Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stillorgan Bowl 1965 international masters

• 19-04-2010 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

65-lineup.jpg

Did you know Stillorgan Bowl was the location of the first AMF World Cup in 1965? There is a photo from it.
    http://www.qubicaamf.com/Files/worldcup/ar/1965.htm
    Ireland's only bowling center, 12-lane Stillorgan Bowl in Dublin was selected to launch the International Masters. The male champions from 20 nations (women were introduced to the format in 1972) included a variety of talents and occupations ranging from the U.S.'s Tom Hathaway, who was the American Bowling Congress all-events champion that year, to Frank Duffy, Stillorgan's mechanic and winner of the Irish national roll off. (Unfortunately for Mr. Duffy, he overslept the morning of the opening ceremonies, and not only lost his position in the tournament to rival Des Murphy, but his job at Stillorgan, too!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Excellent pic! :)

Weirdly, I know of two Frank Duffy's who lived in Stillorgan at that time (Patrician Villas). At least one of them bowled too. One is unfortunately no longer with us but I might ask the other if he's the Frank Duffy mentioned :)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭tariqbutt

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Excellent pic! :)

Weirdly, I know of two Frank Duffy's who lived in Stillorgan at that time (Patrician Villas). At least one of them bowled too. One is unfortunately no longer with us but I might ask the other if he's the Frank Duffy mentioned :)

wow brilliant, yeah it would be great if you could find out what happened to him.

Ok, had a chat with my Mam and the Des Murphy mentioned there was actually one of the owners of Stillorgan bowl.

The Frank Duffy thing is a bit hit and miss. My Grandfather (Frank Duffy [RIP]) worked as a mechanic and lane maintenance tech in Stillorgan for a while and during the competition mentioned. However, he was never a bowler! So either there was another Frank Duffy who was also a mechanic at Stillorgan and was a bowler too, or there was a Frank Duffy who was a mechanic AND a Frank Duffy who was a bowler.

My Grandfather suffered from ill-health and died young. He had to give up the work in Stillorgan within three months of starting due to ill-health so the bit about being 'sacked' doesn't add up but with his ill-health it wouldn't surprise me if he slept in one morning. I didn't want to quiz my Mam too much on this as she was only a teenager when he died...

Fascinating thread (for me anyway :)). I must try to dig into it a bit more.

The other Frank Duffy that I know of who bowled is my uncle but he didn't bowl in the competition in 1965, he was only a young teenager back then.

Ok, had a chat with my Mam and the Des Murphy mentioned there was actually one of the owners of Stillorgan bowl.

The Frank Duffy thing is a bit hit and miss. My Grandfather (Frank Duffy [RIP]) worked as a mechanic and lane maintenance tech in Stillorgan for a while and during the competition mentioned. However, he was never a bowler! So either there was another Frank Duffy who was also a mechanic at Stillorgan and was a bowler too, or there was a Frank Duffy who was a mechanic AND a Frank Duffy who was a bowler.

My Grandfather suffered from ill-health and died young. He had to give up the work in Stillorgan within three months of starting due to ill-health so the bit about being 'sacked' doesn't add up but with his ill-health it wouldn't surprise me if he slept in one morning. I didn't want to quiz my Mam too much on this as she was only a teenager when he died...

The other Frank Duffy that I know of who bowled is my uncle but he didn't bowl in the competition in 1965, he was only a young teenager back then.

Wow the plot thickens! That really is interesting stuff, thanks for sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tomhemp

this frank duffy is alive and well playing golf in old conna in bray his brother dave appears in fair city. a bowler by the name of lauri auento won the compatition that year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭donaghs

Any more old photos of Stillorgan Bowl? There's a good overhead photo on the South Dublin forum, looks like across the road is about to be demolished before the shopping centre is built

donaghs wrote: »
    Any more old photos of Stillorgan Bowl? There's a good overhead photo on the South Dublin forum, looks like across the road is about to be demolished before the shopping centre is built

Do you have a link to that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bobgallico

tomhemp wrote: »
    this frank duffy is alive and well playing golf in old conna in bray his brother dave appears in fair city. a bowler by the name of lauri auento won the compatition that year

Yes- Lauri was a left-hander like me......that's as close as I came to being World Master's Champion...LOL Couldn't take part in the roll-off as I didn't have an Irish passport.... Was tough for Frank, but Des Murphy launched a long and successful bowling career....steady as a rock for many years to come.....I played with Des on Senior teams a few times and we did get a trios medal together, along with Mick Mulcahy in Livepool one year....
    I played with Frank on one of the original Thursday night teams when the Bowl opened - the Diplomats - the team from the American Embasssy. He was a lovely guy, always cheerful...his bowling style originally was pretty straightforward....a 100 MPH straightball !!!

bobgallico wrote: »
    Yes- Lauri was a left-hander like me......that's as close as I came to being World Master's Champion...LOL Couldn't take part in the roll-off as I didn't have an Irish passport.... Was tough for Frank, but Des Murphy launched a long and successful bowling career....steady as a rock for many years to come.....I played with Des on Senior teams a few times and we did get a trios medal together, along with Mick Mulcahy in Livepool one year....
    I played with Frank on one of the original Thursday night teams when the Bowl opened - the Diplomats - the team from the American Embasssy. He was a lovely guy, always cheerful...his bowling style originally was pretty straightforward....a 100 MPH straightball !!!

Which Frank Duffy are you talking about? The one mentioned in original post? Do you know if he is related to the other frank duffys mentioned the post quoted below?

Stillorgan Bowl and Nimble Fingers Interior

63182_473393762730370_987607352_n.jpg

• Advertisement

donaghs wrote: »

stillorgan 1960s now leisureplex and stillorgan shopping centre

558613_494990040529924_949347900_n.jpg

tariqbutt wrote: »
    stillorgan 1960s now leisureplex and stillorgan shopping centre
    Wow, my Mum would have loved to have seen that old photo. She would have remembered the place before the shopping centre was built. Thanks for sharing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Just reading the Bob Galico comments, it's hard to believe he's not with us anymore.. I must share this with some radio friends!

Advertisement