Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cheltenham Ante Post Pick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Morgans

I will be opposing Grand Crus in the RSA. I thought he was more dominant than the winning margin was. If he was mine, I'd even think of going the softly softly route this year, probably the Arkle, and then step him up next year. It could be that he does his racing a long way from the finish but I wasnt impressed with how close the others were at the finish line, compared to how far behind they were three out. I think it would be a shame if he went for the Gold Cup. Wouldnt surprise if to see him thrown Gloria Victis like into the Racing Post chase as a prep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

The Pipes are greedy, they value prize money over what's best for the hors I'd make GC a 6/4 shot to line up in the Gold Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Goldcupfav

The Gold Cup now looking like a match bet. Still think there is value in the 25/1 Boyles are offering on TFR.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Agree with that, he looks one of the only ones capable of a big run back at his favourite track. Certainly has great place prospects.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Ladbrokes are NRNB on the 4 championship races

Prices aren't great on the Gold Cup though. They had been top price Captain Chris at 33/1 but they've shaken their market up after the Lexus

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Ladbrokes are NRNB on the 4 championship races

Prices aren't great on the Gold Cup though. They had been top price Captain Chris at 33/1 but they've shaken their market up after the Lexus

8/1 NRNB on Grands Crus might'nt be a bad bet at the moment.

Your right about their odds being bad tho nearly every horse is shorter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Best bet at the moment for me is Scotsirish in the Cross Country at 4/1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

Grands Crus heading down the Pillar/Gold Cup route according to the RP

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Hoofer

First Lieutenant 20-1 RSA chase, out of presenting so better ground a major factor for this horse,backed him heavily in neptune last year, backed china rock in 2009, came 4th, backed venalmar 2008, came 2nd by a neck..i nearly collapsed watching it from the club enclosure..gutted.F L is proven around cheltenham, mouse will relish the challenge to improve his jumping and to have him spot on for the day and have a right crack at it..thats why Davy Russell wont get off him for any other Gigginstown horse..hes thinking ahead to the olympics...get on lads:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

Hoofer wrote: »
    First Lieutenant 20-1 RSA chase, out of presenting so better ground a major factor for this horse,backed him heavily in neptune last year, backed china rock in 2009, came 4th, backed venalmar 2008, came 2nd by a neck..i nearly collapsed watching it from the club enclosure..gutted.F L is proven around cheltenham, mouse will relish the challenge to improve his jumping and to have him spot on for the day and have a right crack at it..thats why Davy Russell wont get off him for any other Gigginstown horse..hes thinking ahead to the olympics...get on lads:)

I will be avoiding him like the plague, the ground was good in Leopardstown on the 28th by the way

Reading the racingpost yesterday there was a section on horse racing specials for 2012

One that stood out for me was Coral going 5/1 for Big Bucks to start odds against in the World Hurdle

First up people will shout "are you mad, he's 4/7 ante post". True, however the same was the case this year. Odds on at this stage and that was before Grand Crus blast on the scene in the Cleeve Hurdle. This year his opposition might include Thousand Stars, Oscar Whiskey among others. I'm confident evens or possibly odds on will be available on the day whether his SP stands up is a different matter

All in all 5/1 is too big IMO (seeing as he was available at odds against on the day the last 2 years in arguably weaker races). Pity it's with Coral as they won't take Euro bets (well didn't used to is this still the case?)

It's here with a few other specials

Reading the racingpost yesterday there was a section on horse racing specials for 2012

One that stood out for me was Coral going 5/1 for Big Bucks to start odds against in the World Hurdle

First up people will shout "are you mad, he's 4/7 ante post". True, however the same was the case this year. Odds on at this stage and that was before Grand Crus blast on the scene in the Cleeve Hurdle. This year his opposition might include Thousand Stars, Oscar Whiskey among others. I'm confident evens or possibly odds on will be available on the day whether his SP stands up is a different matter

All in all 5/1 is too big IMO (seeing as he was available at odds against on the day the last 2 years in arguably weaker races). Pity it's with Coral as they won't take Euro bets (well didn't used to is this still the case?)

FYI Coral now accept euro bets

However they would only offer me the pathetic sum of €25 at 5/1 FFS

I've never had a bet with them before btw so it's not like I'm restricted on sports

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Plentyofice

I think when Dylan Ross gets proper ground and carberry stops acting the f*ck he'll go close.
    Ut de sivola at 20/1 for the triumph...

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭sonnky

Galileos Choice in the Supreme if he goes for it. Ran a cracker behind a Mullins horse in a G1 at Fairyhouse on heavy ground. Will appreciate better ground. He has a bit of class a Grade 3 winner on the flat and I think he will like Cheltenham, as hes won at tracks like at before. 16/1 is too big for him at the moment.

I think when Dylan Ross gets proper ground and carberry stops acting the f*ck he'll go close.
    Ut de sivola at 20/1 for the triumph...

Where is there 20 available for Ut plentyofice?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭ste2010

Anyone got an opinion on prospect wells performance yesterday..I'd be interested to see if there was anything wrong with him? It was a terrible perf which looked way below par

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Where is there 20 available for Ut plentyofice?

14/1 best price on Oddschecker

No 20's showing in the history

ste2010 wrote: »
    Anyone got an opinion on prospect wells performance yesterday..I'd be interested to see if there was anything wrong with him? It was a terrible perf which looked way below par

I think that horse needs further and I'd be very surprised if he was a grade 1 horse

• Advertisement

UrbanSea wrote: »
    I think that horse needs further and I'd be very surprised if he was a grade 1 horse

On the other hand this and Ericht being smashed by Colour Squadron and Montbazon next time out may knock Steps To Freedom's form too

I definitely think there could be mileage in taking a punt on an unexposed Irish challenger at a decent price, possibly Cash And Go

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭sonnky

On the other hand this and Ericht being smashed by Colour Squadron and Montbazon next time out may knock Steps To Freedom's form too

I definitely think there could be mileage in taking a punt on an unexposed Irish challenger at a decent price, possibly Cash And Go

What do you think about Galileos Choice, Colonel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

ste2010 wrote: »

Don't think the horse is what they thought he would be tbh. Possible he wasn't ready for yesterday's race as he only got an entry on Monday when they reopened entries due to the lack of them. Maybe Nicholls thought handy few quid there so why not have a go.

Good performance by Hold on Julio despite some big jumping errors he ran away from them with ease, if his jumping holds up around Cheltenham he'd be a decent bet for the Festival Trophy on the first day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

10th of December was the only time i could see 20/1 about in the Bet365 column.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Plentyofice

Got it off Will Hill over a phone bet before he even showed in the betting.

Pricewise on the champion hurdle tomorrow, anyone care to guess?

Thought Oscars Well at 25/1 NRNB at first

Zarkandar and Spirit Son all blue on Oddschecker

Oscars Well cut by Ladbrokes NRNB but not by the ante post firms

Not sure what to think, If I was Ladbrokes I'd have done the same. If he fancies OW then it makes sense to take 20/1 NRNB over 25/1 AP. Shave 5 points and maybe still be able to lay it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Pricewise on the champion hurdle tomorrow, anyone care to guess?

Thought Oscars Well at 25/1 NRNB at first

Zarkandar and Spirit Son all blue on Oddschecker

Oscars Well cut by Ladbrokes NRNB but not by the ante post firms

Not sure what to think, If I was Ladbrokes I'd have done the same. If he fancies OW then it makes sense to take 20/1 NRNB over 25/1 AP. Shave 5 points and maybe still be able to lay it

Zaidpour maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Zarkandar I reckon.

ft9 wrote: »
    Zarkandar I reckon.
    Looks a distinct possibility looking at Oddschecker but I couldn't tip a horse who hasn't run yet at this stage of the season.

Having said that last year's juvenile's look a pretty decent bunch.

• Advertisement

Unaccompanied shortening & a few others are blue Oscars Well too

Segal tipped Unaccompanied at Xmas so might follow up here.

4 horses blue, must be one or more of them. Not a great job of narrowing down there!

I'll go for Oscars Well, 1pt ew with Ladbrokes at 20/1 NRNB

Advertisement