Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dying my red hair!!

• 07-06-2010 11:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi!!! I'm a natural red head with pale skin, freckles and blue eyes but i really want to change my hair colour as I'm getting sick of it. would anyone reccomend me to go blonde or brown??

Ps I've also been looking at these peek a boo highlights if anyone has an opinion on those!!

Thanks a mill!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Personally I don't think natural red hair looks right when bleached, possibly because it's already so heavily pigmented.

Why not dye it a really vibrant, fiery red instead? My hair is naturally a lighter ginger shade but I use the Live Colour XXL in a fiery red and it totally suits my skin tone. Plus you have the added advantage of it not fading as easily as you have a reddish base to begin with :)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Beffy

A lot of people would think you are mad dying hair thats such a nice colour already! Also I think red roots looks nasty. I've red hair and years & years ago I got my fringe dyed blonde, the colour had to be bleached out of my hair then colour put on top, it ended up like orange straw and I got it done professionally.

I just hope you don't regret it in years to come!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

+1 DONT BLEACH YOUR HAIR OP!

+1 for the suggestion to dye it a fiery red colour (live XXL) not brown!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭green909

Defiantly don't go brown it just doesn't suit red head skin tone. Blond if done correctly can look well and the skin tone should work with it. After all Cynthia nixon from sex and the city is naturally blond. But if you were to go with this option I would advise heavily against bleaching your hair start off with some highlights, get used to the idea of blond first then if you don't like it it wont be a difficult to reverse as an entirely bleached head. Your hair will stay in better condition too.

I think the best option, however, is to go with the fiery red look as mentioned above. There are some really nice red tones out there if you feel like a change. My personal favorite is Deborah Messing form will and grace.

Or if you really want to make a statement what about Florence form Florence and the machine. Her hair is fab.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭smilerxxx

Hi OP

I'm also a red head,
    DO NOT BLEACH YOUR HAIR!!!!!!!!!!!! IT'LL BE RUINED.

My hair is a very dark red, kinda copper really, i've the odd few freckles, but my skin is medium/fair and i've brown eyes.
    I tried low lights, used them very slowly and nothing dramatic. This gave me more control and i could judge it according to my skin.
    I'm back at the dark red now, but will put the low lights through again when I fancy a change.
    The condition of my hair is great and limited damage.
    I hope this helps a little!
    But i'm with the rest.... fiery red is fantastic!!!!! Maybe a different hair style might ease your boredom with it???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Go redder!! I'm a red head too, and recently helped out a hairdresser friend for a competition, going a combo or chocolate brown, peroxide blonde and copper. Now, she did a great job, but lord do I miss my hair! Getting it changed back this week!
    So, basically, accentuate the red!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭luv-eirexx

Ok thanks a mill for all your replies!!! I'm definately getting a don't change to blonde or brown vibe!!! Well I think I'm going to try on of those semi permanent hair dyes and go .... Bright bright red!! I really like the idea of Florence and the machine red!! Just slightly worried about all the Ginger jibin I'm going to get, get enough already!!!
    :)
    Thanks a mill!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

luv-eirexx wrote: »
    Just slightly worried about all the Ginger jibin I'm going to get, get enough already!!!
    :)
    Thanks a mill!!!

They're just jealous ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 April27

Hi.. My sister and i also have natural red hair, pale skin and freckles... a few months ago i got sick of my hair colour and dyed it a plum colour and loved it.. i recently went a light brown and im on my way to going blonde.. My sister has just dyed her hair a very dark brown.. we both love our new hair colours and are always trying new ones! I would highly recommend using wella colour touch dyes, they are semi permnent but still give a really rich and glossy colour!

http://www.wellaprofessionals.co.uk/hairdresser/products/color/color_touch/shade_portfolio/index.php

My sister dyed her hair fiery red before(in a salon) and it only lasted about one or two washes.

p.s: i would recommend if your going dark and have light eyebrows, either buy an eyebrow pencil or dye them too!

Good luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭LarryMac

I am a natural red head, I have been most colours, dark brown which I have to agree doesnt suit, I dont have many freckles, and my skin would tan, hane brown eyes,

I was a vibrant red years ago, my husband hated it!

I have been blonde for most of the time, from a few highlites to a full tint, I;m always told blonde suits me best, and my roots never look as bad as my friends that has darker roots, i suppose that deprnds on shade or red.

I am continplated going back a red colour like ashly simpson, for tyhe winter, but I hate the way no matter what colour red or type it always fades rerally quickly even with permanet colours.

If I do go red for the winter, I will deffintle go back blonde for the summer, I have been blonde for that much of my life now, It just feels like me, my hair never gets in bad condition,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Go brown, blonde with red roots looks unbelievably rediculous (I've done it) You could try a brown with a copper tone and it wont look awful a week after you do it

09beautifulbrunette.jpg

blue_eyes.jpg

Not the best pictures but there ya go

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Don't go blonde, don't get blonde streaks, just don't go near blonde. My friend did it (and her hair was beautiful red too) and its looked **** ever since, even when she dyed it back red. If you have to dye it something go for like a red brown/copper, or try henna dye from lush or somewhere, that way you can go quite dark ,but keep a really gorgeous red sheen to it

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Shmatter

I have naturally red hair, it's gotten quite dull over time, so I dye it all the time!

Blonde looks horrible and dull I found, but if you can get a nice strawberry blonde that might suit, Isla Fisher kinda colour, I think that's the prettiest

I wouldn't recommend going bright red, I found it horrible with my freckles and pale skin, my freckles are hardly noticeable but they showed up when I put XXL colour in it.

I dye my hair a chocolate brown at the moment, my natural red comes through and it gives it a really pretty shine, you can use a dye with a deep red undertone too, but stay away from purple I'd say, you need really warm colours if you have a natural red complexion, and stay away from anything yellowy and don't go dark black, cost me over 300e to get it off.

For the first time I'd say use a semi!!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭snooleen

If you're hair is very red anyway, trying out a semi-permanent blonde home dye will only lighten slightly, as blonde just doesn't take quickly to hair unless it's bleaching. My hair was a strange mousey mixture between orangey/red and blonde and it was very dull so I dyed it blonde and over the past year and a half I have built it up to a colour I love, you can still see glimpses of my original hair colour, which I like, it's probably cause I'm not dying it evenly, but they look like natural highlights, so who cares? :p I use Nice N' Easy, but I use the extra light blonde. If you want to lighten your hair just a little, try a honey blonde or something like that. Your hair won't actually turn honey blonde. Eg, mine looks peroxide on the box, but it's actually between honey and light blonde.

You could also try getting some blonde highlights done, although my sister did this when she was younger (her hair is a deeper red than mine) and I tried it too and it just looks a bit stripey, especially if you wear your hair quite straight and flat or have a middle parting.

Personally, I believe that a fiery Florence red is the way to go! I would LOVE to have hair as unique as that, you'd stand out in all the good ways and it would be striking against the pale colour of your face! I tried it before and LOVED it but am a blonde at heart (and it faded out very quickly because my hair was previously so light) :rolleyes: I just started in UCD though, and unlike before, blonde is probably the most common hair colour in the college :( Haha. Plus, if you do go blonde, and I mean properly blonde, or brown either, it will be difficult to change back. With a deeper or more red colour, you can allow it to fade out whereas my hair is now just blonde forever. Til it all falls out from blonde and heat damage :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Ooh, I love red hair, OP, I really do! I used to dye my hair but the up-keep was just too much for me :( Stay red, but if you really, really wanna dye it, I'd lean more towards brunette than blonde.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Dye it black

Black hair is awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭LarryMac

I went ahead and dyed my hair red, she dyed it a much darker colour that I had asked, it was like a dark brown which I always hated, just doesn't suit me with a hint of red! I wanted to cry..
    I got that colour bomb treatment in fire red to brighten it a little, but I dont want to get intense red done now I want my Blondie back:(,
    I am going to keep washing it and hope she can put highlights in it next week,
    I have changed back to blond a few times over the years but last time was about 5 years ago,
    I really am sorry I touched it,
    I'm never changing it again once I get back, I wouldn't mind knowing what is my natural shade of red at this stage it's been so long!
    Just wish I hadn't of touched my blond...keep you posted

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Shmatter

Try colour b4? Might be a much faster way to fix it, you can still get highlights after, but at least you can choose your base colour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭mprop

Dont do it! Red hair is awesome!!!!! Why cover up something like that! There is even a campaign to have an Irish Ginger Day!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ireland-should-have-a-day-to-celebrate-ginger-people/171635809528267

Advertisement