Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Abortion Discussion, Part Trois

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Daith wrote: »
    Does the fetus have less rights now that the mother is in the UK?

It gives women a constitutional right to travel with the full knowledge they are availing of services which are illegal in Ireland.
    But as I stated above, it does not indemnify them from prosecution. Therefore it technically doesn't alter the status of the foetus at all, as extraterritorial prosecution is still applicable, though never enacted apparently.

Edit: sorry there, I'm not sure if I responded to something you've retracted or we have some weirdness to to the thread moving.

robindch wrote: »
    (placeholder)
    May I ask why trois? Ou est part deux?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    May I why trois? Ou est part deux?
    The other thread was part deux.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

• Registered Users Posts: 17,489 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Last thread was aborted.

14 years for robindch

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I knew it'd happen once they let the Syrians in....we're speakin the Arab now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

Last thread was aborted.
    14 years for robindch

robindch was out of the country at the time so it's grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

kylith wrote: »
    My question was worded to suggest that a foetus at 12 weeks gestation, which does not have a functioning brain, nervous system, eyes, ears, lungs, or anything that would be necessary to consider it a 'person' other than human DNA is not a person. .
    Can you point out which words suggested that?
    And also worded to suggest that terminating said brainless, nerveless, earless, eyeless, lungless foetus, is nowhere near as bad as raping an actual, living, functioning, independently viable human female with a brain, thoughts, emotions, and experiences.
    I think I got where you said that prefering to rape a 12 year old over performing an abortion at 12 weeks is inhuman. I think you must have left out the words you intended to suggest the hyperbole?
    That fact that you can equate a human female with a foetus is shocking to me. As is the fact that someone could ever consider the termination of an insensible foetus as worse than the brutal rape of a woman.
    The fact that you would choose to either rape someone or to kill someone is shocking to me. I guess we all have different point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Such a missed opportunity not calling it "Third Trimester". :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭robdonn

Kev W wrote: »

If we did that then we would be legally obliged to continue unless the thread became a threat to our lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭wench

Kev W wrote: »
    That would imply we could reach a conclusion in the next 10,000 posts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭robdonn

wench wrote: »
    That would imply we could reach a conclusion in the next 10,000 posts!

After the next 10,000 posts the next thread will have to be called "Abortion Discussion, 40+"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

A bunch of posts have been moved over from the Hazards of Belief thread.

#busyaroundheretoday

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 33,825 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Paywall link. ah, viewable if you let it set a cookie.
    WASHINGTON — House Republicans vented their rage against Planned Parenthood on Friday, voting to block all federal financing for the organization, which they accused of profiting from the sale of aborted fetuses for medical research. It was unclear, however, if the vote would mollify conservative lawmakers who have threatened to force a government shutdown over the abortion issue.

:rolleyes:
    Neither the Planned Parenthood bill, which passed 241 to 187, nor a second anti-abortion measure approved on Friday has any chance of becoming law because of opposition from Senate Democrats and President Obama.

Just like trying to repeal Obamacare, they are wasting their time on pointless crap instead of governing their country. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Life ain't always empty.

Once again, the can of worms bobs to the surface.....

"Ms Y, the asylum seeker who last year unsuccessfully sought an abortion after arriving in Ireland pregnant as a result of an alleged rape, will issue personal injury proceeding against 11 named respondents “in coming weeks”.
    Miss Y’s solicitor, Caoimhe Haughey, has also been invited to comment on a draft of the independent review of the HSE’s July 2014 decision, to seek a High Court order to forcibly hydrate Miss Y, who was on hunger and thirst strike at the time.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/ms-y-to-sue-11-respondents-over-abortion-refusal-1.2357456

There's a new Breda O'Brien article on there somewhere about abortion as well. Can't face it meself tbh.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Can't say I blame her for taking a case, hope she wins it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

Nodin wrote: »
    Once again, the can of worms bobs to the surface.....

"Ms Y, the asylum seeker who last year unsuccessfully sought an abortion after arriving in Ireland pregnant as a result of an alleged rape, will issue personal injury proceeding against 11 named respondents “in coming weeks”.
    Miss Y’s solicitor, Caoimhe Haughey, has also been invited to comment on a draft of the independent review of the HSE’s July 2014 decision, to seek a High Court order to forcibly hydrate Miss Y, who was on hunger and thirst strike at the time.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/ms-y-to-sue-11-respondents-over-abortion-refusal-1.2357456

There's a new Breda O'Brien article on there somewhere about abortion as well. Can't face it meself tbh.

Although this will never compensate or make up for what this girl went through in our "lovely" country I hope she gets the winning end of this one.

Here's a handy and concise summary of Breda yesterday: I know best. Women talk to me about abortion which is fierce useful for my anecdotes as data approach to my columns. References to dead refugee child for some reason. Abortion always murder. I know best, so just follow my lead.

• Advertisement

lazygal wrote: »
    Here's a handy and concise summary of Breda yesterday: I know best. Women talk to me about abortion which is fierce useful for my anecdotes as data approach to my columns. References to dead refugee child for some reason. Abortion always murder. I know best, so just follow my lead.

Thank you for suffering on my behalf. I hope you didn't puke on anything that's difficult to clean.

Nodin wrote: »
    Thank you for suffering on my behalf. I hope you didn't puke on anything that's difficult to clean.

My eyes did feel a little sore from rolling so much.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Can't say I blame her for taking a case, hope she wins it

There is always the possibility - overall - that where decency and compassion fail, fear of a feckin huge payout will triumph. Sad, but there ye go.

Will the people and organizations involved in her "care" be named?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,836 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I'd hazard a guess "womenhurt.ie" is one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

They should be a matter of public record. Justice must be done and be seen to be done, after all.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

MrPudding wrote: »
    They should be a matter of public record. Justice must be done and be seen to be done, after all.
    Aren't the organisations already a matter of public record? As for people... perhaps it would be prudent to see if there's any evidence of wrongdoing by anyone before they're subjected to a witch hunt?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

What woman in her right mind would talk to Breda about her abortion.. Why would you :eek:
    Its like right, I had an abortion and want to talk about it, lets find the most judgemental person on the topic I can

Though deemed entitled to an abortion under the terms of the Protection of Life During Pregnancy Act, she did not receive one.
    If she didn't receive the appropriate medical care mandated by Irish law then that's definite malpractice. Maybe when doctors start to lose their jobs (which will be never) they might take notice.
    The question over whether it was appropriate to seek an order to forcibly hydrate her when she was not mentally impaired was raised subsequently.
    Not sure how this works. She was diagnosed as suicidal but not mentally impaired? That's admitting that being suicidal is an appropriate response to the "care" she received from the HSE!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭volchitsa

If she didn't receive the appropriate medical care mandated by Irish law then that's definite malpractice.
    You'd expect, wouldn't you?
    Remember all that fuss at the time about whether she'd had a termination of pregnancy or not, as per the act? The Act doesn't actually say the word abortion, but otoh, it doesn't say termination either.
    IIRC it says a medical procedure (ending in) the death of the baby. Which is not what happened.

So I'd say the HSE are quite likely hoist on their own petard there. But they are so brazen about rigging investigations that it's hard to be sure there won't be some carpet around to sweep it all under all the same.
    Not sure how this works. She was diagnosed as suicidal but not mentally impaired? That's admitting that being suicidal is an appropriate response to the "care" she received from the HSE!
    That seems to be about the height of it, doesn't it?

Again, a problem of their own making that's swung round and hit them square in the face, because she had to be mentally competent for her "consent" for the C-section to have any value. So they can't also claim that she was on hunger/thirst strike because the balance of her mind was disturbed (the usual justification for force feeding anorexics for example).

But then, anorexics don't actually want to die, they just don't believe they will. Whereas Miss Y did, or at least, had chosen death as preferable to remaining pregnant. Which IMO is a valid choice in the circumstances.

I don't see how they have a leg to stand on, to be perfectly frank.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement