Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB laser card- can it actually be used online without cvv code

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

tech77 wrote: »
    There seems to be a lot of confusion about this.
    I've got the AIB laser/ATM card with the maestro logo on it.
    When i ring AIB about it they seem a bit clueless.

OK they say it only works for Irish sites apparently which is fair enough.
    They say putting in 000 for the cvv code might or mightn't work- you just have to chance it.
    So is there anyone here who can say for certain they have bought stuff online with an AIB laser/maestro card.
    If so what sites.
    Thanks.

Try the halifax visa debit card, it is valid everywhere and costs same government tax as laser card. Laser only works mainly on irish sites as you state so no good for foreign sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

colly10 wrote: »
    Its in the account if you check your balance but you wouldn't actually be able to take it out. It's seriously annoying (i've been stung more that once with a balance on my account but being refused funds by the atm)

+1 there this annoys the crap out of me i have had the laser card for 4/5 months now and between Standing orders/dd's sometimes i don't know my balance at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭White_Wolf

Right this is an old thread im bumping but i can say I have bought stuff online with my laser card ive only bought off http://www.elara.ie/ but i know they work put in 000 for cvc number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rosie cheeks

In the Republic of Ireland, most banks issue debit cards that are cobranded with Maestro and the Irish Laser card logos. These function as a Laser Card in Ireland and as a Maestro card when used abroad, although acceptance is quite patchy. Generally, the Maestro function on these cards only works when they are inserted into a POS terminal. They cannot be used as Maestro over the telephone or on the internet. However, they can be accepted online or over the phone by any merchant who accepts Laser card. All Irish debit cards are now issued with Chip and PIN technology and transactions are normally only authorised by PIN. Most Irish POS terminals now authorise all debit and credit card transactions onlineI][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed"][COLOR=#002bb8]citation needed[/COLOR][/URL][/I, so you cannot spend unauthorised funds.

yea so basically its crap! theoretically your suppose to be able to use ur laser card as there all now with maestro but you cant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 S_Holmes

I have a couple of queries relating to Ulster Bank Maestro Cards:
    My card was issued in the republic and has

XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX 16 digits on front and
    XXXX XXX 7 digits on back.

Does anyone have an Ulster Bank Maestro card in the republic where the last 4 digits (of 16 on front of card) are different from the first 4 (of 7 on back)?

Are cards issued to Northern Ireland customers using repeated numbers in this way also?

Does anyone know precisely which digits are entered into an online form to make a sucessful purchase with Maestro given that there is a Valid From date on the card.

Is it 16 from front and first four from back or
    Is it 16 from front and last three from back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Hi,
    I too would like to know as I would like to use mine online.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭jayo1994

hey i know this thread has been out a while but i just ordered something using my ma's laser card and where it said cvc i put in the last 3 numbers of the card and that worked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

Only Irish Companies can take Laser as it is a system we use here, if foreign companies want to take it they will need a Irish bank account which most don't have.

CVV number is not used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Its a no-brainer, forget about a laser card and get a halifax debit card, it can be used everywhere.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Halifax are pretty fussy about opening new accounts though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭madmik

byte wrote: »
    Halifax are pretty fussy about opening new accounts though.

are they ?

ive not had any problems although the application for their current account runs 7 pages long its just a formality

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

Only Irish Companies can take Laser as it is a system we use here, if foreign companies want to take it they will need a Irish bank account which most don't have.

CVV number is not used.

There is a work around for foreign companies if they use processors like Worldpay as a payment provider. Worldpay are set up to process laser transactions. I know that they offer Laser card as an option to UK and European merchants.

Not many will take it up because of the lack of security to the retailer but it's worth knowing that just because a site can accept your Irish laser card does not automatically mean they are Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Elara: Kin

Completely forgot about Worldpay, Realex and other processing companies... my bad.

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

Basically what it comes down to is retailers need to have permission from their Merchant Services to Accept Laser cards. Bigger companies usually will have this but small companies may not. UK customers have the same problem here that many Irish stores that accept laser wont take solo or switch cards.

In general though as a customer you'd be better off using a credit card than a laser card because you're insured for transactions and laser does not provide this back up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 nickc

why do you not use 3v it is like a credit card

nickc wrote: »
    why do you not use 3v it is like a credit card

downside are the fees!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 nickc

There is no purchase fee for €20 Vouchers; the fee for Vouchers with a value of €30 to €100 is €2.50 and for all Vouchers with a value more than €100, the fee is €5.

There is no purchase fee for €20 Vouchers; the fee for Vouchers with a value of €30 to €100 is €2.50 and for all Vouchers with a value more than €100, the fee is €5.

It all adds up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

If you want to buy a DVD online that say costs €19.50-€19.99 or whatever, you think "grand, I'll get a 3V card for a score and get that DVD and it's all gravy". Then you enter the card details and what happens? A pre-auth. transaction that isn't refunded for weeks. If it's Paypal then that means you're down about $1 and on top of that do you not get stung for a exchange rate commission charge?

Anyway, in the end you more than likely won't be able to buy your DVD cause you're a few pennies out. If your DVD costs less than the 19quid say and you can buy it, you're then going to be left with a few stray quid that is worthless and you can't use because the redeem or transfer fee is €2.50.

I don't like the other type of prepay credit card either though, the one where you're charged a % on transactions. Them cards have even more complicated rules.

Banks should get their act together and add security features and get the UK online shops to accept the Laser card but if they did that then all the people who get credit cards just to use them online wouldn't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭aoife1991

Howrya, I just ordered from play.com and they accepted my laser card, no problem :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement