Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Septic tank charges

• 25-01-2012 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭chieftan65

Just a reminder to all my fellow country dwellers to register your septic thanks for inspection. I personally will register mine when Phil Hogan agrees to come and inspect it personally. I will let him get down in the tank so he can fully appreciate what the majority of people in this country find themselves up to the neck in to ensure that Phil and his fellow elite can receive a tap on the back and be called good little europeans. It didn't work with the OAP's phil and you wont bully the rural dwellers either

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

erm....how does one register? if one was going to that is?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭focusowner

i think i may have had an ingenious idea relating to the charge for the septic tank

we have a bit of land at the house so this would only work if you had some land but regardless

the charge applies to septic tanks only ....

so throw a set of cattle slats over it and 3 walls back and sides only and hey presto slatted cattle shed no need to register :)

so if someone comes out and says where is you're effluent going just say you use the shed job done :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

Would these "Inspectors" be classified as trespassers if they came to inspect your tank on your land uninvited?

Oh yes I must register.............not!!!
    :mad:

Us rural dwellers being screwed again!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The usual bleating. It is no more unreasonable to have a septic tank inspection charge than a charge for a NCT inspection or a driving test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Would these "Inspectors" be classified as trespassers if they came to inspect your tank on your land uninvited?

Oh yes I must register.............not!!!
    :mad:

Us rural dwellers being screwed again!
    No they wouldn't, they have the authority to come onto your property. I had a farmyard inspection from the council back in 2004 he walked in parked his car outside my house and poked his way around my yard only showing me his id when I confronted him. If they tripped over themselves while on your property it wouldn't surprise me if they could claim off you :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

I built a new house 5 years ago in accordance with the planning permission given to me . The co. council asked that an approved person that was on some list they had , had to pickout the bio cycle treatment system I was to use and design the percolation area before they would grant planning he also had to oversee the installation of the unit and the construction of the percolation area .Upon completion he then had to write a report stating that all was as it should be. My planning also required i sign up for a 5 year maintenance agreement with the supplier of the system.
    So the Co. Council know what system I have installed , what regulations it was designed to and when it was installed .They also know i have a maintenance agreement that runs out this summer.

My question is will they want to inspect my sewage treatment set up eventhough they know all there is to know about it and it was built and installed by a person approved by them?

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

ardmacha wrote: »
    The usual bleating. It is no more unreasonable to have a septic tank inspection charge than a charge for a NCT inspection or a driving test.

In your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭chieftan65

Ah good man.. very patriotic... here any chance you can pay mine too? and me NCT and me household charge and me car tax and me PRSI and me PAYE and me income levy. and sure maybe if you have enough left over you could pay for my petrol and heating oil and electricity and food too. dont worry about the kids cause if you pay all that i'll have a few quid to look after them.. cheers friend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

bbsrs wrote: »
    In your opinion.

mine too and im a rural dweller with my own septic tank , i dont buy into this rural - urban divide gombeen bull**** , spouted by the likes of populists like mattie mc grath

the bottom line is the country is broke and needs money , they could come up with a sharpen your pencil tax and it would all mean the same thing , the goverment feels the need to come up with an endless number of small spread out taxes because they havent the guts to simply cut wages , wellfare etc , it all goes into the same pot as local goverment is a sham in this country

My question is will they want to inspect my sewage treatment set up eventhough they know all there is to know about it and it was built and installed by a person approved by them?

Like the NCT they should start with the older setups.

dont worry about the kids cause if you pay all that i'll have a few quid to look after them.

Your children's allowance and funding for yours kids education is coming from the likes of me. Which is fine, everyone has to pay their share.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I built a new house 5 years ago in accordance with the planning permission given to me . The co. council asked that an approved person that was on some list they had , had to pickout the bio cycle treatment system I was to use and design the percolation area before they would grant planning he also had to oversee the installation of the unit and the construction of the percolation area .Upon completion he then had to write a report stating that all was as it should be. My planning also required i sign up for a 5 year maintenance agreement with the supplier of the system.
    So the Co. Council know what system I have installed , what regulations it was designed to and when it was installed .They also know i have a maintenance agreement that runs out this summer.

You admit yourself that your maintenance contract runs out this year, so of course the system should be inspected. Septic tanks don't maintain themselves any more than cars and can do tremendous damage to the environment if they fail in service. Somebody has to ensure that they are not polluting the groundwater as if Cavan CoCo figures are anything to go by, about one quarter of septic tank owners have tanks with issues.

The NCT analogy is spot on. For years we dodged implementing that EU directive as well.

I think new septic tanks installed by certified installers should perhaps be exempt from inspection for the first few years, just like a new car is exempt from the NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

murphaph wrote: »
    You admit yourself that your maintenance contract runs out this year, so of course the system should be inspected. Septic tanks don't maintain themselves any more than cars and can do tremendous damage to the environment if they fail in service. Somebody has to ensure that they are not polluting the groundwater as if Cavan CoCo figures are anything to go by, about one quarter of septic tank owners have tanks with issues.

The NCT analogy is spot on. For years we dodged implementing that EU directive as well.

I think new septic tanks installed by certified installers should perhaps be exempt from inspection for the first few years, just like a new car is exempt from the NCT.

If its an environmental issue then why do not all mains sewerage systems also not require certification? The same amount of effluent will travel down those pipes, and they are equally prone to degration, settlement, movement etc..

For clarity I should add.. I don't believe this is anything to do with the environment.. A council guy will come and stick his head in the tank and do sod all else.. This is a revenue generating scheme for the council nothing else.. I don't have any objections to paying extra tax, but this will be eaten up in inefficiencies and waste.. and will achieve little.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

I'd consider that report as "inspection complete" and any authority who demands a repeat inspection of this is just wasting money. In fairness if it could even be thought possible that this approved system would fail after so little time then they didn't do their job.

I agree, and it should be tiered from the oldest systems with no planning conditions inspected first, through those which were installed with with minimal conditions, then those that were nominally reviewed/signed off at construction stage. The last to be inspected (if ever) should be the gold standard like bbsrs's one.

Welease wrote: »
    If its an environmental issue then why do not all mains sewerage systems also not require certification? The same amount of effluent will travel down those pipes, and they are equally prone to degration, settlement, movement etc..

For clarity I should add.. I don't believe this is anything to do with the environment.. A council guy will come and stick his head in the tank and do sod all else.. This is a revenue generating scheme for the council nothing else.. I don't have any objections to paying extra tax, but this will be eaten up in inefficiencies and waste.. and will achieve little.
    It's an EU directive we've (with the exception of Cavan CC) been ignoring for 20 years. We are facing fines for not implementing it.

The NCT is not a revenue raising exercise. They actually check things are in order with stadardised testing (better than the UK MoT). It was implemented at a time when no extra revenue was needed. It was implemented under pressure from the EU who had passed the directive years before. This is no different except that we are broke at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭Icepick

Are you polluting your and your neighbour's land?
    If not, what's the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jased10s

where theirs muck their is money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Will you be paying for an inspection of your taxpayer-provided urban sewage system ?

And what if the level of inspection is the same calibre as the inspections of Priory House or the Financial Regulator ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

So right, and it doesn't matter if the thread is about septic tank charges, water charges, property tax, motor tax, tolls, etc. there is always a moan.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭chieftan65

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Will you be paying for an inspection of your taxpayer-provided urban sewage system ?

And what if the level of inspection is the same calibre as the inspections of Priory House or the Financial Regulator ?

well said liam

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Strawman nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Icepick wrote: »
    Are you polluting your and your neighbour's land?
    If not, what's the problem?

The problem is that if you do, as a result of a poor septic tank, clean-up is next to impossible. The "stitch in time saves nine" rule applies to pollution with "nine" replaced by a very much larger number.

They've been doing this in Cavan for the last 8 years, and rural life in Cavan hasn't collapsed as a result. And while they'll have to pay the registration fee for the national scheme, they're unlikely to have to pay for remediation or repair work, because they'll already have had to do that.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

No they wouldn't, they have the authority to come onto your property. I had a farmyard inspection from the council back in 2004 he walked in parked his car outside my house and poked his way around my yard only showing me his id when I confronted him. If they tripped over themselves while on your property it wouldn't surprise me if they could claim off you :mad:

But couldn't you just beat the crap out of him claiming that he was trespassing. When they (the courts) claim that he presented his ID you could simply say that you can't read. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

irishh_bob wrote: »
    mine too and im a rural dweller with my own septic tank , i dont buy into this rural - urban divide gombeen bull**** , spouted by the likes of populists like mattie mc grath

the bottom line is the country is broke and needs money , they could come up with a sharpen your pencil tax and it would all mean the same thing , the goverment feels the need to come up with an endless number of small spread out taxes because they havent the guts to simply cut wages , wellfare etc , it all goes into the same pot as local goverment is a sham in this country

Hey, I'm broke.....would you be happy to pay a little bit extra to get some money into my pocket even though I'm the cause of my own "brokeness"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Hey, I'm broke.....would you be happy to pay a little bit extra to get some money into my pocket even though I'm the cause of my own "brokeness"?

the goverment conjures up bogus charges like this septic tank thing because it doesnt discriminate , everyone pays it , its a cowardly charge , as i said earlier , if they cut the old age pension , took medical cards of those over seventy earning 650 euro per week and cut public sector pay , none of theese half measures would be nesscesery but the public would be equally outraged about those moves

Urban dwellers receive fewer social transfers than rural dwellers, so urban dwellers are already paying for whatever inspections and maintenance take place in urban sewage treatment systems.
    Well, why not eliminate all inspections and testing based on this argument? Who says my driving tester is up to the job? Why not just give me a licence based on my own "self assessment"? My car doesn't need to be NCT'ed, sure I know it's safe ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Urban dwellers receive fewer social transfers than rural dwellers, so urban dwellers are already paying for whatever inspections and maintenance take place in urban sewage treatment systems.

Do you have some stats to back that up? I am a septic tank owner (live less than a mile outside a town - not up the Wicklow mountains or the likes) and I see very few social transfers coming my way.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

There is a rule of thumb in enviromental law, polluter pays. This is well established and would allow the Courts to engage with issues from leaky tanks - if it were to be proved that this was at a measurable harmful impact to the environment. As governments usually have a degree of latitude on how to implement EU directives, this could be tried first without the need of a yet another new tax-funded agency.

Urban dwellers receive fewer social transfers than rural dwellers,

This too is simplistic. For instance, you only have to look at the higher rates of rent supplement paid in urban areas.

But this doesn't change the point. People on public sewers should pay a service charge. People providing their own facilities should be inspected. The government's mistake here was not introducing an urban charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Manach wrote: »
    There is a rule of thumb in enviromental law, polluter pays. This is well established and would allow the Courts to engage with issues from leaky tanks - if it were to be proved that this was at a measurable harmful impact to the environment. As governments usually have a degree of latitude on how to implement EU directives, this could be tried first without the need of a yet another new tax-funded agency.

The problem identified was that the Irish system - in every county bar Cavan - lacks any inspection regime, and may also lack an adequately enforced registration regime. So a first step is registration and the creation of an inspection regime.
    ardmacha wrote:
    This too is simplistic. For instance, you only have to look at the higher rates of rent supplement paid in urban areas.

Still, net social transfers are basically from Dublin (& hinterland) and Cork to everywhere else.
    ardmacha wrote:
    But this doesn't change the point. People on public sewers should pay a service charge. People providing their own facilities should be inspected. The government's mistake here was not introducing an urban charge.

That would be the domestic rates that were abolished in a vote-grabber back in the day, effectively putting the burden on local funding onto businesses only (and it's quite a burden - my office rates are a 10% of my rent, and while the landlords are open to the idea that recessions might involve lowering their charges, my rates haven't budged).

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Manach wrote: »

But I am not polluting, so why am I paying?

Advertisement