Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Does this make sense?

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Bumski wrote: »
    Would you object if your kid had a half an hour of information/formation on Islam instead of Christianity? (Or instead of whatever number of hours per day/week they currently receive on Christianity/RC)

No problem whatsoever. In fact I think the cove all he main religionin secondary school.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Atheist Ireland? Not sure any more. Although still a member I am now no longer supporting any role where I have access to that information (I used to be the membership officer AND The webmaster so I could have told you then). Its three figures anyway unless some major changes have happened. And we are a part of the Atheist Alliance International Group which has many many more. The conferences I helped organize and run in Ireland and Germany were both very well attended.

Thnks for te reply Nozz. I am rushing ut to the pub to watch tjhe match, but I have a few more quesion when get a chance.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Shrap wrote: »
    I go to church as rarely as possible.
    Likewise, but in my capacity as an amateur pipe organist, I do inevitably end up going to the odd service. FWIW, the RCC's musical standards are crap in comparison with the traditional protestant standards. There's probably quite an interesting conversation as to why this might be, but a lot of it seems to come down to the way in which the church projects itself and how it implicitly tolerates, if not encourages, petty fiefdoms to arise - these based upon political expediency and connections rather than the more normal attributes of interest, ability, talent or musicality.

As I posted somewhere recently, the church - viewed as surrealist performance art - can be a fascinating and weird thing to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

robindch wrote: »
    FWIW, the RCC's musical standards are crap in comparison with the traditional protestant standards. There's probably quite an interesting conversation as to why this might be
    My Ma said something about the RCC having changed the hymn tunes to some awful modern dirgey nonsense when they stopped doing Latin masses, but I have no idea what she was talking about. Might be something in that though - maybe someone else knows why the RCC hymns are so desperately boring?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Shrap wrote: »
    why the RCC hymns are so desperately boring?
    Blame the Irish.
    Seriously though, I don't think singing by the congregation was ever really encouraged during the traditional Latin rite mass. If there was a psalm to be sung, there was a choir put there for that purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

recedite wrote: »
    Blame the Irish.
    /QUOTE]

Ha, that's really quite funny :) I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Thnks for te reply Nozz. I am rushing ut to the pub to watch tjhe match, but I have a few more quesion when get a chance.

Anytime, but as I say I am now a more passive member of AI and AAI and not as involved or as informed as I once was. If you have more questions on THAT subject you could go to the AI AGM, or contact their committee through the website. Micheal Nugent also posts on this forum so you could probably send him a PM.

Any questions you have about ME or my positions as expressed on here though, my time is yours.

Advertisement