Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eagles Agree - Clare is a great place to live

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

Wonderful, hopefully they will flourish. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

is it holy island?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

philstar wrote: »
    is it holy island?

Judging from rte news, it looks like Bushy Island, but it could be the one between Bushy island and hold island. I can't remember if it's called Nun's island or Young island.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Clareman wrote: »
    Some good publicity for the county

Eagles nest for first time in 100 years

yeah :)

from radiokerry.ie

"30 Apr 2012

White-tailed sea eagles spotted nesting

And finally it's hoped there's going to be a baby boom for Kerry's white-tailed eagles - but it seems that the birds have decided to snub this county!
    A pair of the sea eagles have been spotted nesting near Lough Derg, in Co. Clare.

It's hoped that the happy couple may soon hatch some chicks - which would be the first time the region had seen sea eagle chicks in 110 years. The breeding pair was released in Killarney National Park last year as part of the White-Tailed Eagle Reintroduction Programme.

Although some pairs have established themselves in Kerry, the nesting attempt in Clare is the first known such event since the programme began. But what is Kerry's loss has proven to be Clare's gain! Eoin O'Hagan is the founder of Clare-Virtually-dot-ie which promotes tourism in the area"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Delighted to hear that wildlife is flourishing but wonder should I be worried about losing young fowl to eagles. Have 4 newly born gosling in field and will soon have chicks wandering about.
    Wonder would eagle take small animals like that away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Great news I wouldn't mind a trip to Clare for a look..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,603 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Delighted to hear that wildlife is flourishing but wonder should I be worried about losing young fowl to eagles. Have 4 newly born gosling in field and will soon have chicks wandering about.
    Wonder would eagle take small animals like that away.

They'd be very shy of humans and habitation so should steer well clear of areas around farmyards etc. Personally I wouldn't let very young goslings wander too much in the open anyways as they would be an easy meal for everything from a Grey Crow to a fox. This eagle species is mainly a scavanger with sea-birds like Gulls and young cormorants taken occasionally. Which should make the anglers on Lough Derg happy given its large Cormorant population;)

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

kerry4sam wrote: »
    yeah :)

from radiokerry.ie

"30 Apr 2012

White-tailed sea eagles spotted nesting

And finally it's hoped there's going to be a baby boom for Kerry's white-tailed eagles - but it seems that the birds have decided to snub this county!
    A pair of the sea eagles have been spotted nesting near Lough Derg, in Co. Clare.

It's hoped that the happy couple may soon hatch some chicks - which would be the first time the region had seen sea eagle chicks in 110 years. The breeding pair was released in Killarney National Park last year as part of the White-Tailed Eagle Reintroduction Programme.

Although some pairs have established themselves in Kerry, the nesting attempt in Clare is the first known such event since the programme began. But what is Kerry's loss has proven to be Clare's gain! Eoin O'Hagan is the founder of Clare-Virtually-dot-ie which promotes tourism in the area"

Who'd blame them for snubbing Kerry after the treatment they've been given there? (poisoning)!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,603 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Jim Martin wrote: »
    Who'd blame them for snubbing Kerry after the treatment they've been given there? (poisoning)!

I think overall the situation has improved thanx to the banning of all outdoor poison baits since 2010 - only covered/indoor rodenticides are allowed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I called down to Mountshannon harbor today at about 3 o clock. If you have binoculars and know where to look, you can clearly see the nest and the pair on it. we were there for about 5-6 minutes but in that time there was at least 10 other people either coming or going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

I called down to Mountshannon harbor today at about 3 o clock. If you have binoculars and know where to look, you can clearly see the nest and the pair on it. we were there for about 5-6 minutes but in that time there was at least 10 other people either coming or going.

I'd recommend going to Mountshannon on saturday and visiting the Farmers market from 11am to 3.00pm.
    Eat well and see the Eagle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

They're beautiful birds! :) Can wait to see pictures of the chicks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Taceom

They're beautiful birds! :) Can wait to see pictures of the chicks! :D

Apparently according to Dr. Mee there may not be chicks this time round. Usually these birds lay 2 eggs but as these are new parents only one egg may be more likely and even more likely that the egg may not be fertilized this time round.
    I guess only time will tell. It would be nice to think it could be a completely successful good news story.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭phill106

Love the idea of "lost" animals coming back to ireland. I hope there are no more poisoning or hunting of these beautiful birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Yeah it is so far a wonderful good news story. Lets hope it continues , will head down there in the next day or two.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Carazy

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Taceom

It seems their nesting attempt wasn't successful this time. http://goldeneagle.ie/news_viewnews.php?z=43&news_id=7&article=307

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^

thats a pity,

hope nothing happens to them now esp after the poisoning in mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Taceom wrote: »
    It seems their nesting attempt wasn't successful this time. http://goldeneagle.ie/news_viewnews.php?z=43&news_id=7&article=307

awww :(

but the following is positive though :)
    The pair incubated their egg/s for almost 7 weeks and showed themselves to be great parents, building a nest, bringing food to the nest and sharing the duties at the nest for the whole incubation period. This experience will stand to them on their next breeding attempt in 2013.?

Advertisement