Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How bad is bread, wraps etc for you when trying to lose fat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Darkslide

I probably eat 2000 calories+ per day. Meals are different sizes, most my calories are not had at lunch, tend to be in the evening.

Out of interest, what's a typical dinner then?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Darkslide wrote: »
    Out of interest, what's a typical dinner then?

Hi Darkslide, i don't really have a typical dinner as it varies every day. The last two were massaman curry with mixed veg, roast cashews, tofu and noodles. The one before was a red wine chickpea and mushroom/veg dish.

A personal favourite is peanut butter stew and brown rice.

TheVeganStoner-PeanutStew.jpg

I add a lot more veg to it though. I generally eat a few times in the evening and have been known to go through some amount of broccoli.

Here are some indian/chinese dishes :pac:
    Also doa lot of steamed veg + protein meals, seitan etc.

http://i.imgur.com/LQf7V.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/aATax.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Gp5x4.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/aXQ931O.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/u1ZHm.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/PDuPi.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/58gM9tZ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/19rsr.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/rl5Lqox.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/YA5k0.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/QghEG.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I'm the one who lost 12kg in 7 weeks.

I was obese to begin with, in answer to someone's query.

I do cardio 4 times a week (changing things up this week though to include weights/classes) and I eat three meals a day.

I do not starve myself; I'm so against people who go on crash diets to lose weight quickly and I believe losing weight sensibly is the best way.
    I don't have a massive appetite and get full very quickly.

My typical day's food would be either a boiled egg with wholegrain toast and tea for breakfast, a large mixed salad with protein for lunch (OR I might have three or four cream crackers with LowLow cheese spread if I fancy that...that's what I enjoy eating and it does fill me up until dinner).

Dinner will be home-made Bolognese, curry, Shepherd's Pie etc, all served with vegetables instead of rice/spuds/pasta.

Cutting carbs out in the evening has been hugely beneficial for me.
    I used to feel bloated and as if I had over-eaten, plus my portion sizes for spuds/pasta/rice were too big.
    Eating meat/fish with veg in the evening is good for me because I feel satisfied but not bloated.

I am never starving; I snack on fruit or almonds/cashews/walnuts, Greek yogurt with berries and I drink lots of water.

I drink alcohol one night a week and I have whatever I fancy to eat one day a week.

I'm happy with how I'm doing this; I don't think 12kg in 7 weeks is drastic. As I said, I'm not starving myself and I'm not obsessing.
    I actually thought I had a good attitude towards what I was doing.

I cut out almost all carbs at the very start of my weightloss journey but for me it wasn't sustainable and I have re-introduced them at breakfast/lunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Darkslide

Wow! Looks great. Cheers. I'll try it sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭_davidsmith_

fussyonion wrote: »
    I'm the one who lost 12kg in 7 weeks.

I was obese to begin with, in answer to someone's query.

I do cardio 4 times a week (changing things up this week though to include weights/classes) and I eat three meals a day.

I do not starve myself; I'm so against people who go on crash diets to lose weight quickly and I believe losing weight sensibly is the best way.
    I don't have a massive appetite and get full very quickly.

My typical day's food would be either a boiled egg with wholegrain toast and tea for breakfast, a large mixed salad with protein for lunch (OR I might have three or four cream crackers with LowLow cheese spread if I fancy that...that's what I enjoy eating and it does fill me up until dinner).

Dinner will be home-made Bolognese, curry, Shepherd's Pie etc, all served with vegetables instead of rice/spuds/pasta.

Cutting carbs out in the evening has been hugely beneficial for me.
    I used to feel bloated and as if I had over-eaten, plus my portion sizes for spuds/pasta/rice were too big.
    Eating meat/fish with veg in the evening is good for me because I feel satisfied but not bloated.

I am never starving; I snack on fruit or almonds/cashews/walnuts, Greek yogurt with berries and I drink lots of water.

I drink alcohol one night a week and I have whatever I fancy to eat one day a week.

I'm happy with how I'm doing this; I don't think 12kg in 7 weeks is drastic. As I said, I'm not starving myself and I'm not obsessing.
    I actually thought I had a good attitude towards what I was doing.

I cut out almost all carbs at the very start of my weightloss journey but for me it wasn't sustainable and I have re-introduced them at breakfast/lunch.

Excellent! much like myself so, best thing that you found something that worked and stick to it, thats harder than the excersise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ISOP

I lost 16 kilo's in twelve weeks by almost cutting out all sugar out of my diet, I went from 92 to 76. I cut out bread, alcohol and all processed food, i was amazed by the results, now I drink once or twice a week and eat what I want at the weekends and am well able to maintain the weight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Teflon Ron

ISOP wrote: »
    I lost 16 kilo's in twelve weeks by almost cutting out all sugar out of my diet, I went from 92 to 76. I cut out bread, alcohol and all processed food, i was amazed by the results, now I drink once or twice a week and eat what I want at the weekends and am well able to maintain the weight

Nice one.

What was a typical days food when you were doing that? Looking for ideas myself. Need to lose some weight!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Nuts102

I have started preparing my own lunch when bringing it to work to try have chicken most days which i love.

Could anyone give me an idea of which option they think is better, and maybe an estimate of the calories for each.

I cook either two chicken fillers in coconut oil and a drop of soya sauce and eat them.

Or else i cook one of them and put it in one of those round crusty rolls with no butter and ketchup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

Just to state first - I am a coeliac so my experience/opinion may be completely different from that of a non-coeliac.

The one thing I have removed from my diet is - Yeast.

Spoke to a professor a year or so ago about gastric issues I was having with being bloated and he advised that I try remove yeast from my diet. He stated to me (very strongly) the yeast was (and I quote) "Poison".

I have removed yeast and dairy from my diet and (for me) no more bloating and upper/lower abdominal bloating.

My diet has changed a lot also. I boil 5 chicken breasts for the week, some mixed leaves, tomatoes, (feta) cheese (I know it's 'dairy') green beans, olives and sweet chili dressing EVERY day for lunch.

to answer your question " How bad is bread, wraps etc for you when trying to lose fat" (for me) it is toxic stuff - even the gluten free equivalent. (other people will feel differently) but I feel that bread and wraps should have no place in a persons daily diet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 Tyrell Wellick

So what is the 'healthiest' bread?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

So what is the 'healthiest' bread?

IMO, if you have to have bread, brown soda bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

doovdela wrote: »
    I'd suggest to not necessarily cut out bread, pasta and rice. You could just opt for gluten free, or low protein ones. Drain the pasta and rice with water to get rid of the starch which should help reduce the likelihood of developing into fat/sugar.

This is going back a bit but:

Gluten free is pointless unless you're gluten intolerant.
    Low protein bread would just mean you're getting less protein which is a bad thing for most people.
    Draining pasta and rice doesn't get rid of starch, they're made of starch.
    All carbs turn into blood sugar.

Literally everything you said in this post is wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 PGE2

Zillah wrote: »
    This is going back a bit but:

Gluten free is pointless unless you're gluten intolerant.
    Low protein bread would just mean you're getting less protein which is a bad thing for most people.
    Draining pasta and rice doesn't get rid of starch, they're made of starch.
    All carbs turn into blood sugar.

Literally everything you said in this post is wrong.

Gluten free is most definitely not pointless, studies have shown that wheat and gluten have harmful effects, and may cause and may in fact cause cancer and autoimmune diseases.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

PGE2 wrote: »
    Gluten free is most definitely not pointless, studies have shown that wheat and gluten have harmful effects, and may cause and may in fact cause cancer and autoimmune diseases.

Link?

keane2097 wrote: »
    Link?

ww.greenmedinfo.com/toxic-ingredient/wheat

It's not just gluten that is harmful, grains in general are toxic to the human body.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's not just gluten that is harmful, grains in general are toxic to the human body.

That seems lieke a reliable source, at first I was going to take olive oil to prevent cancer, but then i saw tumeric prevents cancer and also is for weightloss, bargain. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You should send that link onto bodies conducting cancer research because they don't think there's are any meaningful studies that demonstrate that gluten causes cancer.

You should send that link onto bodies conducting cancer research because they don't think there's are any meaningful studies that demonstrate that gluten causes cancer.

The studies have shown that wheat and other grains are toxic to the human body. They strip the body of nutritional value with anti nutrients, they cause leaky gut and contain lectins which can essentially train the human body to attack itself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

The studies have shown that wheat and other grains are toxic to the human body. They strip the body of nutritional value with anti nutrients, they cause leaky gut and contain lectins which can essentially train the human body to attack itself.

Cancer is cell division gone mad, not the human body attacking itself.

Cancer is cell division gone mad, not the human body attacking itself.

I never said cancer is the body attacking itself. The body attacking itself refers to autoimmune diseases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

So which part is the cancer causing part?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I never said cancer is the body attacking itself. The body attacking itself refers to autoimmune diseases.

And those autoimmune diseases refer to gluten intolerance, which like hayfever is the body reacting badly to an external stimulus.

Those without gluten intolerance don't need to avoid wheat etc just like those without hayfever don't need to avoid pollen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Sigh.

And those autoimmune diseases refer to gluten intolerance, which like hayfever is the body reacting badly to an external stimulus.

Those without gluten intolerance don't need to avoid wheat etc just like those without hayfever don't need to avoid pollen.

Even if one is not "gluten intolerant", eating foods containing gluten such as wheat is bad for your body, the anti nutrients render other nutrients on the body bio unavailable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Anti-nutrients.

Right so.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

That seems lieke a reliable source, at first I was going to take olive oil to prevent cancer, but then i saw tumeric prevents cancer and also is for weightloss, bargain. :p

I liked the article that explained that cancer is caused by animal protein and not genetic mutation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 Tyrell Wellick

I'm going to forego bread for cream crackers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 Dan Carter

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Anti-nutrients.

Right so.

Do you have a question about anti nutrients?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Dan Carter wrote: »
    Do you have a question about anti nutrients?

I have an auntie Noreen, a lovely lady.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭sHnaCk

Hi All, coming in at the end of all this and see a few educated answers and then others that were filtered from doctors, pharma companies or food companies in general. (no difference really). Doctors run on what they are told. No disrespect to any Doctor by the way - just a truth based on the fact that the world is now obese, really obese. Doctors have been telling us, and the pharma have been telling doctors; that cholesterol from animals, dairy etc is the big evil. BUT - pharma sell statins and insulin... doctors prescribe - yes you guessed it, statins and insulin. neither hypothesis is based on reality but rather on marketing! Why not google to find out how much real research and NOT corporate funded or lobbied research is out there.
    So... cholesterol has been blamed for heart disease for a long time and yet more than 50% of people who die from "heart disease" are on statins and have normal cholesterol. see here hmmm... that cant be right! Can it? It's a bit like the Guarda been blamed for the murder because he was found at the scene!
    The truth which is freely available if you choose to remove the big business filter is this;
    Inflammation of everything from brain to organs to aww... you guessed again; arteries, which is cause by sugar and carbs (no difference between the 2 as they both get turned straight to fat and are toxic!) is what causes heart disease. Cholesterol is sent to the area of inflammation to fix you and is then blamed for the heart disease, stroke etc. obviously diabetes is in the mix due to the body having to deal with yep... you smarty pants, sugar/carbs as it creates insulin to deal with all the toxic sugar.
    Here's the low down; the body gets inflamed so it manufacturers more cholesterol in the liver. (dietary cholesterol has very little to do with actual cholesterol made by the body). The "bad" cholesterol, LDL, actually has 2 parts or particles- 1 large and 1 small. it is only the small particle that is the problem as it sticks in the damaged arteries or plaque caused by the INFLAMMATION which is caused by the carbs and sugar. The truth is that if you tackle the INFLAMMATION caused by sugar and carbs then cholesterol is totally benign and meaningless. If you ask your doctor for the this I can almost guarentee you that he/she will not know what you are talking about because their sponsors, I mean drug suppliers, do not want them to know the truth either.
    Ask yourself and your doctor the following: Who the heck decided that your cholesterol (which if you bothered reading the link) should be X or Y??? the only answer you can and will come back with is the name of a drug company who couldn't give a $£"& about you me or the doctor.

So YES - bread, wraps etc for you when trying to lose fat is bad and toxic for you! These lists are what you should be eating to get your life back. Start thinking for yourself and listen to your body.

Advertisement