Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Warning - Nissan Qashqai clutch failure

• 18-08-2011 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Just had to pay €750 euro to replace clutch in wife's 08 Qashqai. Only has 50k miles on the clock with one experienced driver. Contacted Nissan Ireland and there attitude to the situation stinks, refusing to pay or compenstate for clutch failure due to 'wear & tear'. My argument to them is that even if a clutch or any other part of the car is worn out so quiuckly this is obviously a manufacturing fault and therefore Nissan should cover this.

Have seen other threads on UK forums where is looks like this is a common problem with Qashqai's so be warned. We were considering getting the Qashqai + 2 model in the future but after this we will never buy another Nissan.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

Nissan Ireland were well within their rights to refuse. Are you sure you're not just pissed off with having to pay to get i done?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Daved_XB

To be honest every car maker would have the same response, clutch, tires, breaks are all wear & tear items... sure someone could wear out a clutch in 50 miles let alone 50,000 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 YESHUCKSTER

Not reasonable given the low mileage and the fact that the car cost €27k just 3 years ago.

Have no problem paying for 'usual' costs associated with a car of this age such as servicing, tyres, brake pads etc - all items that truely are exposed to 'wear & tear' but a clutch being worn at 55k miles is just ridiculous and is clearly a manufacturing failure.

Have done nearly 120k miles in my own car with no clutch problems and the wifes previous car a VW polo is still going strong with the orignal clutch and it's a 00 reg with nearly 150k miles and has been used by 3 different learner drivers during it's lifetime to date.

Would have thought that Nissan could have at least made some gesture given the orignal cost of the car and the fact that is less than 3 years since it was bought. Guess they don't value customer loyalty.

My advice to anyone thinking of buying a 2nd hand Qashqai is steer clear unless it's had the clutch replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭phill106

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Did Nissan remove and examine the clutch before deciding that it was wear & tear?

• Advertisement

My advice to anyone thinking of buying a 2nd hand Qashqai is steer clear unless it's had the clutch replaced.

This isn't an issue with them AFAIK. I've never come across it.

After 50k miles, yes it's early, but it's not unreasonable for it to fail.

And Nissan are well within their rights not to cover it. It normally wouldn't be covered as it's a wear and tear item and the car is outside it's warrant anyway.

Do you mind me asking did you drive it hard during the cold snap, get stuck in snow/mud and ride the clutch trying to get out or do any towing with it or anything else which would shorten it's life?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

50k miles for a clutch to go is not a lot and I can understand the OP feeling aggrieved. However 50k does give Nissan an out because it is well within the "fair wear and tear" zone.

Given the amount of work involved, €750 for a clutch replacement from a main dealer doesn't seem too bad either.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

If they replaced if for you everyone could dog their clutch and claim it wasn't there fault, they've no way of proving you didn't pull a house behind you for the last 50,000

Interesting feedback all...

@ Anan 1 - no they made the call that it needed replacign before actually removing it. Based their decision on the car 'juddering' and clutch slipping on their test spin during service.

I see some folks in the UK who encountered the same problem have had some success getting Nissan to cover under warranty.. http://forum.qashqaiclub.co.uk/judder-when-moving-away_topic2055.html

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

@ Anan 1 - no they made the call that it needed replacign before actually removing it. Based their decision on the car 'juddering' and clutch slipping on their test spin during service.
    IN order to decide whether it was covered under warranty, they'd have to determine why it needed replacing. Wear & tear would not be covered, but failure due to a manufacturing defect would.

• Advertisement

johnos1984 wrote: »
    This isn't an issue with them AFAIK. I've never come across it.

After 50k miles, yes it's early, but it's not unreasonable for it to fail.

And Nissan are well within their rights not to cover it. It normally wouldn't be covered as it's a wear and tear item and the car is outside it's warrant anyway.

Do you mind me asking did you drive it hard during the cold snap, get stuck in snow/mud and ride the clutch trying to get out or do any towing with it or anything else which would shorten it's life?

No hard driving to be honest - wife was off work during cold snap and my car was used for any trips we needed to make.

No towing either

To be honest I was really shocked that it had gone so quickly as it's a one driver car that's had no abuse and the heaviest load it's hauled is the weekly shopping from Lidl's:)

To be honest I was really shocked that it had gone so quickly as it's a one driver car that's had no abuse and the heaviest load it's hauled is the weekly shopping from Lidl's:)
    I can understand you feel hard done by at 50k miles (I wouldn't be impressed either) but I doubt Nissan Ireland will be too willing to help.

Is your clutch just juddering or has it actually failed?

The link you posted is just for clutch judder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Master and commander

well i agree, therey are just telling the truth. Brakes clutches tires and the like are wear and tear items and could be worn out in that time due to the drivers habits.

I think if you read the small print of the warranty it will state that friction linings in clutches and brakes are not included in the warranty so i'm afraid you'll just have to pay for it. They are under no obligation to replace it free of charge since its not covered.

No offence but in general the formula "clutches + women = not good" applies here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

shamwari wrote: »

Given the amount of work involved, €750 for a clutch replacement from a main dealer doesn't seem too bad either.

Surely it was just the clutch disk & not the pressure plate etc that needed changing?

Is 750 not very high? or am i just ignorant to the cost of running a modern car?? :o

well i agree, therey are just telling the truth. Brakes clutches tires and the like are wear and tear items and could be worn out in that time due to the drivers habits.

I think if you read the small print of the warranty it will state that friction linings in clutches and brakes are not included in the warranty so i'm afraid you'll just have to pay for it. They are under no obligation to replace it free of charge since its not covered.

No offence but in general the formula "clutches + women = not good" applies here

Would normally tend to agree with the formula above but the my problem is how can it be that a person (male or female) drive 2 cars for 100k + miles with no clutch problems yet then on a 3rd car with half the milage the clutch goes? In this scenario the driver is the same, only difference is the cars / manufacturers.

Refuse to accept the thinking of categorising a clutch in the same bracket as brakes / tyres as these items are clearly 'consumables' that will wear over the same period of time pretty much regardless of make/model, although driver habits will be a factor to consider with these.

There are thousands of cars on the road with 100k+ miles done that have never had a clutch replaced, don't think the same can be said for tyres or brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

Would normally tend to agree with the formula above but the my problem is how can it be that a person (male or female) drive 2 cars for 100k + miles with no clutch problems yet then on a 3rd car with half the milage the clutch goes? In this scenario the driver is the same, only difference is the cars / manufacturers.

Refuse to accept the thinking of categorising a clutch in the same bracket as brakes / tyres as these items are clearly 'consumables' that will wear over the same period of time pretty much regardless of make/model, although driver habits will be a factor to consider with these.

I there are thousands of cars on the road with 100k+ miles done that have never had a clutch replaced, don't think the same can be said for tyres or brakes.

In my humble opinion there are too many variables involved to compare other cars, or even another Qasqai to yours; driving style, number of stop-starts, hill starts, possible resting of foot on clutch pedal whilst driving, holding it with the clutch on a hill, even the materials used in the clutch friction plates.

I agree 50k is relatively low for clutch faliure, but, It has to be accepted as a consumable, if it failed on 5k I would understand.

There are also thousands of cars on the road that have had to have clutch changes well before 100k miles..

I do feel for you having to fork out such a sum for something you would hope to do at least twice the mileage, but I dont think that Nissan have a case to answer..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

Bought a car from new. Did 30k miles. Changed car and gave the car with 30K miles to herself. At 40K miles the clutch was gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭TigerTim

I've just seen my mechanic replacing al clutch & dial mass flywheel on an 08 Ford Focus ad 50K miles(80K KMS). He says the DMF are giving unreal issues.

My old Corolla had 180K miles on original clutch. Older technology used.

T.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Master and commander

Surely it was just the clutch disk & not the pressure plate etc that needed changing?

Is 750 not very high? or am i just ignorant to the cost of running a modern car?? :o

its probably just the disk that is shot but when clutches are replaced it is done as a kit and the disk, pressure plate and release bearing are all replaced also regardless of their condition. I used to work in a agri dealer and when we had to split a trator for some reason we automatically replaced the clutch regarless of whether there was anything wrong with it or not. I imagine it would be the same for a jeep.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

Petrol or Diesel ? I guess Diesel am I right ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Halfshaft

Any pics of the worn clutch in question? 1 good inspection of the 3 piece clutch would tell alot about what happened.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

There are thousands of cars on the road with 100k+ miles done that have never had a clutch replaced, don't think the same can be said for tyres or brakes.

There are also thousands of qashqai's on the road with 100k+ miles done that have never had a clutch replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

scholar007 wrote: »
    Bought a car from new. Did 30k miles. Changed car and gave the car with 30K miles to herself. At 40K miles the clutch was gone.

My significant other put 198,000 miles on one clutch in her old e36 :)

Halfshaft wrote: »
    Any pics of the worn clutch in question? 1 good inspection of the 3 piece clutch would tell alot about what happened.....

Am following up with the dealer to get the original clutch back - will post pics when I have them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

mb1725 wrote: »
    My significant other put 198,000 miles on one clutch in her old e36 :)

The women and clutches thing is rubbish IMO, in the 12 years I've known the better and the 3 cars she'd had in that time none have ever needed a clutch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Fabritzo wrote: »
    Ah, another women versus clutches thread. 50k is pretty good going in fairness.

Lads, if you can't keep your stupid, sexist comments to yourselves, you're going to be banned from this forum for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Am following up with the dealer to get the original clutch back - will post pics when I have them
    They'll probably tell you that the price they gave you was based on exchange of old parts and therefore they won't give you the old ones back

• Registered Users Posts: 23 April08

I have a 2010 Qashqai and I have had nothing but trouble from day one. Firstly, three weeks after purchasing I noticed the paint bubbling on the boot. I brought back to the dealer and several phone calls and letter writing to Nissan HQ and haggling finally got them to agree to replace the boot lid. They only wanted to respray it. The second problem came 6 months on when the fan belt went. THey duly replaced it. The third problem came at 12 months when the bearing in the front went. They replaced this too. Has anyone encountered problems like these with their new Qashqai?...... I will NEVER buy another NISSAN again. I had a Toyota for years and never had a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

While knowing nothing about the driving style of the OP, all I can say that given the abundance on modern diesels with loads of low down torque on the road, I'm not surprised if clutches are being burned out.

The amount of people I hear and smell slipping clutches on diesel cars is unreal when out walking around any hilly parts of town. It seems that people were used to the characteristics of torque delivery of a petrol engine and are driving the diesels that way, resulting in lots of needless slipping clutches.

Also, OP, is this your first Nissan? I know that the Nissan hydraulic clutches can take a small bit of getting used to and can lack "feel". I know it took a bit to get used to mine.

By the way, my record for burning out a clutch is 1.2 miles.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 AndrewBond

Qashqais are not too bad in terms of reliability, they give small troubles here and there but generally they are OK, not any worse than majority of modern cars. Prematurely worn clutch is not common problem for them (its Navaras and Pathfinders that are giving a lot of troubles with burnt clutches - bad design causing overheating of the clutch). Dealer was, most likely, right as it is practically impossible to proof some manufacturing defect that caused clutch to wear excessively. Unless manufacturing defect was proved, warranty will be lawfully rejected. You can choose not to buy another Nissan if you like, but the same practices are used by all manufacturers and their dealers

Advertisement