Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freesat+ Box or other suggestions!

• 02-09-2015 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

So I moved into an apartment that had a Sky dish already in place so I transferred my sub to it, negotiated a plan and all was well.

Unfortunately though there's a load of trees behind the block and the dish is too low to get a full signal, so as a result the picture often breaks up in bad weather/decent winds and the box will freeze entirely (while still showing th current channel) until you reboot.

As a result there's no point in me paying for a sub under those circumstances. They sent out an engineer who suggested either raising the dish (not really an option as it'd involve drilling into someone else's wall) or felling trees (can't see the estate agent doing that) so I've cancelled the sub - no contract thankfully.

BUT... it does still work a lot of the time so I'm thinking of throwing an official (I want a proper EPG) Freesat HD/+ PVR box on and just using that. I see Humax boxes for €300 but I'm not willing to pay that much for it under the circumstances.. all I want is a Freesat box, with the EPG and the option to record/pause etc - either via an included HDD or an external USB one.

Saorview not important.. well it is, but my TV supports it natively and I can't receive the signal anyway. External aerial not a runner either for the same reason... renting! :(

Any suggestions? It'd be great if you could just get all the above legally over IP/internet as the one thing that does work right is the unlimited fibre :)

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭kooga

why not consider the humax hb 1000s model an external hard drive recorder can be plugged in , you should be able to buy both combined for sub €150

• Registered Users Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

kooga wrote: »
    why not consider the humax hb 1000s model an external hard drive recorder can be plugged in , you should be able to buy both combined for sub €150

Looks good.. Dual satellite inputs would be nice but I could live with one. Prices seem to be more in the €100-150 range unless I'm missing the "go to" source for such things? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

How does a Humax FOXSAT-HDR compare? Seems an older model but more features? (native HDD and dual input)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭kooga

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Looks good.. Dual satellite inputs would be nice but I could live with one. Prices seem to be more in the €100-150 range unless I'm missing the "go to" source for such things? :)
    Humax 117 € delivered from richersounds Belfast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

• Advertisement
Advertisement