Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Latest cosmetic purchases and reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Anyone else think the new nude Kate Moss lipsticks are a bit too nude? They look like bloody concealer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

anna080 wrote: »
    Anyone else think the new nude Kate Moss lipsticks are a bit too nude? They look like bloody concealer!

That's actually what I thought they were!

Took a wander in superdrug today and got a makeup revolution highlighter - I might see if I use it before shelling out on the Becca one! And they have a sleek stand now, yay - got a lip liner to match the coral lipstick I got yesterday. I have to stop now :p

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Ccheidi

Anyone ever use the sanitas electric face brush that is for sale in lidl tomorrow?
    I have sensitive skin and was wondering would this face brush be to harsh?!
    Thanks in advance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

Got the No.7 Brush Cleanser. I've wanted a Clarisonic but opted for this because of the price (33e). Used it there and thought it was good and my face feels great. Having just read some reviews and some youtube videos it's gotten some very bad reviews. Personally I think it's fine and I'll probably use it once a fortnight.

10152733?id=gywai1&fmt=jpg&fit=constrain,1&wid=504&hei=548

• Registered Users Posts: 85,011 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I picked up at my local Super Valu today Garnier Moisture + Restore Night Care Recovery Gel for only 2.99 euros for 50ml, worth trying it for that price, anyone try?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭rougegal

Bought one of the LancÃ႒´me Sourcils gel eyebrow pot last week. I've used it every day and I find it great. Really easy to apply with a small firm bristled brush (you don't need to buy the brush they try to sell with it) and lasts all day & into the night. A tiny bit goes a long way so I'd imagine the pot will last me at least 12 months going on what I've barely used of it so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭SueBoom

I got the most perfect nail polish in Urban Outfitters yesterday. I'd normally only spend like €2 on nail polish but I actually spent €8 on this one because I just had to have it. This picture doesn't do it justice but it's a dark mustard colour and that might divide people but I'm SO in love with it. :D

41678243.jpg?preset=preview,default

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I picked up at my local Super Valu today Garnier Moisture + Restore Night Care Recovery Gel for only 2.99 euros for 50ml, worth trying it for that price, anyone try?

Got it a few months back. I really like the Garnier moisturisers (especially the one in the pink tube) so was looking forward to trying this one. Unfortunately, I found the scent far too overpowering/sickening to use on my face so have been using it as a neck cream. It's alright. I like the texture and it moisturises my pretty well (my skin there is quite dry). I really wish they would change the scent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Bought the new No7 mascara in Boots last week (the hour between work ending and my bus home is not good for my purse.) Really impressed with it! Not waterproof but it doesn't smudge even when my eyes water.

For anyone in Kilkenny, MacEneaney's on High St have a Sleek stand. I got so overwhelmed by it I couldn't pick something to buy.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭XDivaX

Mod, delete this if inappropriate- did anyone buy electrical face cleaner in Lidl today??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I bought Umerto Giannini backcomb in a bottle on a recommendation last week and I'm not very impressed so far. My hair is quite fine so I was hoping this would give me a bit of volume but so far, so flat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Went on a bit of a makeup binge right before holidays.
    What I bought
    - Mac Strobe cream
    - Mac Studio Fix NW10
    - Mac Don't Stop Purple shimmer shadow
    - Inglot shimmer dust
    - Inglot 429 Matt red lipstick
    - 2 Inglot shadows. 1 yellow yellow one and one rusty coloured one.

Reviews.
    Strobe cream
    Honest to god, I don't really see the big hype about this product. Maybe it's because I prefer my skin to be quite matt with foundation on, or maybe my natural skin has that dewy effect, but I'm really underwhelmed with this applied underneath my foundation. I haven't used it to highlight yet, so maybe it'll be a little better but as an all over base underneath the foundation its meh. Still, at 10 euro for a travel size, it wasn't too expensive.
    This is it under foundation.

2uo5pn5.jpg
    Inglot lipstick.
    I like this, it's not too unlike macs ruby woo, (rw is a bit deeper) and it doesn't have the same staying power, but it smells like cherries, is quite creamy to apply (even though it's matt) and was only 14 euro.
    I used it with macs Ruby woo lipliner.

33dkpoj.jpg

Inglot eyeshadows.
    I LOVE these!! Really pigmented, easy to blend. Such a bargain for 6 euro each. I love them. The colours were a bit mad, (canary yellow!) and not something I would usually go for but I think they actually look beautiful together. Can't go wrong with Inglot shadows, in fairness.
    1z3xr3d.jpg

Inglot shimmer dust.
    LOVE IT
    It's so far my favourite highlighter, beating lustre drops from Mac (just as well because it's been discontinued) and highbeam. It's easy to apply and looks amazing.

24gvioi.jpg
    Only 20 euro for a really large pot of it. I'm expecting it to last forever!

I'll review the rest of the products when I use them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I never got the hype about the strobe stuff either. I remember a MUA putting it on me years ago and waxing lyrical about it, but I couldn't see the big deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭SueBoom

I feel like that about highlight products in general. I just don't get it. They either don't do anything at all or look too shiny/sparkly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

I bought strobe cream a few years ago and wouldn't re-purchase. I find it's one of those items that isn't really needed. I actually don't think I even finished it before throwing it out.

Was surprised to see so many bloggers raving about it lately as well.

Maybe it's a push from MAC to try get it selling again?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

i wonder where i can learn to apply make up well?

I wouldn't be bad, but a few tricks can be learnt I'm sure,

anybody know of any worthy day workshops etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

shakencat wrote: »

It's not what you asked about but I find watching youtube tutorials so good (and free) for learning about makeup and how to apply it. I'd consider myself to be handy enough at doing my makeup and it's mostly thanks to watching youtube and just practice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

It's not what you asked about but I find watching youtube tutorials so good (and free) for learning about makeup and how to apply it. I'd consider myself to be handy enough at doing my makeup and it's mostly thanks to watching youtube and just practice!

contouring is what i wonder bout...

and what to buy etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭Alice1

contouring is what i wonder bout...

and what to buy etc..
    You tube is great and free and you can rewind - and there are tutorials about contouring. If you want to get a lesson, try Make up Forever. My daughter did a one day course there (in Clarendon Street) and thought it was super.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Those voucher websites offer deals often on make up classes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭Alice1

eternal wrote: »
    Those voucher websites offer deals often on make up classes.
    Oh yes, meant to say, I got a voucher thingy from Grabone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Inglot do make up lessons/classes too. I haven't done any of the classes, but the lessons are great. You can get a 1 hour lesson for €30. It's been a good few years since I had one so I can't remember if that is redeemable against products unfortunately.

I find YouTube videos are only useful for learning skills if you watch someone who is actually talented at make up application and can explain what they're doing (which rules out a lot of beauty gurus). Lisa Eldridge's tutorials are really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Was given Naked Flushed as one of my stocking fillers at Christmas and finally got around to using it the past few weeks. Not impressed, I have to say. The powder is too finely milled, imo, so the brush picks up way too much and there's a lot of wastage. Tipping the excess back into the palette doesn't really work as it's so fine, it just kind of blows away. I've hit pan on the bronzer already.

Definitely wouldn't buy it for myself.

Master_nakedflushed.jpg?sw=1000&sh=1000&sm=fit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Cloud10 are doing 15% off this weekend until midnight Monday. Use code BANKHOLIDAY15

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Bought the new No.7 Dramatic Lift mascara yesterday for €13.50 (introductory offer). It's only alright...nothing spectacular and you'd get a Rimmel one that does the same for much cheaper. It's going to be €17.50 after next week and definitely not worth that. It gives decent length but very little volume.

Underwhelming to be honest but good enough for a daytime mascara. 6/10 as it's nothing special and I wouldn't pay €17.50 for it :pac:

2i74p6b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Banaba

Im looking for a powder highlighter can anyone recommend one? I tried MAC soft and Gentle yesterday and fell in love but it is a bit pricey

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Banaba wrote: »
    Im looking for a powder highlighter can anyone recommend one? I tried MAC soft and Gentle yesterday and fell in love but it is a bit pricey

The highlighter in the Sleek contouring kit is really good. They're only about €4.50 so it doesn't matter if you never use the shading part. They might even do the highlighter on its own, I don't actually know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

I am in love with loreal infallible nail polish! Its amazing. I bought three more last week - got them for €10 between boots points and offers. Ive had the darker shade on for over a week and it hasn't budged and I spend a lot of time out doors and working with my hands.

Also repurchased neostrata bionic eye cream plus. A friend recommended it and I have found it amazing. Its €50 approx. but the tube lasts for months - bought last one in Feb!

Picked up a new dior overcurl iconic in the airport last week its a fantastic mascara, my favourite by far.

I am loving NYX matt make up setting spray and have converted several friends to it - brilliant stuff and bargain price.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭sinead88

I've just ordered the Mac 9 x Burgundy palette online. I haven't bought Mac eyeshadow in years but these looks nice. It was between that and the Amber palette, but as I have the Urban Decay Naked 2 palette, I thought the burgundy version would be something a bit different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

19f286b1dd58bbafbd8ea45fec28d0ed.jpg
    mac%2Babsolutely%2Bit%2Bpro%2Blongwear%2Blip%2Bpencil.jpg

Picked up these two going through the airport last week,I've never used a lipliner so I'm trying it out using youtube tutorials.
    It's a bit darker than my usual colour choices so I'm going to try it out for an autumn look.

Also picked up strobe cream but I havent worn makeup in the last week so so I've yet to try it out.
    Fingers crossed though because I'm a dunce with makeup.

(not my photos)

Advertisement