Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Speeding Tickets

Options
  • 04-12-2006 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi, Can anyone advise.....
    I was stopped after 'apparently' doing 120kph in a 100kph on the N11 in Wicklow. When I was pulled over ther guard told me my speed and when I queried it with him, he said he'd show me on his hand-held speed camera. When we went to check this out the other guard operating the camera had deleted the speed, so there was no record, despite this I have received a notice in the post and have subsequently been summonsed.
    Do they have a case against me, despite the fact that there is no evidence, no photo, nothing showing that I had exceede the speed limit?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Get thee to a solicitor for advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭lazylad

quillroad wrote:
    I was stopped after 'apparently' doing 120kph in a 100kph on the N11 in Wicklow. When I was pulled over ther guard told me my speed and when I queried it with him, he said he'd show me on his hand-held speed camera. When we went to check this out the other guard operating the camera had deleted the speed, so there was no record, despite this I have received a notice in the post and have subsequently been summonsed.
    Do they have a case against me, despite the fact that there is no evidence, no photo, nothing showing that I had exceede the speed limit?
    You have to get that checked out by solicitor. Maybe the gard had to get so many speeders before he went back to the station and he was hungry for donuts and coffee and you have to pay the excuse for that? Check it out, don't leave it rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

lazylad wrote:
    You have to get that checked out by solicitor. Maybe the gard had to get so many speeders before he went back to the station and he was hungry for donuts and coffee and you have to pay the excuse for that? Check it out, don't leave it rest.

Or maybe he was speeding and got caught,

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Even so, proper process has to be followed. The Gardaí must produce the evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

quillroad wrote:

The 2 Gardaí can prosecute that you were caught at that speed on the summons and that will satisfy most judges as it is evidence you exceeded the relevant limit. In your defence, they must, if requested provide a paper evidence of you exceeding said speed limit when they said you did, if it was recorded electronically.

If you look at the ticket you were sent, it will say that you are alleged to have been caught at X Speed at such a such location in a Y LImit Zone. Your options are to either confess and pay the €80 and take the points within 28 Days or you can take it to court. If you fail in the court, you will end up with 4 points and a heavier fine, not to mention legal fees and time off work, if you get off you have a clean bib.

What I would suggest to you at this stage is ask for a paper proof of you exceeding the limit ASAP to ascertain if they have a paper proof, if they do cough up, if not then consult a half decent consul. You should take note though, a solicitor will cost you €400+ to show up and maybe get off €80 so work it out if you feel the risk is worth it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement