Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Alive! Newspaper.

Options
  • 30-09-2014 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭

Every month with out fail, one gets forced through the letter box, regardless of the sign I have up to stop unsolicited spam like this.

Normally it is thrown in the recycle pile or on to the coal bucket but for the first time in months I decided to read it, for a laugh.
    To be honest I ended up getting rather angry, I am sure I will learn to laugh at bollocks like this like most other people do but I can't right now.
    I should laugh, but when I was younger my parents brought home copies of it, and I ended up reading as a confused gay early teen that I was "disgusting" and "bound for hell" and such rubbish which really did not help me till I got a lot older and could shake it off.

Their website - http://www.alive.ie/ - has some articles but not most of them.

From what I hear, the church says they try and distance themselves from this group who write it, but in that case, why does every church in my city appear to supply copies of this crap?
    Should they really not allow them to be distributed from their churches in that case?
    I know the getting it in the letter box as spam is different.

I know its a self published sort of paper and it is based on some peoples view points, but is this not ..... I don't know, illegal in some way?

Most people do laugh or ignore it, but is their not a way to get rid of it, or at least stop receiving it in the post?

I have attached some of the most recent gems of inside articles as the website does not give some of them.
    Really disgusting hatred filled paper so it is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

A dangerous paper for followers of a dangerous cult. Both need to be outlawed and the death penalty reinstated for animals like sean brady

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Theses conservative religious types will be obliterated soon enough OP. The country is slowly but surely moving on, resigning those proponents of the past to an appropriate fate for the actions they continue to admonish, actions which caused untold suffering for many tens of thousands, most of whom have gone without any form of justice.

The repeal of the 8th Amendment will come soon enough, Ruairi Quinn left - unfortunately - before beginning to secularise our schools, and the auld political codgers who maintained the status quo whatever the administration are dying out.

Moved from After Hours. This is more suited here OP.

Please read Atheism & Agnosticism charter before posting.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Mod:
    A dangerous paper for followers of a dangerous cult. Both need to be outlawed and the death penalty reinstated for animals like sean brady
    OK, your post's been moved from AH, so their rules apply.

Here in A+A, though, you'll want to up your style before you post here again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

If you have a "No Junk Mail" or similar sign on your letterbox then they are breaking the law putting it in. After I put one up I still got this disgusting rag a couple of times. I mailed them at the address on their website and told them in no uncertain terms that if I received another one in my letterbox I would file charges for trespass and report them to the DPC for ignoring my instructions. I know full well that the DPC has no powers in this area but McKevitt obviously didn't as I haven't got another one since.

As for some of their articles I do believe that some of them border on hate speech but it would require someone to make a complaint for anything to happen. tbh making such a complaint would give this dick a platform to defend his views and I wouldn't be bothered giving him any credence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

You actually need a sign stating "addressed mail only" as "junk mail" isn't considered junk by those delivering the mail. I put up one and it cut out 99% of the junk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

lazygal wrote: »
    You actually need a sign stating "addressed mail only" as "junk mail" isn't considered junk by those delivering the mail. I put up one and it cut out 99% of the junk.

How do you get your Dominos vouchers then?

How do you get your Dominos vouchers then?
    Domino's wouldn't be the first choice of many atheists:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Monaghan
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ave_Maria,_Florida

:)

robindch wrote: »

YOU CAN TAKE YOUR AD HOMINEMS ELSEWHERE, SIR!

Dominos is the most delicious of the pizzas.

Dominos is the most delicious of the pizzas.
    Dominos put -- I find the words hard to type -- pineapple on pizza dough:

http://www.dominos.ie/menu/

This is the work of the devil.

• Advertisement

robindch wrote: »
    Dominos put -- I find the words hard to type -- pineapple on pizza dough:

http://www.dominos.ie/menu/

This is the work of the devil.

That is just a corrupt few giving the rest a bad name. My father ate Dominos and his father before him. My son will eat Dominos and his son after him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

At least Pizza Hut doesn't have nutjob owner(s). :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I half expected the transgender article (does that even count as a full article in a paper? It's 3 short paragraphs) to be misrepresenting some scientific study or similar, and I was gonna come along as say "well, actually..." and give details on why the whole thing was wrong and, well, they couldn't even do that. Just blah blah blah, mutilation. Nothing to even counter here. I'm disappointed, Alive! really need to try harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Caught them one evening posting it through my letterbox asked them never to again and so far so good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭MsBubbles

Like previous posters Alive was put through my letterbox so I sent a very polite email asking them to refrain from posting their paper to my home. It was ignored.
    So one day I saw the man posting the papers and I stopped and said again politely I would like if I didn't receive your paper. He was so rude . He walked saying I would give the likes of you the steam off my pee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Alive! Newspaper.

Newspaper is a very kind term for what's essentially a propaganda pamphlet or brochure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

MsBubbles wrote: »
    Like previous posters Alive was put through my letterbox so I sent a very polite email asking them to refrain from posting their paper to my home. It was ignored.
    So one day I saw the man posting the papers and I stopped and said again politely I would like if I didn't receive your paper. He was so rude . He walked saying I would give the likes of you the steam off my pee.

I used to receive Alive through my letterbox until I had a nice chat with the old man who delivered it. We talked cordially about old cars and for some strange reason I never received another copy. Which is a shame, because I sincerely liked perusing the brochure for laughs.

On a side note, I feel let down by Jehovah's Witnesses. I was told that it was hard to get rid of them from the door. Au contraire. The old woman kept reversing away as I smiled whilst talking about the decline in religiosity amongst young people. I think she was trying to 'protect' the ears of the young girl who was accompanying her, door-to-door.

They probably wanted to find someone who was down, feeling low. They always try to get you while you're down. Praying on the weak. They're no better than those who force their way into the homes of the elderly.

Maybe I can look forward to a visit from some mormons. Won't that be fun. I can ask them about magic underpants, the conman Joseph Smith and how 'the book of mormon' is plagiarised from The Travels of Marco Polo, the voyage of Christopher Columbus to the New World as recorded by his son, histories of the Spanish conquest of Mexico, and travel journals.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Ever read the Irish Catholic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

lazygal wrote: »

Have you read the prison forum. All spammers think they are providing valuable information.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I read it, hoping that one of the anti-PC/heartless wanker brigade has ended up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,866 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

This is supposedly a christian publication - shouldn't discussion on it take place in the christianity forum?

(only half joking. And yes I do know what would happen...)

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Serious LOL at this silly comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Alive is a low-grade freesheet with an agenda. It's easy to ignore if you wish. I read it, avoiding the anti-EU, climate-skeptic stuff. There are plenty of much better catholic newspapers.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Alive is a low-grade freesheet with an agenda. It's easy to ignore if you wish. I read it, avoiding the anti-EU, climate-skeptic stuff. There are plenty of much better catholic newspapers.

Tabernacle Weekly?
    Priest's Own?
    "Genuflect!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

krudler wrote: »
    Tabernacle Weekly?
    Priest's Own?
    "Genuflect!"

Genuflect! Does have great photos tho:-

"At home with Dr Brady in his Palace as he settles into retirement"

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Tabernacle Weekly?
    Priest's Own?
    "Genuflect!"
    I hear the formerly popular Priest's Own has fallen on hard times, being eclipsed by competition from newer media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Tabernacle Weekly?
    Priest's Own?
    "Genuflect!"

'Moved On'
    'Trust Fund Monthly'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Nodin wrote: »
    'Moved On'
    'Trust Fund Monthly'
    'Readers Altar Boys'
    'What Thurible'
    'Jane's Crucifixes Quarterly'

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Tabernacle Weekly?
    Priest's Own?
    "Genuflect!"

There is, actually and genuinely, a religious magazine called "TRUTH!", I saw it in the reading room when I briefly worked for nuns. Had I balls I would have laughed them off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

legspin wrote: »
    'Readers Altar Boys'
    'What Thurible'
    'Jane's Crucifixes Quarterly'

"The Son"
    "Daily Myrrh"

Advertisement