Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What is high milage for a 4 x4?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Thats a very valid point that one might not know its history and it may have had several engine changes. A simple check of its engine number to its book would clear that up though.

Erhm .. if Revenue in any of those places is as thorough as they're in Ireland, that's not gonna happen. I've at least imported 3 cars, where it was too much hassle to get the engine number of the engine and they've substituted it for either the chassis number or a random figure of 12345 or 99999.

In general, it doesn't tell much about the car anyhow. I'd rather buy a 4x4, that has had an engine swap, as it tells me, that the owner cared about the car and surely there was an issue with the previous engine. Might have been a monday morning model.

/M

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

So what is the solution, an hour meter for everything? Scrap the mileometer?

So what is the solution, an hour meter for everything? Scrap the mileometer?

In a perfect world, cars would have both milage and an hour meter (for the engine). Absolutely.

If the engine is replaced, the hour meter is reset or set to whatever is valid for the engine (if 2nd hand). There's already laws in most countries, that specify, the milage follows the chassis.

Now, that still doesn't tell you how much the engine has been stressed, but you'd be in a lot better position alright.

Just my 2c.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    There's already laws in most countries, that specify, the milage follows the chassis.

You mentioned this already, does not every vehicles mileage follow the chassis unless one changes the clocks or plug it in?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

just put new engine and transmission into it

• Advertisement

You mentioned this already, does not every vehicles mileage follow the chassis unless one changes the clocks or plug it in?

What is done and what's the law are two different things.

By law, even if the clocks are changed, they should be programmed to the chassis milage. Newer cars (for example BMW) record the milage in the clocks, keys and in 1 or 2 different ECU's, so it's hard to tamper.

Milage is also recorded on every NCT and now CVRT. So if somebody tampers with it, it'll show in the history.

Again, all of this is only as good, as the person who enters the data.

/M

Forget about one changing clocks like for like of course they should match up, back to your lt do you regard your van has reached a true 600,00km although it took another engine to reach it?

Because the engine is only one part of it all.

There are axles, gearbox, transferbox, lots of parts, that make the whole 4x4.

At the end of the day, the truck is 25 years old and the shell has seen over 600k km. I know though for example, that it's on it's first set of axles and that's not an unimportant thing, when it comes to a 4x4. First gearbox, too.

/M

Fair point but you have to consider the engine as being the main factor here. Alot of good axles and boxes etc will do without an engine.

Fair point but you have to consider the engine as being the main factor here. Alot of good axles and boxes etc will do without an engine.

We could argue, that if you never replace any of those parts (engine, gearbox, t-case, axles etc.) then you're not pushing your truck hard enough.

When buying a 4x4, I'd rather buy one, that has it all replaced (as it needed replacing), than one that hasn't. Because the one that hasn't, might need to have it replaced tomorrow and will cost me a fortune.

I do agree though, that the average milage figure you get out of a truck without hassle gives you a good indication, which trucks are more reliable and which are not.

Record figures unfortunatly tell you nothing. Apart from the glory aspect.

/M

• Advertisement

When buying a 4x4, I'd rather buy one, that has it all replaced (as it needed replacing), than one that hasn't. Because the one that hasn't, might need to have it replaced tomorrow and will cost me a fortune.

Think abut what you are saying here, take any 4x4. Does an owner ring up their main dealer and ask them what mileage or what recommendations they have at replacing a gearbox, transfer box or axles? Do they hell.
    What is your recommendation of changing such items?

What is your recommendation of changing such items?

If it starts whining and throwing out oil, it needs rebuilding, getting bearings replaced, etc.

If I've pushed my luck too far, it needs replacing.

If it packs in before I noticed, it was screwed, it probably damaged a whole sh!tload of other things in the process, which then also need to be replaced or will die soon after.

:)

At the end of the day: servicing and maintaining by the owner. The all important factor.

/M

If it packs in before I noticed, it was screwed,

Anyone mechanically minded would pick up on such a problem, take a whiny diff or leaking diff etc. Wet around a drive shaft indicating that the diff may be low on oil etc.

Anyone mechanically minded would pick up on such a problem, take a whiny diff or leaking diff etc. Wet around a drive shaft indicating that the diff may be low on oil etc.

Yep. Now .. how many 4x4's (or what people call 4x4's) are out there ? And how many of these people owning these do you consider mechanically minded ?

:D

/M

Yep. Now .. how many 4x4's (or what people call 4x4's) are out there ? And how many of these people owning these do you consider mechanically minded ?

:D

/M

Im no qualified mechanic or 4x4 mechanic but im around them since i was in national school and i have learned myself. Im not calling myself an expert or anything but if i go looking at a jeep i can make an accurate judgement on its condition.
    I don't base the quality of the jeep on its current doe or the speal out of its owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

Just "unfollowed" from this topic.
    Kind of impressive how two eejit's can ruin a good topic...

Please continue Marlow, please continue Kevin..

Well said Seamus1964, very true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭BreadnBuddha

Well said Seamus1964, very true.

Ironic.

Kevin, it's an engine, not a soul of some kind.

A heart transplant doesn't mean the recipient isn't the same person they were before, just that they needed a major swap out to keep adding the time and distance to their life. An engine swap is the same thing.

Advertisement