Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help with Java

• 24-03-2014 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Im doing Java in university and I feel I am behind. Does anyone kn ow of any good websites that could help me catch up?
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

• Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Is it Java itself of OO ideas/principals that you dont get?

understanding OO design is better than understanding Java, java is just a syntax once you understand what you are trying to design.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Saint Ruth

The Head First Java book is good (i.e. it's 'simple' which is what one wants when learning something new).

The Java tutorials
    http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/
    (the "Getting Started")
    are pretty good too

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭shanemib

What do you mean?

I assume thats a question to me?

Java is a language. You can write arguably crappy java that is not Object Oriented.
    You should be learning how to program using objects, thinking in objects and how they interact (interfaces) and then writing that plan/thought in java.

The important thing about programming in OO is the design, the language, especially as a beginner, is irrelevant.

So my question is, do you know what you are trying to do and just cant get it to compile in Java; i.e. is your problem java specific or are you just not understanding Objects and all that stuff? (Which is a mental shift for most people, but when it clicks you will "get it" so dont worry)

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    I assume thats a question to me?

Java is a language. You can write arguably crappy java that is not Object Oriented.
    You should be learning how to program using objects, thinking in objects and how they interact (interfaces) and then writing that plan/thought in java.

The important thing about programming in OO is the design, the language, especially as a beginner, is irrelevant.

So my question is, do you know what you are trying to do and just cant get it to compile in Java; i.e. is your problem java specific or are you just not understanding Objects and all that stuff? (Which is a mental shift for most people, but when it clicks you will "get it" so dont worry)

Yes it was sorry :)
    It must be the OO because i've been doing Java for months and it still hasn't "clicked"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

shanemib wrote: »
    Yes it was sorry :)
    It must be the OO because i've been doing Java for months and it still hasn't "clicked"

I've been doing Java for four years and it still hasn't clicked! I'm about to graduate from a computer science degree in just under 2 months and i've never made sense of Java! Horrid stuff altogether!

So then I'd try to forget about java and read up on object oriented programming,
    You can design things in pseudo code/English and forget about getting it to compile etc

I have no intention of learning Java at this stage! Once i finish this course i will never think of it or OOP in general again! I have no intention of being a programmer, it was the wrong course for me in the end but i was sold the course believing there would be a lot of web design and multimedia involved too! Multimedia this year turned out to be Android app development ffs! More poxy java haha!

I've been doing Java for four years and it still hasn't clicked! I'm about to graduate from a computer science degree in just under 2 months and i've never made sense of Java! Horrid stuff altogether!

How did you get by without knowing it ?

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    So then I'd try to forget about java and read up on object oriented programming,
    You can design things in pseudo code/English and forget about getting it to compile etc

Ill look more into that so!

Saint Ruth wrote: »
    The Head First Java book is good (i.e. it's 'simple' which is what one wants when learning something new).

The Java tutorials
    http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/
    (the "Getting Started")
    are pretty good too

I have gotten that book from the library thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

How did you get by without knowing it ?

To be honest i'm not sure! Ive always done really well in CAs etc and have got a first in programming most years but i have had a lot of help from friends who are gifted programmers and help from the teaching faculty! I'm paying for all the help this year though, network programming in Java has been the bane of my life! Java Corba and RMI 2 technologies that are so old they are hardly used according to a number of professors i've talked to about it but i literally havent a notion what is going on! Might as well be learning Chinese! Luckily the modules are 70% CA so you can get a first before ever sitting an exam! Its a joke in reality because there will be a ton of under-qualified developers leaving my course but i'm not complaining, i just want my piece of paper and ill stick to the design industry! :)

+1 for those saying to get the head first Java book though, i actually bought it the summer of first year but after about chapter 3 i lost all interest! Pure laziness but meh! I much prefer the web technologies i can work with! Scripting languages like JavaScript and jQuery are a lot easier to work with! I'm a lost cause for OOP! although i do have a little PHP which i hope to develop but only to build Wordpress sites!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Zentoad

Im doing Java in university and I feel I am behind. Does anyone kn ow of any good websites that could help me catch up?
    Thanks in advance

www.caveofprogramming.com

lots of free stuff as well...

Advertisement