Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New city centre pubs

• 25-07-2015 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

What are the latest pubs to open in Cork city?

Always like to try a new place but can never remember what's new when it comes to it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭rmchmufc

Brick Lane where the Classic used to be opened a few weeks ago, Haven't being in it myself though so I have no idea what it is like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

The friary on north gate bridge is newish, great spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭ROY RACE

That brick lane place is crap and expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭ofcork

Paddy the farmers is reopening soon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

ROY RACE wrote: »
    That brick lane place is crap and expensive.

Popped in yesterday for a drink but the place stinks of food. Nice if you're planning on eating there alright but I wouldn't be going there otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Bacchus wrote: »
    Popped in yesterday for a drink but the place stinks of food. Nice if you're planning on eating there alright but I wouldn't be going there otherwise.
    In its defence, it's not advertised solely as a pub, food, particularly brunch is what it's market is, changing to a pub after 9pm - I'd imagine I won't pop there until I'm looking to grab some munch myself

D'Agger wrote: »
    In its defence, it's not advertised solely as a pub, food, particularly brunch is what it's market is, changing to a pub after 9pm - I'd imagine I won't pop there until I'm looking to grab some munch myself

Oh yeah of course. As I said, it looks fine if you're planning on eating there but it was mentioned in a (this) thread looking for pub recommendations and it's really more of a food bar than a pub. Even if it switches to a pub at 9pm, you're still going to come out of it smelling like chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

paddy the farmers opened yesterday.............monday. will pop in this evening after work

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

Washington Street bar is due to open shortly as well.
    James Street 1767, then The Bailey is closing for two months for renovations.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/new-washington-street-bar-to-create-11-jobs/

Prices are still a big issue for bars,in electric a few weeks ago and 5.20 for a bottle of coors light at 9.30 in the night!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

ofcork wrote: »
    Prices are still a big issue for bars,in electric a few weeks ago and 5.20 for a bottle of coors light at 9.30 in the night!

Yup. Close to 7 quid for a Moretti in that hole Crane Lane. Another one of Benny's moneymakers.

Then you have ernest and benny telling people to come into the city!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

kooga wrote: »
    paddy the farmers opened yesterday.............monday. will pop in this evening after work

called in on the way home for work and was met by a hostess who asked me was it my first time in (only opened yesterday) said it was but I remember the old pub. anyway called a beamish.............when it arrived I was told it was on the house, which was very decent of the bar man.

Anyway the pint was excellent, but I couldn't stay. I asked the barman how much is a pint of beamish €4.................so everything is else is upwards. I hope it does well as they did a great job

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

called in on the way home for work and was met by a hostess who asked me was it my first time in (only opened yesterday) said it was but I remember the old pub. anyway called a beamish.............when it arrived I was told it was on the house, which was very decent of the bar man.

Anyway the pint was excellent, but I couldn't stay. I asked the barman how much is a pint of beamish €4.................so everything is else is upwards. I hope it does well as they did a great job

Good stuff, I passed there this morning and was thinking that it would be open soon, didn't quite look finished though judging from the sparks who were working outside...

Used to pop in for lunch so must try it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Them taps are far too shiny for a place called Paddy the Farmers. Someone needs to redecorate the place with the help of a 25L drum of liquid tarnish and a sledge

• Registered Users Posts: 15,713 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

kcb wrote: »
    Yup. Close to 7 quid for a Moretti in that hole Crane Lane. Another one of Benny's moneymakers.

Price of drink in there is a joke, usually only drop in there for the last hour for no more than 1 pint. Gets fairly crowded and unpleasant to navigate through.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,098 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Place called Teds opening soon. Assume it's a pub based on the kegs I saw outside it last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,737 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Mushy wrote: »
    Place called Teds opening soon. Assume it's a pub based on the kegs I saw outside it last week.

Give us a clue as to where it is?

Give us a clue as to where it is?

Sorry, Douglas Street, where the short-lived Asian food place was.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

Sorry, Douglas Street, where the short-lived Asian food place was.

Pho, Is that gone already?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,737 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yup.
    I liked the idea of the place but found the food pretty bland when I tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Them taps are far too shiny for a place called Paddy the Farmers. Someone needs to redecorate the place with the help of a 25L drum of liquid tarnish and a sledge

Went there for food today at lunch. 8.95 for a sandwich and chips, bread was the regular sliced pan bread you'd get from a supermarket and the chips were frozen chips. Expected more for the price.

Wouldn't be going back in a hurry for food but will visit again for a pint.

Place barely lasted a sunny Irish day, been gone since may I think it was. The owners didn't give it much of a chance but at least it won't be empty again.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

Place barely lasted a sunny Irish day, been gone since may I think it was. The owners didn't give it much of a chance but at least it won't be empty again.

Seems to have been the case although I would wonder was there more to the closure ? I was in there on good Friday and there was no seats available and they just did some work to the place. New wall or something...

I do agree, not much to the dish but the waitress said the menu was going to change

Seems to have been the case although I would wonder was there more to the closure ? I was in there on good Friday and there was no seats available and they just did some work to the place. New wall or something..

It seemed busy enough at weekends alright, with the odd few people in there midweek. Certainly something strange about the closure.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

kcb wrote: »

7 quid for a Moretti, I wouldn't pay that if Monica Bellucci herself was feeding me the pint.
    I'd consider 5quid for a Peroni steep and that's a far better beer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Seems to have been the case although I would wonder was there more to the closure ? I was in there on good Friday and there was no seats available and they just did some work to the place. New wall or something...

I do agree, not much to the dish but the waitress said the menu was going to change

Last I'd heard of the place it was closed after it had been broken into and robbed,I'm not sure if it reopened afterwards.

It seemed busy enough at weekends alright, with the odd few people in there midweek. Certainly something strange about the closure.

I walk by their a lot in the evenings (it's on my route to town) and it looked completely dead inside about 80% of the time. It just never took off as far as I could tell and it wasn't in a great spot to pick up casual passers by.
    darkdubh wrote: »
    Last I'd heard of the place it was closed after it had been broken into and robbed,I'm not sure if it reopened afterwards.

I hadn't heard that happened. Really sucks if it did. Scumbags with nothing better to do than drag people trying to make a go of it down to the gutters with them.

Advertisement