Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A&A Feedback

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I don't think religious people are dim and actually the one's that frequent their respective forums on boards at least tend to be people who have made a personal effort to research their faith and I respect that. It's amazing to think you listed two posters form the "other side" but Jank is actually one of our own I believe, a non-believer with just opposite views on practically everything else. Now on the issue of one sidedness, this forum is more open to alternative views than any other under the religious section. The christian forum expects most topics bar 1 or 2 megathreads to be answered in a christian light and the islam forum is even more closed off to opposing opinion. That's not running them down, it's simply the style of forum they choose to be. Here for obvious reasons opposing points of view are not only welcome but needed as we don't exactly have interpretations of religious passages to debate amongst ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

As said, i really like most everyone on here. Robin included!

It's just a bit ferocious sometimes. I'm not making any judgement or climbing on a high horse. It just seems to me there is a bit of condescending anti-religion apparent. It's silly to deny it.

So sue me for observing that. I'm not saying it should be stamped out or changed or anything. Just saying that from the outside looking in, it comes across as biased sometimes. That's all. Sorry. No sweat like. I'm not interested in painting anyone into a corner about this.

Actually.. you're all evil monsters! The lot of you!:pac:

Yeah- I will accept that you have a point , but only up to a point. When the majority of posters here have similar views on religion it is only to be expected that there appears to be an occassional smug air about us. But that it being unfair to the forum for a number of reasons.

Firstly the number of religious people willing to post on here is very limited and that is their choice . I would love to have a free for all discussion on religion but as I said before most of them will only do so with home court advantage. Therefore in their absence the homogeneity of views is to be expected.

But I would say as a group this is about the only thing we agree on , we would have divergent views on every other subject , but that rarely shows here . For example I enjoy Nodin's pithy interventions , but when I disagree with her/him I find them simply infuriating . That just dos'nt happen on this forum but I would say we would disagree very much on economics politics israel and less so on civil liberties. But you won't see that here.

So if you want more of the cut and trust of debate get more of the religious folk to take a chance and take that ferry across the Styx and they will find it is really not that hot in here .

We are quite willing to take our chances in the other direction.

P.S the forum is great the moderation is great - don't change a thing. Just get more Christians for the Lions .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

If you're too wrapped up in backing each other up to not see the blatantly obvious theme on here by some posters that religious people are constantly denigrated by some as being substandard critical thinkers, then that's for you to think about.
    So am I right in thinking that either you reckon that religious people are not substandard critical thinkers, or if they substandard critical thinkers, then nobody should ever point it out?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I suddenly feel unsafe and demand everyone be banned except me

• Moderators Posts: 51,708 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

to try and make bluewolf feel safe I'm willing to be called a Potential Troll :P:pac:

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭The Bishop!

robindch wrote: »
    So am I right in thinking that either you reckon that religious people are not substandard critical thinkers, or if they substandard critical thinkers, then nobody should ever point it out?

I don't think that they are particularly bad critical thinkers in general just because they're religious no. It's up to them what they believe as regards faith; each to his own and all that.
    Am sure they're perfectly capable of day to day critical thinking just as much as any given atheist, and for that matter performing other complex cognitive tasks like debating etc.

And you should be free to point out anything you want when you want.

I don't think that they are particularly bad critical thinkers in general just because they're religious [...]
    And I don't think so either. I do, however, think that people who are poor critical thinkers have a tendency to be religious and that people who are good critical thinkers, tend not to be religious. This is widely supported by formal sociological research, as well as anecdotally from this forum and elsewhere.
    It's up to them what they believe as regards faith; each to his own and all that.
    People can believe what they want, but they shouldn't claim to be good critical thinkers, if they aren't, since that's dishonest; nor should they believe themselves good critical thinkers, if they're not, since that's delusional.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Just to try and calm things down a bit, I want to go back to The Bishop!'s suggestion that there aren't enough religious people coming to the forum to offer contrary views.

Firstly, all types of (non) believers are welcome, and frankly the place would be boring without them. Secondly, the nature of the discussions, once you really get into it, demands that people stick to some manner of discipline in what they posit. Otherwise we might as well be a yard full of yapping dogs for all the substance the conversation would have.

The problem, however, with putting certain rules on a discussion about religion, is that it doesn't suit religion.

I have a theory (born of experience) that any properly structured discussion about God will inevitably end with the religious person invoking some form of the *mysterious ways* argument. I think a lot of religious folks know this, and tend to not try their luck.

When it happens, it results in (a) an argument where people are sidestepping and avoiding points, or (b) someone invoking the mysterious ways argument. Fireworks and mirth ensue. :)

But hey, it's the journey and not the destination!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Believe me the evidence is there. ..

Why?
    Let's leave it at that instead of demanding apologies for character slurs and the like..

Jaysus forbid we do that....

Nodin wrote: »
    Why?

Jaysus forbid we do that....

Not interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Not interested.

Keeps posting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Any thoughts on correct usage of smilies? :confused: What is :pac: for (it has been suggested "Taking the mickey") and to my mind :( looks more tragically miserable than frowning. And I would like the option of two :p, but only if one indicates "flipping the bird" and the other is more "yah, boo, sucks". Am I in the wrong place with this burning question ?:eek: If so, :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

bluewolf wrote: »
    I suddenly feel unsafe and demand everyone be banned except me
    Obliq wrote: »
    Any thoughts on correct usage of smilies? :confused: What is :pac: for (it has been suggested "Taking the mickey") and to my mind :( looks more tragically miserable than frowning. And I would like the option of two :p, but only if one indicates "flipping the bird" and the other is more "yah, boo, sucks". Am I in the wrong place with this burning question ?:eek: If so, :o

smilies are also banned due to JC flashbacks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Surely J C made everyone feel safe? I mean, safe that they weren't the most clueless person on the planet..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Obliq wrote: »

We actually need the pop-corn eating smiley.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Nodin wrote: »
    We actually need the pop-corn eating smiley.

Here here!

I demand a popcorn smiley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

I want gc-wall.gif for dealing with trolls, creep.gif for tiptoeing around things. Don't expect to use that one much here, but it could come in handy for other forums :D. This one ht_bow.gif just because.

Anyway, on original topic. Not much to needs to be changed really. The whole point of having multiple forii is that each one cannot be all things to all men (and women <<).
    Some people are going to find posting here intimidating, others frustrating. That's just the way it is.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Some people are going to find posting here intimidating, others frustrating. That's just the way it is.

Only some - dammit. We simply must up our game.

Liking the smilies btw.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Here here!

There there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Here here!

tumblr_lxjm4n4umw1rn1xxfo1_400.gif

We'll have to make do with gifs for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

scary_popcorn.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I'd like this guy slaphead.gif, this guy popcorn.gif and this guy ouch.gif please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

I'd like this guy slaphead.gif, this guy popcorn.gif and this guy ouch.gif please.

You found one! I want one too. popcorn.gif
    There. I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

I'm having Hotmail flashbacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

.gifs >>>>>> smilies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

But gifs make me feel so stupid :(
    I watch them like 3 times in a row, just to make sure I know which bit is the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

gvn wrote: »
    Feedback. Hmmm ...

Don't change anything. A&A is probably one of the best (if not the best) run forums on the site. It has the perfect mix: extremely light-hearted at times, with great use of wit, sarcasm and humour by its members; great debate and argument at other times, matching any forum on the site for its quality of discussion. It's not too dry, nor too light-hearted; discussion standards aren't rigid to the point of suffocating discussion, nor is discussion allowed to descend to drivel. A great mix, and one which I'm sure most (if not all) of the regulars appreciate.

Agreed.

So much so that I would actually prefer to post something here when looking for intellectual feedback as opposed to posting somewhere else. Perhaps we should change the forum name to Atheism, Agnosticism & Intellectualism. :P

To give an example, I was contemplating creating a thread on here regarding Matthew Woods' imprisonment. I'm aware there is a thread on After Hours (that place is just vile), and Humanities, however I feel the real intellects on boards.ie hang out here.

Ooh la-de-da.:D

Wish i hadn't read that with a mouthful of coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

[-0-] wrote: »
    Agreed.

So much so that I would actually prefer to post something here when looking for intellectual feedback as opposed to posting somewhere else. Perhaps we should change the forum name to Atheism, Agnosticism & Intellectualism. :P

To give an example, I was contemplating creating a thread on here regarding Matthew Woods' imprisonment. I'm aware there is a thread on After Hours (that place is just vile), and Humanities, however I feel the real intellects on boards.ie hang out here.

Well like, duh.

• Advertisement

Wish i hadn't read that with a mouthful of coffee.
    Bish -- no need to feel inadequate -- A+A welcomes people of all levels of smartipantness.

Advertisement