Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ULSU Elections 2011 (Voting Thursday March 24)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Election blogs:

ULSU Elect

For people on mobiles and other devices with small screens, the mobile device link to this thread is:
    http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056212697
    Now you can comment on the go. Posts from the campaign trail are very welcome!

Twitter hashtag for the elections is #voteUL

Hustings:

Come see the candidates speak and offer their views in a public debate! Ask the candidates questions in a public setting! Don't let them wriggle away with just a printed manifesto, come and see whether they're actually worth voting for! Don't be shy about dropping in and out to the hustings when you can, it's up to the candidates to sell themselves and convince you they deserve your vote!

Wednesday March 23, starting at 7pm in KBG12 (that's on the ground floor of the Kemmy Business School, next to the Schuman building)

To vote, click here. Voting will be open between 7am and 8pm on Thursday March 24.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭lorcanthrope

The classic Skynet vs. An Focal battle takes place for a third time in three years :) That's gonna be a fascinating one to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Skyrim

Would Derek Daly have an advantage considering he's the current vp? He may be better to handle pressure situations.

There's a chance that I may end up helping a person or two out with their campaign this week. If that happens, I'll clearly signal it on this thread for the sake of openness (and following the rules). Peteee as co-mod has access to any mod actions taken by mods that aren't him, and apart from rampant abuse or people acting the weirdo, this thread should need next to zero moderation if people have any cop-on.
    The classic Skynet vs. An Focal battle takes place for a third time in three years :) That's gonna be a fascinating one to watch.
    Indeed. I'd rather hope that both candidates would have a balance of print and electronic/non-print comms in their manifestos and intentions though - it's 2011 and lots of people get their news from both (or just one) at this point. Almost-instant news is great, the analysis takes longer.
    Skyrim wrote: »
    Would Derek Daly have an advantage considering he's the current vp? He may be better to handle pressure situations.
    Derek Daly will certainly have an electoral advantage with the name recognition that comes from already being in an SU role. Keith Young is well-known in club and society circles though. Enda Gallery I have to confess I've never heard of.

Will they be holding rallies on the campus? :L

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭canned_ulkc

Unlikely I'll be campaigning for anyone but I know I'll be voting for Thomas Cranley & Keith O'Neill in their respective areas.
    For Tom, he's a fellow Donegal man and teacher - From the few conversations I've had with him I've found him refreshingly honest and has what I view as an appropriate demeanour for the position.
    For Keith, if you know Keith and the level of commitment he has shown throughout the years then I think you'll recognise that you could see him as thoroughly professional and capable in any role.

I don't think I'm ever going to say who I'll be voting for as president; I know all 3 candidates and all have different reasons to be seen as capable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭freyners

looking forward to this one.....surprised rockett is going for CSO, thought he might go for another shot at pres.

oh and i'll be campaigning for Thomas Cranley during the week so i better declare that from the off.

besides the obvious, im not sure who ill vote for in the other positions, looking forward to seeing the manifestos, when and where are the hustings on this years does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭freyners

Will they be holding rallies on the campus? :L
    if rockett's campaign is similar to last years presidential one then your in for an experience:D

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Just to inject some fun

The ULSU site was down a few minutes ago... it appears to be back now, but is running really slowly. It looks like a database issue.

Electronic voting on Thursday!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 NewShoes

Polar Ice wrote: »
    Just to inject some fun

The ULSU site was down a few minutes ago... it appears to be back now, but is running really slowly. It looks like a database issue.

still down for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

Hi folks,
    My name is Barry Kennedy and I'll be running for Education Officer. I'll post the manifesto later (will have to get it approved by the ERB first). Best of luck to the other candidates, should be a fun week

Regards
    Barry

PS nice way to use my 200th post

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

We have a strong line up for elections this year.

I have no doubt that we will have a fun week and look forward to meeting a lot of students and a bit of banter with all of the campaigners and candidates. On Thursday a new team will be elected, I hope to lead it and I want to re-iterate the words of the Deputy Returning Officer and say that I hope we have a clean campaign.

I'll be doing some answering here, as much as I can and if anyone has any queries, questions or wants to get involved; feel free to post here or send me a PM.

I'm facing formidable opposition and I want to wish both Keith and Enda the best for the week, notwithstanding that I still want to win.

I'll be outlining why I want to win over the course of the weekend and during the week.

D

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Nagoh

Best of luck folks, should be an interesting week

Polar Ice wrote: »
    Just to inject some fun

As far as I know, the evoting system is a package from an outside company (hopefully not the same company that designed the system they used last week in Aberystwyth for their guild elections, which allowed people to vote multiple times if they'd opened multiple windows before logging in). Assuming that to be the case, I'd assume (and hope) that the actual software is running on a secure server elsewhere. If it isn't, Thursday could be rather amusing. I presume that there will be (or has been) some info released by the SU on the system itself or the company itself as evoting comes with its own pitfalls, doubters and disadvantages.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 NewShoes

sceptre wrote: »
    As far as I know, the evoting system is a package from an outside company (hopefully not the same company that designed the system they used last week in Aberystwyth for their guild elections, which allowed people to vote multiple times if they'd opened multiple windows before logging in). Assuming that to be the case, I'd assume (and hope) that the actual software is running on a secure server elsewhere. If it isn't, Thursday could be rather amusing. I presume that there will be (or has been) some info released by the SU on the system itself or the company itself as evoting comes with its own pitfalls, doubters and disadvantages.

If it isn't, you just told us all how to vote multiple times! ;)

NewShoes wrote: »
    If it isn't, you just told us all how to vote multiple times! ;)
    Ah, I find that my tendency towards troublemaking is best kept in check by being given a solid workout at the start of events...:) Aside, I see from facebook that the first efforts at online manifestos are coming through - candidates who want them included in the opening post of this thread need to send me a PM (as it's up to you which page is your official one, I'm not going to include them merely because I see them).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

sceptre wrote: »

There have been a number of tests run on the system, it's hosted securely outside of the Union. Roisín has been working with the University and the web voting company.

• Advertisement

Will the candidates just be publishing their manifestos or are they going to hold meetings or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Catch15

Unlikely I'll be campaigning for anyone but I know I'll be voting for Thomas Cranley & Keith O'Neill in their respective areas.
    For Tom, he's a fellow Donegal man and teacher - From the few conversations I've had with him I've found him refreshingly honest and has what I view as an appropriate demeanour for the position.
    For Keith, if you know Keith and the level of commitment he has shown throughout the years then I think you'll recognise that you could see him as thoroughly professional and capable in any role.

I don't think I'm ever going to say who I'll be voting for as president; I know all 3 candidates and all have different reasons to be seen as capable.

Thanks Tony, appreciate it!

Just to clarify in this thread, my name is Thomas Cranley and I'm running for Welfare Officer. Best of luck to all candidates and campaigners, surely have a chat during the week!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Why was the other thread on this locked? Could the rules etc not just have been edited in into the opening post?

My advice to the candidates would be not to worry about your plans and policies etc. The candidates with the shiniest and funniest Ad campaign and the most amount of canvassers will win.

Ive a story to back this up actually. One year a person I know from another university got an idea on the spur of the moment to run for SU president, about a week before the election. He had no strong political beliefs or background, and was basically only running "for the craic".

Anyway, a few posters were made and a few of us friends were sent out to canvas around the college the 2 days around the election. The said candidate got completely slaughtered in the debate. Yet this didn't seem to matter. The vast majority of people around the college only asked us question such as "What'll be the story with rag week" to which we'd respond "rag week??, rag month you mean if he gets elected!" or that he had Snow Patrol lined up. The very odd person (1 in 10) would ask a question about policies etc, which were either laughed off or responded to with BS.

The candidate ended up finishing second out of 6, with many people voting for "your man, sure he seems like a bit of craic". The consensus was that with more posters etc (he had very few in comparison to the winner), and a few more canvassers, he might have won. Take from that what you will

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

I presume most candidates will publish their manifestos either here or on facebook. There will be stands set up in Red Raisins and there'll be Hustings in the Johnathon Swift on Wednesday at 6pm.

Several people have already sent me private messages asking me questions about my policies, I will try to get back to you before the weekend is over and give your question the time they deserve rather than a quick reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I don't know him too well, but I've always thought Thomas Cranley had a great sense of kindness to him. Something you don't see too often in people these days and he's most definately getting my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

bazkennedy wrote: »
    and there'll be Hustings in the Johnathon Swift on Wednesday at 6pm.
    Excuse me?!? Is this confirmed? Wednesday the 23rd?
    If so, who's organising it? Who booked the room?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

A chairde, just to confirm that I am Keith Young and am running for ULSU President. A few people have also messaged me regarding my stance on some issues and I'll be getting back to you as soon as possible.

I'm looking forward to the week, should definitely be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 msbeesmart

Hi All, I'm Aoife Kenny and I'm running for the position of Education Officer in the upcoming elections. "Bee" smart and use your vote wisely!!

If anyone has an issues please feel free to contact me through my weblink above!! :):)

Looking forward to a busy week!

Aoife

What happens during the week? just ye lads going around talking about your manifestos etc?

• Advertisement

What happens during the week? just ye lads going around talking about your manifestos etc?

if it is anything like last year the stig will be there, paddy pocket will be rapping gold digger standing on the divider of the red raisins, people will be jumping out of planes to promote their campaigns, people will be rolling down the hill beside the library in a massive inflatable ball, free sweets, bitching, lectures distrupted... in the end there will be tears of joy and tears of agony... everyone will pick themselves up as the votes come in, shake hands and head to the stables then to the lodge to celebrate/drown their sorrows....

well some things definately wont be the same as last year :( but it should be great crack and very exciting

Advertisement