Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any comments on these double glazing suppliers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

cjmcork wrote: »
    am looking at putting in a patio / double-glazed door in cork - any suggestions......

P.M sent :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

Hey,

thanks for those - rang Classic and Munster Joinery this morning - STILL waiting for a return call.

Dum de dum...............

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭carlows

Hey,

I just signed up on boards.ie to tell you NOT to go with Munster Joinery for windows or doors. Ordered my windows at the end of March, was told they would be delivered and fitted in 2 weeks.... 6 months on and order is not complete :mad:. There has been problem after problem. Building a timber frame house and one window is completly holding everything up. Can't finish blocks or slab and insulate inside as the area is exposed to our lovely weather! For 6 months i've been ringing my sales rep and head office but noone will return calls or talk to me. I'm absolutely furious and running out of options

"The professionals you can trust".....you can trust them alright....
    Trust me and stay well away. They may be cheaper but believe me it's not worth it

all, might be interested to learn that neither munster joinery or classic windows ever got back to me - the talk about the recession must be rubbish, cos these crowds are too busy to ring customers back......

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭edenbridge146

Good to know about Munster. House is 10 years old and they installed all windows here. Not great to be honest. I'm living here 6 years and can be a bit draughty. After comments above after no call back, I certainly won't be calling them either!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭TERRIC

think you've helped me make my mind up too - thank you. was so tempted to go with MJ as their quote will save us 3k but spending 8k versus 11k is a lot of money to save or waste overall. just so tempting when money is so tight...:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10 apolo

Be carefull the glass will fog up in double glazed windows and cost a fortune to replace in time, my case 15 years. secondary glazing migh be a cheaper choice in the long run. Initial cost of windows 1100, cost new glass 1500.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭carlows

Terric, I know 3k is alot of money in these times but its not in the long term. I was only saving 2k by going with MJ and its delayed me over 6 months. By the way my problem still isn't solved, manager still won't talk 2 me and sales rep won't answer his fone :mad:. You could save 3k somewhere else down the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 selfbuildlost

at the risk of being shot by munster joinery haters - I have used them before, my bother and parents also used them with no problems (except the sales reps are a bit slow). They were the cheapest I found and I'm using em again now on my new build.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 pears

Have recieved quotes from various companies for windows in my flat, they really range in price.. quoted today from Global Improvements, by far the dearest..received quotes from Fairco and Senetor and Cabra Windows ..looking for UPVC windows..

Any recommendations would be much appreciated..:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭AmcD

I got PVC windows in my old house in Cabra a few years ago, by a guy called Eddie Madden. Excellent service and cheapest quote. I rang him recently to ask a question about PVC windows in general, so he is still in business. At the time I also got quotes from Global, which were laughably expensive.

This time round I am getting Carlson to hopefully replace some crap windows that were originally installed by Munster Joinery.
    When I was doing up my current house, I was trying to close up the back of the house as soon as possible due to the winter weather. Munster said they could have windows in by about 3 weeks. Carlson said it would take up to 12 weeks. Carlson were going to replace the old aluminum single glaze around the rest of the house. In the end Munster were delayed by about three weeks and Carlson were early by about four weeks. So I wasted money on badly made, unpainted windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭horse7

i got double glazed windows about 20 years ago,but im wondering are the modern ones of better quality,i.e heat retention.

cjmcork wrote: »
    all, might be interested to learn that neither munster joinery or classic windows ever got back to me - the talk about the recession must be rubbish, cos these crowds are too busy to ring customers back......

just a follow up from my posts - I got my windows put in by a company based in a large county surburb (I'm not going to name the company, but if anyone wants to pm me I'll name and shame)........I've been experiencing issues with the lock on my door (locking me into the house)........and getting short shrift from the company - the lock seized again today and in an effort to get someone out to fix it, the company manager told me to enter and exit my house through the back door...........so AVOID this crowd like the plague........

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Gerry1995

I have also just got quotes from Horizon and Fairco for 8 windows, a back door and a french door for the porch. One window is a large window, all in cream. Horizon 10,300 for white 13,300 for cream, Fairco 10,300 for white 11,500 for cream. Both companies windows seem to be more or less the same quality from what I can see, I think theyu both use Glass from careys in Nenagh. One difference is the security at the hinge side, both have a piece on the window which catches the frame on the hinge side to stop the hinge being forces, with Horizon this piece is plastic with Fairco this is metal, seems better. So anyone any expierence of these two companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jar18

i would not recomend munster joinery.the workmanship on the products is an absolute disgrace, i wouldnt even fit them to an old barn. very disapointed with the work done.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ste15

I would highly recommend getting a quote from John Bracken, no fancy showrooms (so no extra cost passed on to customers) but he uses 'Rehau' window frames, very good quality, and his fitters are very professional and clean workers. I was very pleased with the price, quality and service. I passed on his card to several people and everyone was pleased. John is an easy going sales man, no pushy sales techniques.
    PS. I amn't related to him or anything like that, just a very satisfied customer. Oh, and they take on bigger work too, conservatories, extensions and breakthroughs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭emptyshed

I just got 8 windows, door and french windows/patio done for just under 6000. Same suppliers as Fairco, huge difference in price.
    The guy who did it was management in Fairco and went solo, so uses same suppliers etc, pm me if ya want his number.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Donie75

I just got 11 (mainly big) windows, a back door, front door and 2 french doors off Athlone Windows and they are top class and I got a great price. They use Pilkington K Glass with argon gas and Rehau frames. All for under €7K. Most other companies wanted €9k to €11K.
    I would highly recommend them. I have no connection to the company I'm just a satisfied customer. You can have a look at my windows if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭billybunty

try Weatherglaze in Wexford. They use a very good profile with A rated products

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Sorry for the off topic for a second,but can someone please explain to me how you are all allowed to name companies and makes here on this thread,but when I mentioned the name of a stove i was installing,the name and my post was removed and edited by mods??

Are you allowed to name brands and companies or not????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

jar18 wrote: »
    i would not recomend munster joinery.the workmanship on the products is an absolute disgrace, i wouldnt even fit them to an old barn. very disapointed with the work done.

Jar, are we talking about a recent install here, or one 10 years ago?. I just saw a triple glazed unit installed by Munster and was absolutely gobsmacked by the quality of it...nothing compared to the old munster joinery windows installed in my house ten years ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭billybunty

paddy147 wrote: »
    Sorry for the off topic for a second,but can someone please explain to me how you are all allowed to name companies and makes here on this thread,but when I mentioned the name of a stove i was installing,the name and my post was removed and edited by mods??

Are you allowed to name brands and companies or not????

Ya - I wasn't going to mention anywhere, I've no affiliation to the company at all - in fact I worked at another large window company but didn't mention them !! But I do get confused about the line between "advertising" and perhaps a person recommending someone they found good for something! Anyway, yes, this is off the beaten track slighly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I think the quality has improved a lot of all windows in the last few years. 10yrs is a good long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DubKatz

Can anybody recommend a decent, reliable, affordable (Am I asking for too much!) weatherglaze company, I am looking to get French porch doors installed. Have recieved a couple of quotes, have received a decent quote from one company but I just think there is something dodgy about them!!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jar18

hi tred. i had triple glazing fitted last spring. the plastic covering of the oak effect on the internal corners had just been torn off, half the windows have scratches on them , munster say they are not replacing them. dust inside of them. the list just goes on and on. i would stay clear of them. im sorry that that i contacted them in the first place. totally disgusted with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭maryxyz

Anyone know which replacement wooden windows have the slimmest frames ?

thanks

Mary

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

emptyshed wrote: »
    I just got 8 windows, door and french windows/patio done for just under 6000. Same suppliers as Fairco, huge difference in price.
    The guy who did it was management in Fairco and went solo, so uses same suppliers etc, pm me if ya want his number.

Just my tuppence worth, but Caveat emptor.

I went with a guy who had worked for Senator - got an Apeer door - sure it was manufactured by NewWorld anyway and Fairco/Asgard wanted 50% more.

But alas the guy's company stopped trading about 6 months later (vanished into thin air), so where do I go with my 10-year guarantee on fitting.

Alright, maybe these guarantees are worthless (if the comments on Munster are anything to go by), but having been bitten once, I'll be twice shy and will certainly go with a crowd that's been a long time in the business.

With hindsight it would have been well worth the extra money to go with another supplier and have the piece of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ReadySteadyGo

If you want good u-values (for whole window i.e. glass and frame) check out grady joinery

http://www.gradyjoinery.com/EnergyEfficiency.aspx

.8 for their triple
    1.2 for the double

Best U values I came across during my search.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Ailsabt

jar18 wrote: »

I totally agree on the bad workmanship from Munster Joinery. There appears to be no accountability with them. We got a wooden double glazed back door last March. The door itself was badly manufactured with cracks in the joins and slightly chipped. The fitters fitted it in the wrong way round so the beading is on the outside. The door never closed properly so we rang and an engineer came out - he said the door was warped and would need replacing. A new door came after many phone calls and months later. The new door finally arrived early October. Didn't fit. Turns out it was the 'frame' that was badly fitted. We're now waiting on fitters to come to refit the frame after many more phone calls. I sincerely hope we get some resolution as it is an extremely frustrating experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

I've heard and read bad reports about Munster Joinery and our architect has told us to stay far away and that he wont deal with them anyway due to bad experieces. So what are the alternatives? We're looking at Senator Windows and have now got a quote for windows and doors. Are there other alternatives out there as we dont want to put all our eggs in one basket?

Advertisement