Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Polish Language Classes In Dublin?

• 24-09-2010 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I would like to learn to speak Polish and was wondering if anybody knows of any good Polish classes in Dublin?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Trinity College have excellent evening courses in Polish.
    http://www.tcd.ie/courses/extramural/az/index.php?letter=p

The fees may be pricey, perhaps, but there is a really high standard of teaching and teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

I second the TCD option. I've done the beginners and lower intermediate courses, and will hopefully start intermediate in October.

I saw some language place on Camden Street in Dublin advertise cheap beginners Polish lessons.

TCD is not expensive compared to other language courses I have done in the past...Alliance Francais...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Seven hundred quid!?

Wow....think that might be a little bit out of my price bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

You should look at the private one on one option. They usually work out about €30-50 per hour depending on the teacher. More intensive and better value for money. Worked for me.

Where did you do them?

Right now I'm looking at Languagewise on Fitzwilliam street.
    Has anybody used them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

I have the added advantage of my wife being a teacher. On going and for free but I would still recommend it.

Does your wife teach anyone other than you?
    How would one get in touch with her?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

I use "Marino College" where you get 10 weeks of 1 & half hours classes for €80. We are into it now but They start again in new year some time.

:) It is better then Languagewise which I have done for 10 weeks.

http://www.marinocollege.ie/evening_courses/evening_tuesday.htm

I hope it is of some help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Under A Funeral Moon

Try Sandford Language Institute. The current term has started this week.

Here's a link: http://www.sandfordlanguages.ie/courses/Evening/Polish

gar32 wrote: »
    I use "Marino College" where you get 10 weeks of 1 & half hours classes for €80. We are into it now but They start again in new year some time.

:) It is better then Languagewise which I have done for 10 weeks.

http://www.marinocollege.ie/evening_courses/evening_tuesday.htm

I hope it is of some help.

****, I would have really liked that...it's cheaper and so much closer to where I live, but alas, I've already signed up to languagewise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Don't waste money on courses. Buy a basic grammar book, and try find a conversational group. You cannot learn a language without immersing yourself in it. This is the biggest problem that the majority of language courses fail to address.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

That's why I like the Trinity classes. The teacher rarely speaks English, even for instructions, plus the course has as a target a recognised qualification, the B1 exam.

Horses for courses, I suppose.

What does horses for courses mean?

Horses for courses - Some styles of teaching suit one student, other styles suit another.

For some people, buying a book and joining a group will get them to the standard they want, others like a more formal classroom setting.

It's always a help if someone has a Polish boyfriend/girlfriend on hand for continuous correction, regardless of what type of classes they follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭trevorku

my wife is polish too, we just married one month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

Congrats! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ewelina_8

Hi All,
    I am a native Polish speaker and qualified University Polish Language teacher. I have been teaching for 3 years at UCD. All levels, exam preparation, conversations. Drop me an email if you are interested in grinds.
    Ewelina

• Registered Users Posts: 18 NiaDublin

Hi All,
    Some time has passed since this thread was open but I checked the three schools you suggested, and wrote to them. Two out of three replied, which is Marino and Languagewise. Are you still attending classes in those schools?
    Can you give more information about the teacher, the programme, the type of method used and how many people are in the class on a average?

Are you subscribing next term?

Thanks,

Annamaria

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

I would advise on picking up a language program out of the library and learning to "speak" like that. Courses are a total waste imo. Pilmsleur one really broke down pronunciation and everything for me, very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 katarzyna

Hi Everyone,

You can also join Polish classes at Working English Language School in Dublin City Centrehttp://workingenglish.ie or contact Kasia on 086 8258 703.

Best of Luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Szarik102

Polish is a challenge. It is about the same difficulty as Irish to learn from scratch.
    This might help to get you started.

There is a free to download first year university Polish language course here on the University of Pittsburg website:
    http://polish.slavic.pitt.edu/polish/
    It includes a large grammar book!

Their dictionary resource is also very good:
    http://polish.slavic.pitt.edu/polish/
    Here is another good dictionary:
    http://portalwiedzy.onet.pl/tlumacz.html?qs=tradition&tr=ang-auto

Google translate, though rather inaccurate can be a useful tool in checking sentence constructions.

Also, if you can find one, an old Linguaphone Polish course (1984era) is an excellent resource, though the lessons may be a bit quaint. I would suggest checking periodically on bay for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 reverselogic

I have the following book and have found it to be quite good "Cześć, jak się masz" [I got mine from Amazon]. It has plenty of illustrations and reminds me of the French / German books from school :)

I have the following book and have found it to be quite good "Cześć, jak się masz" [I got mine from Amazon]. It has plenty of illustrations and reminds me of the French / German books from school :)

That's the one we used as a basis for the first year in Trinity.
    The teacher also used her own resources and bits and pieces from a book called 'Hurra!'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 patru

Working English language school in Liffey Str does Polish as well

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MagliaRosa

As others said more expensive than other schools but the quality for money is excellent. Courses start next week so it is best to register as soon as you can.
    http://www.tcd.ie/Russian/evening-courses/

Hello, yes I also thought that the quality at Trinity college was mostalikely to be beter than in prvate schools and subscribed last Friday. Are you attending too? I'll be in the beginners class.

I did four years of the Trinity evening classes and enjoyed every minute of it.
    Once you get to a reasonable standard, I highly recommend that you take the opportunity (if you can) to go on one of the Polish Government sponsored free summer school places, in Lublin, Warsaw or (sometimes) Krakow.

I'm still good friends with a number of our class.

Sounds great, but I don't I'll be able to leave the work to go to a Summer School. Anyway I'll manage to practice, I'm sure ;)
    Thanks for your feedback! I hope I'll enjoy and make friends there too!

They also have a monthly Russian/Polish pub evening where you get to chat with more experienced students and extremely patient Polish people.

• Advertisement

Sounds great, maybe I'll even get a chance to practice my Russian, eheh ;)

Advertisement