Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ross O'Carroll Kelly: The TV Series

Options
  • 26-08-2011 8:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

I've read all the books - some are much better than others, I don't particularly like the softening of the character in recent ones, I saw the recent Live show - very good it was too.

I've been surprised there's been no attempt to make it into a TV series.

It's very well written with defined characters, situations & locations. We're not great at doing comedy here, but this is one thing which I believe would be well made/received - anything's got to be better than Mrs Brown & that got nominated for a BAFTA ?!?

There's approximately seven years of material to be drawn on which in TV terms is a veritable goldmine. Although the earlier ones are the funniest, I believe there's more value in the later ones.

Would you watch it if it was made & do you think they could do it justice ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

iMax wrote: »

I read the thread title and assumed that one was being made... my first thought was "jesus that fairly making the series after the horse has bolted"... If they had timed it right, it could have been worth a shot.. but not now in the depths of recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

5 yrs ago maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

I think now would be good, because we can look back & laugh at all that stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Read the first few books recently to see what the fuss was about, and I'm still none the wiser, the humor was totally lost on me :confused:

Maybe if done right a TV version might work ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

It was/is very much of its time and dates very quickly so it wouldn't really work on tv imo.
    Also it would need excellent actors/actresses to pull it off successfully.

I recall someone doing a sketch of it on some show - probably a 5 minute slot on the Late Late slot or similar and it was dire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jazzy cian

Wouldn't be my cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

iMax wrote: »
    I've read all the books - some are much better than others, I don't particularly like the softening of the character in recent ones, I saw the recent Live show - very good it was too.

I've been surprised there's been no attempt to make it into a TV series.

It's very well written with defined characters, situations & locations. We're not great at doing comedy here, but this is one thing which I believe would be well made/received - anything's got to be better than Mrs Brown & that got nominated for a BAFTA ?!?

There's approximately seven years of material to be drawn on which in TV terms is a veritable goldmine. Although the earlier ones are the funniest, I believe there's more value in the later ones.

It's never going to happen as they'd never make their money back. They'd be reliant on the domestic market and that's not enough to warrant a show, for the risk taken. Also within the domestic market it'd be a particular demographic so it's just not broad enough, with no chance of mass appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

No, No , and No.

Yes the humour is great but its very niche at the same time, in all likelyhood the vast majority of the current readers are based in the south dublin area and i doubt many people outside of this region have much interest in a series of this or would get the humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Couldn't imagine seeing this on the TV, I'd imagine it would be so cringe inducing that it would be unbearable to watch. I love the books btw but didn't really enjoy the stage show all that much either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

It's never going to happen as they'd never make their money back. They'd be reliant on the domestic market and that's not enough to warrant a show, for the risk taken. Also within the domestic market it'd be a particular demographic so it's just not broad enough, with no chance of mass appeal.

Killinascully

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭sonic85

wouldnt watch a show based on that sh!t if it was on every station. rather take up knitting

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Killinascully

I agree however there are enough people out there who like it and other bizarre **** like Mrs. Browns boys etc, alot more so than would watch ross on tv

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Killinascully

That has a much broader appeal so isn't a valid comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Live4Ever

The only people who get Ross and it's humour are D4s / south Dublin people or boggers who went to college in Dublin and know what some of them are like. It'd never work on tv. Books are great and the irish times magazine weekly story is great too.

Advertisement