Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Part time work & general job chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭diograis

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Jesus. How many positions were been given out ?

scary. says a lot about the job market

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

diograis wrote: »
    scary. says a lot about the job market
    I went for a interview for the new CEX shop in Douglas, after the interview the guy told me they were interviewing over 90 people that day for only 5/6 positions :eek:

Luckily I got called back for second interview, fingers crossed.....

• Registered Users Posts: 23 thatperson

I went to the Dealz interviews and it seemed to go well but I never heard anything back. Has anyone heard anything from them or should I just assume I didn't get it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

When was it? Anything over a week, I generally assume I haven't got the role. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23 thatperson

It was the 27th of May, they said you'd here in a week but most places who say that usually take longer, so I'm still hoping. I can't seem to get anywhere with any other places

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Friend of mine was working full time for 13 months in a shop (spar/centra kinda one) and had too leave for family reasons even with that expierence in the last 6 weeks hes applied for everything and anything online and only got 1 call back for an interview and he didn't even get that job! And people will try too tell ya things are picking up ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

They're not. This government is doing the mushroom syndrome again...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Anyone heard of Renaissance Security

• Advertisement

I am really beginning to wonder what is wrong with work in Cork.. I went down to the local special needs place the lavanagh centre in April and had a meeting with the head mis. Said I would like to volunteer and that goes, I would do anything. She was really positive even saying that paid work might come up in the future and they really needed the help.. Done the garda vetting and all that goes.. Heard nothing and soon after that I see an advert up looking for people to work (for money) as bus stewards as such, no previous experience required. Still haven't heard back from them!! very annoyed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

@Milly33, you're finding the same thing that I am- there is some work out there and even though it's far from prestigious (or even rewarding) it appears to be impossible to put yourself in the way of it. I've been to one interview in recent months and didn't get the job. It's very hard to learn from these experiences.

thanks cantdecide, yeah tis just so frustrating.. A friend was telling me that by rights a company should tell you why your application was not successful so I tried email one the Cork Internation hotel loads of times, I rang and no one got back to me. So I emailed again when I saw the same job advertised and the reply was all in broken English and not even a reply to my questions.. Kills me, then recently in work I have been picking up the slack now for a long time and finally broke to the boss that its getting a bit much and they fecking know the other one is no capable (his words) of doing the work and shes still there.. that's another kick in the teeth

• Registered Users Posts: 14 teacakes

In July now, and still haven't been able to get a single job offer besides door-to-door sales since my exams ended. I can't even count how many CVs I've sent out in the last two months. It's incredibly disheartening. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

teacakes wrote: »
    In July now, and still haven't been able to get a single job offer besides door-to-door sales since my exams ended. I can't even count how many CVs I've sent out in the last two months. It's incredibly disheartening. :(

I am the same, no job offers except Kleeneze

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Sam Mac wrote: »
    I am the same, no job offers except Kleeneze

Another here, 4 interviews but nothing.

again think tis all who you know... Im starting up the old Oriflame, doubt theres much way of making money out of it but tis something to fill the time.. I found even a lot of the jobs 96fm have on their jobs page never get back to you either whats the sca with that very rude

• Registered Users Posts: 84,995 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Milly33 wrote: »
    Does anyone here work for the Cork Airport Hotel? I cant understand them at all, I have seen a few jobs advertised on Jobs.ie and have applied severeal times, and sent in a general c.v.. Rang to follow up, and was told nothing. Emailed two different email addresses for some feedback and still nothing. Think it is very rude of them and then yesterday I see the two jobs up again

amansworth@corkairporthotel.com

ihomich@corkairporthotel.com

I think these are the email addresses for the hotel's HR Managers

I emailed the ihomich one and got a very bad reply back with broken English saying sorry you job application was not successful which was not what I had asked her at all.!!

I am actually so mad at the moment between this, time wasters like the cork international, the flying enterprise and other places advertising for jobs.. I got a response back today after nearly three months waiting from the school of the divine child or the lavanagh centre in Ballintemple with some fob off excuse of why I heard nothing back from them, after going to meet the principal about working for free!! It really makes me wonder - I went in meet the lady, filled out all the forms, dropped them back on time and two weeks after I see a poster in the local shop looking for PAID bus assistants there!!! I used to be loyal but feck em!!

Its a joke,

I emailed the ihomich one and got a very bad reply back with broken English saying sorry you job application was not successful which was not what I had asked her at all.!!

I am actually so mad at the moment between this, time wasters like the cork international, the flying enterprise and other places advertising for jobs.. I got a response back today after nearly three months waiting from the school of the divine child or the lavanagh centre in Ballintemple with some fob off excuse of why I heard nothing back from them, after going to meet the principal about working for free!! It really makes me wonder - I went in meet the lady, filled out all the forms, dropped them back on time and two weeks after I see a poster in the local shop looking for PAID bus assistants there!!! I used to be loyal but feck em!!

Its a joke,

I have had the same happen to me on numerous occasions. Very frustrating!

• Advertisement

I was going through emails there and found one reply back from the flying enterprise just a courtesy email as such, but spotted they were advertising again on Jobs.. I really don't know why any young or single person stays in Ireland any of ye if ye can do just bugger off

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

So where are the nice places to work in Cork and how do you get noticed? I mean aside from any hiring campaign they may be on and the ordeal of having to deal with agencies and all that? Surely there are medium to large companies that treat their staff well enough and hire from time to time without all the Wizard of Oz/ contract uncertainty stuff to go through?? As my job hunt is becoming more long term, I'm thinking there are companies I should consider dropping a fresh CV into every so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DAZP93

Drop your cv's to Abtran or recruitment@abtran.com

Oh thank you I shall do..

Honestly I don't of any good place to work for or anyone known as such to be good for hiring.. Again the Flying Enterprise I heard your man chatting on the radio saying oh he gives everyone a chance and that he believes in suppose local jobs blah blah, applied twice and heard nout back from them and they are advertising again

sorry now for the dim-nis what do Abtran do

Oh thank you I shall do..

Honestly I don't of any good place to work for or anyone known as such to be good for hiring.. Again the Flying Enterprise I heard your man chatting on the radio saying oh he gives everyone a chance and that he believes in suppose local jobs blah blah, applied twice and heard nout back from them and they are advertising again

what age bracket are you in Milly, if you don't mind me asking?

sorry now for the dim-nis what do Abtran do

Outsourcing and social networking customer care.

Interesting sure ill give it a go any extra income is good. I would be mmmm 31 yeah or 32 that age bracket haha

• Registered Users Posts: 14 teacakes

I actually applied to Abtran very recently. They gave me a call about an hour after I sent my CV in; very efficient of them. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on who's reading this!) they're looking for people who are able to work full time, which I wouldn't have been able to do as I've college kicking off again in September.

• Advertisement

Yep, used to work full time in Ireland till the place went into closure. I went abroad for a year or two and worked full time there. Then started where I am covering maternity and then down to three day week and have been searching for around 3 years id say for full time work...

sure I did lots of things worked in toyshops loved it, bar work, shop work, worked then in an architects office doing admin managing that side of it, now in sales and admin.. would love something more active or something where your not behind a desk but sure would do anything (well not anything) but funds are low

Advertisement