Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Triple Extending

• 09-10-2009 3:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm 24, 5'7 and 151 pounds. My goal is to shed some of my blubber and get stronger. I had been doing stronglifts for a while but wasn't doing certain things correctly so got a session with a trainer and he corrected my form on pretty much everything :). So I reset everything back to the bar. However I'm temporarily going up in increments of 10 lbs (everything in this log will be in pounds as I'm based in America). I started a few days ago but didn't get around to logging so will sum up the first 2 days quickly

Day 1:
    Squats 5x5 : 54lbs
    Bench 5x5 : 54lbs
    Inverted Rows 3xF : 7,6,4
    Pushups 3XF : 15,10,8
    Reverse Ab Crunchs 3x12

Everything went pretty well.

Day 2:
    Squats 5x5 : 64lbs
    Overhead Press 5x5 : 54lbs
    Deadlift 1x5 : 84 lbs
    Chin ups : 5,3,2
    Planks 3x30 seconds

Again things went pretty well

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Day 3:
    Squats 5x5 : 74lbs
    Bench 5x5 : 64lbs
    Push ups 3XF : 15,10,9
    Reverse Ab Crunches 3x12

Things went pretty smoothly here. Finding I really need to concentrate on what I'm doing when I'm squatting

Day 4 (Start of Week 2):
    Squats 5x5 : 84lbs
    Overhead Press 5x5 : 64lbs
    Deadlift 1x5 : 104 lbs
    Pull ups : 3,1,1
    Planks 3x30 seconds

Found squats a good bit easier today. I think it's because I had been doing a lot of air squats recently trying to focus on getting my knees following my toes and keeping my chest up. Having done so much of these over the last day or two I think my body is starting to realise what it has to do without me having to concentrate so hard.

Overhead press was tough. Will be going up in 5lb increments from here on in. Deadlifts were fun but a bit easy. Pull ups were an improvement on before. I used to get a pain in my left bicep and shoulder, 3 weeks rest due to holidays and stuff combined with some pointers I recieved seem to have gotten rid of this pain. Second 'set' was with bad technique and I got the pains in my bicep shoulder again. Third set I did it properly and painlessly. Planks were planks

Saturday
    Had a soccer match

Sunday
    Day 5:
    Squats 5x5 : 94lbs
    Bench 5x5 : 74lbs
    Push ups 3XF : 15,10,8
    Reverse Ab Crunches 3x12

As before I'm finding the technique easier to do on squats. Most pleased with this. Everything else went pretty well. Reverse Ab Crunches killed me as usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭jayoo

Did ye win????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Hi Molly

Looks like you have started off on Strong Lifts 5x5 :)

This is the same routine I am using at the moment. Finding it really good, though I kept my weight jumps per routine down to 2.5kg, so I would not have to reset too quickly.

You seem to be going well so far. Enjoy the program.

Best Regards,

M

• Advertisement

Well it's more a reset than a start, which is why I was going up in larger than normal increments. That's stopping in a work out or two (already has for some exercises).

No Jayoo we drew unfortunately :pac:

Tuesday Day 6 (End of Week 2)

Squats 5x5 : 104lbs
    Overhead Press 4x5 & 1x4 : 69 lbs
    Deadlift 1x5 : 124 lbs
    Chin ups : 5,4,3
    Planks 3x30 seconds

Squats were nice and handy, Overhead press was difficult as usual. Really struggled in the last set of this, I have pressed more than this before but took a few weeks off so it was disappointing to fail at this. I'll attempt this weight again next time i'm overhead pressing (Sunday). Deadlifts were good. Chin ups were really good. Planks were planks

Thursday Day 7 (Start of Week 3)

Squats 5x5 : 109lbs
    Bench 5x5 : 84lbs
    Push ups 3XF : 15,9,8
    Reverse Ab Crunches 3x12

Squats were pretty handy, I am noticing them getting more difficult but they're still really easy. Bench was tough. I messed up and was using 84 lbs instead of 79, managed to do get through it though. I'm going to do this weight again next time as it was too big a skip for me. Although I don't seem to be making progress with the inverted rows I'm almost getting another rep in each set so i'm getting there. Ab crunches were ab crunches and killed me :)

Saturday
    Had a match

Sunday

Squats 5x5 : 114lbs
    Overhead Press 5x5 : 69 lbs
    Deadlift 1x5 : 144 lbs
    Pull ups : 3,2,2
    Planks 3x30 seconds

Squats were fine. Bit more difficult than last time but still pretty easy. Overhead press was a bit easier than last time when i failed on the last rep of the last set. Deadlift was good. I did some warm up sets at a lower weight to focus on form. Pull ups have 'noticeable' progress; an extra rep on the second and third set.

Tuesday Day 9(End of Week 3)

Squats 5x5 : 119lbs
    Bench 5x5 : 84lbs
    Inverted Rows 3xF : 7,6,5
    Push ups 3XF : 15,9,5
    Reverse Ab Crunches 3x12

Flew through the squats. Bench was tough. I did the same weight as last time as i skipped forward a bit too much. Got an extra rep on the last set of inverted rows. I tried a new style of push up today with my hands at the level with the bottom of my pecs. I seem to recall reading somewhere here during the week that it's better to do them there. I found these noticeably more difficult, hence the lower amount of them done.

• Advertisement

Friday (Day 1 of week 4)

Squats 5x5 : 124lbs
    Overhead Press 5x5 : 74 lbs
    Deadlift 1x5 : 154 lbs
    Chin ups : 6,4,3
    Planks 3x30 seconds

Found squats a bit tough tonight. Was delighted to get through the overhead press seeing as i had failed on 69 lbs previously. Deadlifts were good. I enjoy these. Chin ups were nice. I flew through the first couple of reps. I was using a different bar today (thinner) as the normal bar i do chins/pull ups was in use. They seemed much easier on this bar

Saturday
    Had a match

Sunday
    Didn't go to the gym as I was injured.

Tuesday Day 2 of Week 4
    Squats 5x5 : 129 lbs
    Bench Press 5x5 : 89 lbs
    Inverted Rows 3xF : 7,6,6

Was in a rush so skipped out on crunches & push ups. Squats seemed really easy, bench was okay and rows were getting better

Thursday (Day 3 of week 4)

Squats 5x5 : 134lbs
    Overhead Press 4x5 & 1x3 : 79 lbs
    Deadlift 1x5 : 164 lbs
    Pull ups : 3,2,1
    Planks 3x30 seconds

Squats were pretty easy. Overhead press i was disappointed to fail on the final set but i'm confident i'll get it next time. Starting to find deadlifts a bit difficult. I'm not sure is the weight, the bar ripping my hand or a combination of the two. I'm considering gloves but is there any point really (would like some feedback on this :p)? Disappointed with the pull ups, well the 2nd the 3rd set. I was really hoping to be able to knock out another rep on set 3, almost got a 4th on the first set though. Planks were planks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Molly wrote: »
    Starting to find deadlifts a bit difficult. I'm not sure is the weight, the bar ripping my hand or a combination of the two. I'm considering gloves but is there any point really (would like some feedback on this :p)?
    What grip are you using for the deadlift? Are both hands over or under teh bar or is it one of each?

When you start to DL a weak grip is a really common problem, especially for girls (we tend to have softer, callous-free hands!). But it just takes a bit of perseverance and you can toughen them up (without making them look awful!).

A mixed grip is where you have one hand over and one hand under the bar: it's the most slip-free grip and should help you keep control of the bar better.

alt_grip.jpg

The problem with gloves is that you won't improve your grip with them, meaning you won't be able to deadlift without them. If you find your hands get very sweaty you can use chalk too - some gyms don't allow it but to overcome that you can buy handy little climbing chalk pouches that you can roll over your hands, not a lot of chalk will come out and it doesn't spill on the floor.

Good job on the lifting, keep it up! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

have to agree with g'em, I wouldn't bother with the gloves chalk is a much better option. If chalk isn't allowed in your gym liquid chalk is probably your best bet as it really is mess free, just put some on your hands and wait for it to dry just like magic.

Other then that maybe add some farmers walks into your routine to help build some grip strength.

Oh and good work so far

Haha, I really should have stated I was male in my original post. Stupid username :p Thanks for the responses, both hands are over the bar (as in my palms would be facing my legs) I have started using chalk but only once or twice so far. I had read (can't remember where) that using a mixed grip from the off/too early was a bad idea as it generally allowed you to lift more. Thus I wanted to try and use two hands over the bar for as long as possible. I guess now is the time to change then.

Regarding the farmer's walk, i think that could be a good idea for grip improvement. I think I'll start adding this into my sessions on the days that I don't deadlift as it might be asking a bit much of my hands to deadlift and do some farmer's walks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

I had read (can't remember where) that using a mixed grip from the off/too early was a bad idea as it generally allowed you to lift more.

what part of lifting more is a bad thing though:confused:

I have problems getting my point across first thing in the morning! What i meant to say is that while it allowed you to lift more you were better off reaching your plateau with two hands over the bar before moving onto mixed grip. Now this might be a load of rubbish (I'm pretty new to this whole lifting weights thing so I find it hard to know what to believe and what not to believe from reading online). Either way I guess I'll move to a mixed grip now.

Saturday Day 13(Start of Week 5)

Squats 5x5 : 139lbs
    Bench 5x5 : 94lbs
    Inverted Rows 3xF : 8,6,5
    Push ups 3XF : 15,9,5
    Reverse Ab Crunches 3x12

Farmers walk : 50lb dumbbells 60 seconds
    Pull ups : 1x3
    Farmers walk : 50lb dumbbells 30 seconds x2

Squats were fine, bench was tough. Inverted rows i was really happy with. Almost got a ninth rep on the first set and a 6th on the last set. Progressing nicely here I feel. My second time doing this type of press ups. They are really an awful lot tougher. So following on from g'em and joe the santas advice i did some farmers walks today. Just picked up 50lb dumbbells and walked for a minute. My forearms and hands were wrecked after it. Going to try get up to 60 seconds on each walk. Did some pull ups for some reason. Enjoyable session, arms are sore now though :)

Monday Day 14(Middle of Week 5)

Squats 5x5 : 144lbs
    Overhead press 3x5 & 1x3 : 79lbs
    Deadlifts 1x5 : 174lbs
    Chin ups 3XF : 5,5,3
    Planks 3 x 30s

2 Mile run in 13 minutes.

Squats were a bit tough. I knew from the offset that the overhead press was going to be rough when i struggled with the first rep of the first set. Really struggled on the end of the third set and the fourth set wasn't happening. I'm quite disappointed with this especially when I was only one rep from completing this on Saturday. One more chance at this before I'll drop the weight a bit. Deadlifts were nice and handy today. I warmed up well, used chalk and my grip didn't give out to me. Will keep doing farmers walks on my non deadlift days though. I didn't use a mixed grip as it slipped my mind. I was flying through the first set of chin ups when my hand slipped off of the bar. Next two sets were fine. Decided i'd do a small run after finishing off. Did 2 miles in 13 minutes. Wasn't difficult but it got the heart pumping. I'm going to try increase the pace of this over the next couple of weeks. Finished off with some hamstring foam rolling as my hamstring flexibility is quite poor

• Advertisement

Wednesday Day 15(End of Week 5)

Squats 5x5 : 149lbs
    Bench 4x5 & 1x4 : 99lbs
    Inverted Rows 3xF : 7,7,5
    Push ups 3XF : 15,9,7
    Reverse Ab Crunches 3x12

Farmers walk : 50lb dumbbells 60 seconds, 45 seconds, 30 seconds

Squats were fine, bench was tough and felt a bit crap to not finish the final set (and at such a low weight). I'll get it next time.. Inverted rows I was a bit disappointed with since the last day I almost got 9 reps on the first set. Press ups are moving a long slowly. Did my farmers walks to help with my deadlift grip again today. Hands are in bits now. Forgot to bring my runners to the gym so no run today, disappointed with this as it's a stupid thing to do. Overall I wasn't too happy with this week. Poor overhead pressing and failing on the bench for the first time. Going to be extra motivated next week to get everything back on track.

Hi Molly

You seem to be progresing really well on the strong lifts program. Really enjoying it myself too.

Must ad some Farmers Walking to my own no weight days to help with my grip, as my grip is starting to fail on my DL's as well.

Keep up the good work.

Best Regards,

M

Friday Day 16(Start of Week 6)

Squats 5x5 : 154lbs
    Overhead press 5x5 : 79lbs
    Deadlifts 1x5 : 184lbs
    Pull ups 3XF : 4,2,2
    Planks 3 x 30s

Squats were pretty good, used a rack as opposed to a cage. Rack isn't facing a mirror so had to judge depth by feel. Overhead press was really good. After being disappointed in my last attempt at this I was able to fly through it today. Felt like I could possibly have got a 6th set done. Deadlifts were good, not much to say. Happy with pull ups as that's the most I've actually done. Ran 2 miles in 13 minutes again and finished up with a lot of foam rolling of my legs and back. Really happy with this session

Squats 5x5 : 159lbs
    Bench 5x5 : 99lbs
    Inverted Rows 3xF : 7,7,6
    Push ups 3XF : 15,10,7
    Reverse Ab Crunches 3x12

Farmer's walk : 50lb dumbbells 60, 45, 45

Not much to say really. No doubt in my mind that i wouldn't get 5x5 on the bench today. Rows and pushup numbers increased (slightly) on the last session. Held onto the dumbbells a bit longer today as well. Didn't run today. Will run outside tomorrow.

Wednesday Day 18(End of Week 6)

Squats 5x5 : 164lbs
    Overhead press 3x5, 1x3, 1x2 : 84lbs
    Deadlifts 1x5 : 194lbs
    Chin ups 3XF : 7,5,3
    Planks 3 x 30s

Some foam rolling

Squats were fine, overhead press I was disappointed in. I felt i got 79 pretty easily the last time. Felt good the first set and second set and went downhill from here. Will improve on this next time no doubt. Deadlifts were pretty good. I'm a bit curious about a set of deadlifts though. Lately I've been doing a rep, resetting my grip and doing a rep etc. Is this alright to do? Chins were pretty good. The last two days I have been consuming no more than 40g worth of carbs. Will see how this goes. I don't feel like it took anything out of me today but it's early days yet :)

Also I have some goals I'd like to reach before I take my christmas vacation (18 sessions left at the gym). These are (5x5)

Squat : 234 lbs
    Deadlift : 244 lbs
    Bench : 134 lbs
    Overhead Press : 104 lbs
    Pull ups : 10
    Chin ups : 12
    Inverted Rows : 12
    2 Mile Run : 10 minutes

Bench, Pull ups, and rows I feel are going to be the most difficult (I'm wondering how wrong I can be here)

Squats 5x5 : 169lbs
    Bench 5x5 : 104lbs
    Inverted Rows 3xF : 8,8,6
    Push ups 3XF : 15,10,8
    Reverse Ab Crunches 3x12

Farmer's walk : 50lb dumbbells 60, 50, 45

Squats were tough today, my legs can feel it already. I think there is still a good bit to go in the tank before i fail though. Bench was pretty tough. Rows and pushup numbers increased (slightly) on the last session. Struggling to get much more time on the farmers walks, but going to push myself to get it to a minute on each set next time. Only going to run every second session so no running today

Monday 16th of November Day 20 middle of week 7

Squats 5x5 : 174lbs
    Overhead press 3x5, 1x3, 1x3 : 84lbs :(
    Deadlifts 1x5 : 204lbs
    Chin ups 3XF : 5,3,3
    Planks 3 x 30s

Squats seem to have just snuck up on me. Finding these pretty hard now. Overhead press was marginally better than last time. If i don't get it next time I'll drop back 10% of the weight (to 74 lbs) and work from there. Deadlifts were quite hard today, gym ran out of chalk so struggled a bit more with my grip than usual. Chins I was pleased with, never done 5 before and I think this is the most I did any day so far. Planks were planks. I get pains in my left shoulder and bicep when I'm doing chins so I'm going to try get an appointment with a physio about this. Easier said than done in this country though.

Hi Molly

If you are located on Dublin's southside or don't mind traveling, I can reccommend a good physio (at least I found him very good) who is based in Dun Loaghaire, close to the Royal Marine Hotel.

His Name is Brian Thomas
    Mobile: 086 229 0449
    Mail: bth@biofitsystems.com

Usually not waiting too long for an appoinment with him.

Best Regards,

M

Thanks for the offer but I'm based in Boston :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for the offer but I'm based in Boston :)

Oops. It probably a little far to travel for a physio alright :)

Best of luck with getting it sorted.

Best Regards,

M

Advertisement