Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coeliac food recommendations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Lidl have Kelkin GF foods on special this week
    http://www.lidl.ie/en/4863.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I really am not fond of Kelkin or Juvela GF foods, but I like the bread and biscuits, porridge and cornflakes that Aldi have at the moment. Its like a gift to eat something GF from the supermarket, and it tastes nice too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I really am not fond of Kelkin or Juvela GF foods, but I like the bread and biscuits, porridge and cornflakes that Aldi have at the moment. Its like a gift to eat something GF from the supermarket, and it tastes nice too!

I was in my local Aldi on Monday and they also had GF lasagne sheets :) Haven't tried them yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

Cork_girl wrote: »
    I was in my local Aldi on Monday and they also had GF lasagne sheets :) Haven't tried them yet though.

The Aldi GF range really is fantastic - they even had onion rings and bacon fries in recently - I thought I'd never get to taste them again! I buy the porridge, pasta,and multiseed bread as staples. The cornflakes are good too. I love the ginger biscuits but try not to buy them as I can't stop eating them!

I must get the lasagne sheets and make it for the first time in many years - thanks for the tip!

I must get the lasagne sheets and make it for the first time in many years - thanks for the tip!

The lasagne was gorgeous! It's a bit of a faff as you have to boil the sheets first (the last time I made lasagne it was with the normal quick cook stuff that you don't need to pre-cook). However the sheets held together well and didn't stick to each other and the end result was yummy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭patmac

Anyone living in Athlone and Mullingar should check out Hanna's homemade Gluten free bread and cakes, gorgeous, available in Super Valu.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭candle_wax

I made Sowan's GF bread from a mix packet the other day, and I'm so impressed. It's soft/dense, kind of like soda bread, and has stayed fresh after being sealed up in the fridge (I just had a sandwich today [Fri] after making it on Wed afternoon and still perfect - very filling too).

From memory it's mainly a combination of brown rice flour, soya flour, and potato flour (and raising agents, not sure if xantham gum in it). You just add 500ml of milk and an egg.

I got it for €1.99 in Aldi before Christmas but just got round to making it.

The lasagne was gorgeous! It's a bit of a faff as you have to boil the sheets first (the last time I made lasagne it was with the normal quick cook stuff that you don't need to pre-cook). However the sheets held together well and didn't stick to each other and the end result was yummy.

Any tips on boiling sheets of lasagne - they always stick together!!

Agreed though, really tasty! Made it this week and it is disappearing quickly ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭NinetyForNone

Cork_girl wrote: »
    Any tips on boiling sheets of lasagne - they always stick together!!
    I think trick is do them individually, if you have the patience.

I think trick is do them individually, if you have the patience.

These ones didn't stick - that's what really impressed me!

Aldi have GF pizzas coming up in their specials.

• Advertisement

These ones didn't stick - that's what really impressed me!

There goes the diet, Marco's GF Pizza are available in some Super Valu's.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭candle_wax

I was full of good intentions last night... then saw these Embrace pizzas on sale in ALDI frozen section - was about €2.90 for Margherita. It was grand - I generally prefer GF pizzas with a much thinner base (Milanos are delicious), but this wasn't bad at all and hit the spot! Pepperoni also available (for €3.50 I think).

candle_wax wrote: »
    I was full of good intentions last night... then saw these Embrace pizzas on sale in ALDI frozen section - was about €2.90 for Margherita. It was grand - I generally prefer GF pizzas with a much thinner base (Milanos are delicious), but this wasn't bad at all and hit the spot! Pepperoni also available (for €3.50 I think).

I haven't tried the pizzas yet but the apple tarts are amazing and are going to do serious damage to my waistline! They also have pancakes and soda bread as new items in the "Has No" range - both good!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 angela8915

Anyone in lucan the gluten free goodie is now doing apple tarts.. they are nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭NinetyForNone

angela8915 wrote: »
    Anyone in lucan the gluten free goodie
    I haven't heard of if. Where is it located? Is a shop or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ballinasloex

Can anyone recommend a wheat /gluten. Free cereal bar please?

Can anyone recommend a wheat /gluten. Free cereal bar please?

9 bars are GF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Goodtooth

Slaygal wrote: »
    Prego's in Ballyowen SC Lucan offer GF Free Pizzas and Pastas. I think I read somewhere that The Coeliac Society approves this restaurant. I'm open to correction.
    Mario's in Ranelagh ( now owned by the same people) are offering the same. :D Pizza is one of the foods I really missed.

The Market Bar in Fade St Dublin 2 offer GF food and it's clearly marked on the menu. The Fish Stew is gorgeous.

The Glutenfreefoodie makes GF Bread and Cakes available in a couple of places around Lucan and Clondalkin.

Genius range make bread that tastes gorgeous, Dunnes stock it.

EcoDirect in Parkwest carry a wide range of GF foods.

Just to clarify, Marios Ranelagh do not serve gluten free pizza. It does serve gluten free penne and all the sauces are guten free. I'm speaking as a staff member, so that's for sure!!

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭rsl1976

Spring Valley Meat shop in Coolock sell lovely GF steak burgers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

The Aldi GF range really is fantastic - they even had onion rings and bacon fries in recently - I thought I'd never get to taste them again! I buy the porridge, pasta,and multiseed bread as staples. The cornflakes are good too. I love the ginger biscuits but try not to buy them as I can't stop eating them!
    Q

What bolognese sauce do you use?

• Advertisement

What bolognese sauce do you use?

Just make one yourself- a simple sauce with tins of plum tomatoes, garlic, some herbs, salt and pepper won't let you down!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 cacdit2016

What is a good website for recipes for coeliacs?

Goodfellas are doing GF Pizzas now available in Tescos and nice they are too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

patmac wrote: »
    Goodfellas are doing GF Pizzas now available in Tescos and nice they are too.

found the base decent it was smothered with cheap cheese though :eek: didnt like :(

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

Can anyone recommend a recipe or a bought brand of Chinese dumpling wrappers or something similar? I'm going to try the rice summer roll wrappers, but have been told they don't have the best texture once steamed.

Also, I tried the M&S gf coffee cake. The flavour was delicious, but the cake left a mealey texture in my mouth. The corn chips are very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 abdobal

Thanks that's good information

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

Anyone know of a nice gluten free bread? all the ones you get in supermarkets taste the same and are not bad toasted but not nice at all for regular sandwiches!
    Be great to be able to get fresh gluten free bread but I've yet to see anywhere doing it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Anyone know of a nice gluten free bread? all the ones you get in supermarkets taste the same and are not bad toasted but not nice at all for regular sandwiches!
    Be great to be able to get fresh gluten free bread but I've yet to see anywhere doing it!

I found the aldi bread the nicest of all of them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,512 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

If you want a nice gluten free bread you should try the DS Wholesome bread. It is really nice.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement