Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

My insurance is going up

• 23-06-2008 10:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    My insurance is due in August and I went to the Quinn site yesterday to find my insurance is going up by 200 euro.

It was about 745 last year and this year they are looking for 990.

I have had no claim or anything. I have an extra year no claims. I'm one year older and I have my license for one extra year.

Anybody know why this would be?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

Your own renewal should be different. AFAIK quinn will deal if you ring them.

Try shopping around, I found First Ireland quite a lot cheaper than everyone else and a lot more decent than Quinn to deal with.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Go with a different company. I saved myself €300 going through www.123.ie.

Dunno why it has gone up, is it still the same car? Any penalty points? Any modifications?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Ah I bet you Quinn are going to use rising petrol prices as an excuse.... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

AA are a good brokers. It was cheaper for me to get my insurance through them than it was through AXA directly. I think you get discount on AA membership as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

+1 for AA. Both myself and the wife got better quotes from AA but when I told my current insurer they just matched it so I was happy with that.

And we didn't have AA membership either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Quinn are assholes. Enter your details for an online quote on their website as a new customer. I guarantee you the quote will be significantly cheaper. Take note of the reference number, ring them up and demand to speak to a customer service manager, no point in venting at the plebs. They will give you the better quote. Make sure you shop around before the call because there's nothing more satisfying than after they agree to match the online quote, to tell them that you've had a similar quote from another company and you're taking your business elsewhere because of their contempt for their existing customers, as demonstrated by their consistent issiuing of renewal notices for amounts far in excess of that which they quote online, to new customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If you are in Clare reagion, you can't beat the Munster Group Insurance brokers, they notify me every year with several quotations offering me the lowest. I have changed Insurance companies every year in the last three years each time getting a lower premium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Quinn are assholes. Enter your details for an online quote on their website as a new customer. I guarantee you the quote will be significantly cheaper. Take note of the reference number, ring them up and demand to speak to a customer service manager, no point in venting at the plebs. They will give you the better quote. Make sure you shop around before the call because there's nothing more satisfying than after they agree to match the online quote, to tell them that you've had a similar quote from another company and you're taking your business elsewhere because of their contempt for their existing customers, as demonstrated by their consistent issiuing of renewal notices for amounts far in excess of that which they quote online, to new customers.

I thought Quinn never moved on price. This quote is "as a new customer"

Sounds like you've had a bad experience of them. I have never had any problems with them in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭AdrianC

I thought Quinn never moved on price.

They'll move on price when you are comparing your own renewal to the price offered to a new customer. Last year my renewal was higher than the price given to a new customer online so they reduced to the lower.

This year my renewal was about 200 euro cheaper than the price given for a new customer online.

Wait till you get your renewal...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,876 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I entered my details on the site prior to my renewal and got an expensive quote, but the renewal letter I got in the post had a much lower quote.

• Advertisement

AdrianC wrote: »
    They'll move on price when you are comparing your own renewal to the price offered to a new customer. Last year my renewal was higher than the price given to a new customer online so they reduced to the lower.

This year my renewal was about 200 euro cheaper than the price given for a new customer online.

Wait till you get your renewal...
    Stark wrote: »
    I entered my details on the site prior to my renewal and got an expensive quote, but the renewal letter I got in the post had a much lower quote.

Cheers guys. That's good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Quinn did this to me too - I think it's quite common.

Don't worry about the renewal form they send out to you 2-3 months before your policy is due to run out. In my situation, I was paying via direct debit and the small text on the overly expensive renewal form indicated that I had to ring up to reject this renewal otherwise I'd be billed per month according to this new price they'd sent out in the post.

So, I checked online what my insurance would be to a new customer (as another poster pointed out) and it came out cheaper. So rang them up and explained the situation and they dropped the price.

Vertakill wrote: »
    Quinn did this to me too - I think it's quite common.

Don't worry about the renewal form they send out to you 2-3 months before your policy is due to run out. In my situation, I was paying via direct debit and the small text on the overly expensive renewal form indicated that I had to ring up to reject this renewal otherwise I'd be billed per month according to this new price they'd sent out in the post.

So, I checked online what my insurance would be to a new customer (as another poster pointed out) and it came out cheaper. So rang them up and explained the situation and they dropped the price.

Funny....your situation seems to be the opposite of what others are reporting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

How about you actually wait until your Renewal actually comes thru the door, then do an online comparison and ring them if the renewal is higher.

It happens often.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

I was with Quinn Direct and last years quote was 1,000 euro nearly even.

This years is 997, hardly a drop at all. P*ssed off no end, went to insure.ie and got a quote of 599 with Axa. I'd recommend insure as brokers, but no idea if they're OK to claim with?

Have gone on cover and everything, no issues so far, except they sent the insurance cert and disc twice, can't figure that bit out at all! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Mine dropped from 900 to 500. Couldn't be happier. If it's up when you get the renewal notice take action from there, pretty much speculation until you see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I was with Quinn for 3 years and every renewal quote I got in the post was about 200 quid more expensive than an online quote for a new customer. They always gave in when I called them on it. Until I turned 25 there was nobody that could undercut them. Now I'm with Hibernian via AIB for about 200 less than Quinn's lowest price.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Quinn where the cheapest option when I started out, but now there one of the more expensive insurer's for me (31). I was with them for two years and switched to Brittion who where alot cheaper. I got my renewal in February and decided on Hibernian who were originally one of the dearer to go with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 FocusIreland

i insured my car and my bike both with QD last year. and finally noticed i was robbed after i renewed my bike insurance without shopping around (thats stupid) so i had to cancel it went for another insurance company which was less than HALF price! not happy with them at all (few times bad experience). so i guess i ll never back to them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

Vertakill wrote: »

Same thing happened to me last year.
    When I rang up they played dumb but it does seem to be a common occurrence.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Wait for the renewal. I got my renewal quote from FBD last week. E1650 down to E1533. Jokish. So I checked out insure.ie, Quinn, Allianz.

Insure.ie / axa gave me E1350 or so.
    Quinn gave me E1300
    Allianz with my parents also ensured with them, gave me E1059

A good saving from FBDs renewal quote.

Maybe give Allianz a buzz. Quinn are noted for note being so nice after your 1st year with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 jimclub

I was with Quinn Direct and last years quote was 1,000 euro nearly even.

This years is 997, hardly a drop at all. P*ssed off no end, went to insure.ie and got a quote of 599 with Axa. I'd recommend insure as brokers, but no idea if they're OK to claim with?

Have gone on cover and everything, no issues so far, except they sent the insurance cert and disc twice, can't figure that bit out at all! :pac:

hi

there the broker so its the insurance company who deal + sort the claim out as far as i'm aware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Ferris wrote: »
    Your own renewal should be different.
    +1

Wait till closer the time. My insurance with quinn came down very marginally. They're by far the cheapest for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Insurance companies are like fishermen. Once they have you on the hook, they think that you can not get away.
    It is up to you to shop arround.
    My insurance for 2007 was €300 - the renewal quote for 2008 was €450.
    Did not make sence to me, so I called them to ask why it had gone up - the answer that I got was that the cheaper price was to bet my business, but now that they had my business, they were going back to the 'original' price.
    I phoned arround, and got a price of €320 from AA, so I went with them. This is not the first time that I have changed insurance companies because of price.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

If you are in Clare reagion, you can't beat the Munster Group Insurance brokers, they notify me every year with several quotations offering me the lowest. I have changed Insurance companies every year in the last three years each time getting a lower premium.

My mam just dumped Munster Group. They couldn't beat Hibernian with protected NCB and in transit personal accident for all drivers named on the policy

P.C. wrote: »
    Insurance companies are like fishermen. Once they have you on the hook, they think that you can not get away.
    It is up to you to shop arround.
    My insurance for 2007 was €300 - the renewal quote for 2008 was €450.
    Did not make sence to me, so I called them to ask why it had gone up - the answer that I got was that the cheaper price was to bet my business, but now that they had my business, they were going back to the 'original' price.
    I phoned arround, and got a price of €320 from AA, so I went with them. This is not the first time that I have changed insurance companies because of price.

Well I'd have absolutely no problem shopping around. I'm not usually the type of customer to be loyal - that's all a load of rubbish in my book and an old way of doing business in this nationalised, globalised economy.

Anything like gocompare.com or confused.com for Ireland that anyone knows of?

btw my car is worth under 1k but I put the value down as 3500 to bypass that "car worth under 3k - higher premium" thing in the past including my insurance I currently have. It's all legal to do as the insurance will only pay out what your car is worth at the time anyway and I'm tft anyway. Maybe they have copped on to this and that's why it's more expensive. It's the only reason I can thing of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 jimclub

the day of being LOYAL has gone, premiums are at an all time low. premiums will start increasing over the next year bit by bit so my advise is to be with one of the top brokers - they generally hold onto discrestionary discounts for longer, examples - www.insure.ie or www.aainsurances.ie .

they seem to be the biggest at the moment. qd will only offer good prices if theres huge returns to be made, i.e they will insure young driver cheap for third party only but wont be competitive for fully comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

A bit off topic,

but does Quinn's online quote system work for anyone? they've changed the system, and it seems to be easier now, but after I submit my info and it's done calculating, it tells me to give them a call, WTF is the point of an online service if at the end you have to call them anyway?

I've tried changing the details but it's still the same.

CyberGhost wrote: »
    A bit off topic,

but does Quinn's online quote system work for anyone? they've changed the system, and it seems to be easier now, but after I submit my info and it's done calculating, it tells me to give them a call, WTF is the point of an online service if at the end you have to call them anyway?

The same thing happened me when I tried to get a motorbike quote.

It's a little strange how this new system gets information from a server called quoteexchange.co.uk (edit: after a little research it's appears that this company just looks after that aspect (module) of their website)

Have a look in yout status bar and you will see it....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 FocusIreland

CyberGhost wrote: »
    A bit off topic,

tomorrow will be the 4th time i ring carol nash for changing my details...
    everytime when i got the 'corrected' proposal form i would see some other details are wrong... FE: my bike got an alarm,1st proposal came with right details, 2nd form said 'no alarm'. 1st form said 'kept at different address' which was total wrong because i said i have a garage for my bike at home. so 2nd form they fixed it. but the renew date they made a mistake again. i received 2 letters today from them. both came out on the same date. one said they didnt receive my NCB letter, i need to drop in in 7 days. another same date letter said my NCB already confirmed...:confused::pac: WTF, i know they got a computer for each staff, but are they NOT using the same datebase????:confused:

Advertisement