

i thought buckwheat contains gluten or am i wrong?

also do any of you guys know where i can buy CHEAP gluten free oats?
    in every supermarket they are so F***ing expensive,like a 5er for a 400gram bag which would be gone in seconds.the normal oats are sold by the kilo for a euro.its so annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

alexsmith wrote: »
    i thought buckwheat contains gluten or am i wrong?

also do any of you guys know where i can buy CHEAP gluten free oats?
    in every supermarket they are so F***ing expensive,like a 5er for a 400gram bag which would be gone in seconds.the normal oats are sold by the kilo for a euro.its so annoying

Buckwheat doesn't have gluten, it's a grass, despite the name.

Haven't seen any cheap GF oats unfortunately...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

I get whole oats or groats in health food shop and use to make porridge using a slow cooker as they need several hours of gentle heat. A bag costs about 1 75 euro.

I see the problem of oats as being mainly cross contaminion in processing or odd wheat grain getting into crop in field. But with whole oats, they is less processsing and they can be rinsed. You will notice the distinctive wheat or other grain if it happens to find its way into a bag. I think only one in twenty celiacs have a distinct reaction to the type of gluten that is in oats.

Advertisement