Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

All ye oul wans and oul fellas out there! Wakey wakey, rise and shine!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Well done to BrensBenz and the good lady, especially as you have survived so long without delving (or being delved by) the great mystery of the Blakey.

$T2eC16N,!y0FI,yBI0fSBSSKOuuJyg~~60_35.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

blakeytvtimes.jpg

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

BBDBB wrote: »
    Its a bit late for that, I doubt they'd take her back after all this time ;)
    Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    H'appy H'anniversary Mr & Mrs Brens! Will Mrs Brens be donning the steel-cap boots for the candlelight supper then?
    Rubecula wrote: »
    Well done to BrensBenz and the good lady, especially as you have survived so long without delving (or being delved by) the great mystery of the Blakey.
    OldGoat wrote: »
    blakeytvtimes.jpg

Oooh, Oi 'ite yoo Battlah!

Yizzar all very smart, so yizzar! Turty chree years? Dem Great Train Robbers only got turty years!

Maybe lunch in the Centre of the Known Universe (Skerries) and a stroll along the seafront.........in colour co-ordinated waders. Or a picnic (in the car) in Ardgillan, gazing down at the Centre of the Known Universe.....in hiking boots. Or posh nosh in Malahide.......in the good shoes we keep for funerals.

The mystery of why my vast knowledge of all things did not include Blakeys has been solved - thanks, Rubecula:
    Blakeys on teak or varnished mahogany decks of a boat would generate a negative and violent reaction from the rest of the population so they must have been deleted from my curriculum, just as the men in black maxi dresses deleted all reference to.........that three letter word, starting with "S".

I can remember rope-soled shoes being required on boats. And you weren't allowed to wear them on roads or footpaths in case they might pick up pebbles or grit that would scratch the boat's varnish. New rope-soled shoes lasted about a fortnight until they unravelled. You could trim the stray cords with your sailor's knife, with the special thing for taking stones out of horses' hooves, or you could accept the trip hazard by leaving them au naturel. TCP was great for the resulting wounds and it was a wonderful aphrodisiac with the young wans.

But I digress. Anniversary lunch. Clean socks (don't know why); special new hat for baldy people; "dicky dicky dowt, shirt hanging out" (cool, hip and trendy). If you happen to be in NCD today and see someone matching this description, in the company of a long, sleek missus, say hello and I'll buy you a Cidona.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

As I listen to your accent Brens, I can't but wonder how on earth posh people from Skerries have even heard of 'dicky dicky dowt with your shirt hanging out' which is the way us real Dubs remember it! :p

I knew I liked you for some reason Jelly. Ye are a Dub xx

• Advertisement

Have you Dub blood too Rube?

Grandad was known as Dub. He was from Aungier street area. (I was there a couple of years ago to trace the family. All Dubs from way way back in 1600's. Mind you I was born in Liverpool myself.

Everyone knows Liverpool is just another suburb of Dublin! :D

Alice needs a virtual HUG from the denizens of O&O. She's fine and will be posting with us soon enough but for now she just needs a cuddle from some friends.

Alice, sending lots of hugs to you OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

• Advertisement

Alice I am sending you a special Rubey Hug. ((((HUG))))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Hugs to you Alice. We are all here for you whenever you need us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

(((((Hugs))))) as there is a full moon today I think we should all do a moondance in honour of Alice...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,048 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Hope all the hugs help Alice, one from me too, see you soon :)

'Scuse me, 'scuse me. Hey, any chance of getting through this huddle and giving Alice a cuddle myself? Ahhhh, that's better, thanks. Sunny side up, Alice!

Well, a member of the local agricultural Mujahideen decided to go for a jant in his tractor, with the digger shoval at full height, and remove all of the phone and internet cables on my lane. As he drove away, the sound of "twang", "theeeoooo", "doink", etc, were followed by exclamations of puzzlement, then frustration from the residents. There were a lot of fecques.....and other words!

The ever-helpful, emergency Eircom crew arrived a few days later, had a tea-break or two in their van and then tied a knot in the cable, so we have communication again!

It must have been fierce traumarric for yiz, being isolated / marooned / stranded from me for days but, while the reef knot holds, full access to my wisdom and modesty has been restored.

Jellybaby, regarding "Dicky Dicky Dout" and his wayward shirt-tails, I can confirm that this opus was composed by the well-known Skerries bard, Soapy Mulligan, while viewing the Mountains of Mourne from the north beach in Skerries. At his side was a full bottle, and several empty bottles of a well known beverage and Percy French, who was writing something about the Mountains of Mourne sweeping down to the sea. We later kindly exported the tale of Dicky Dicky Dout to other locations, whenever they had the necessary level of sophistication to appreciate it.

Other operas from Maestro Mulligan which were also exported later include:
    "Queenie-I-O, Queenie-I-O, who has the ball?" and
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, we call "so-and-so" over."

Such is the extent and wealth of cultural and technical exports from Skerries that we often forget many of them. For instance, wasn't it nice of us to build a railway from Skerries to Dublin and Belfast so that those two towns could more conveniently experience the joys of sitting on the Monument with a 99 from Bob's Amusements? Later, we built a road to allow even more convenient access to our treasures. We even agreed to adopt Irish postage stamps and currency to avoid confusing visitors.

See? Skerries! A grand bunch of lads. Not like dem Latvian farmers in Rush, driving around in Massive Fergusons, breaking phone lines.

No way was Dicky Dicky writ by any such Skerries bard. 'Twas writ by Johnny Forty-Coats who lived around the corner from us. He was famous in these waters for the turty coats he used to wear at the same time. He was a little fella but looked hooge in those turty coats. We all knew him as Turty-Coats but one day he was kidnapped by a gang from Skerries who mis-named Forty-Coats 'cos they couldn't count proper! We have never forgiven the Skerries peepil for being so illigerant and taking our Turty-Coats away from us. :mad:

No way was Dicky Dicky writ by any such Skerries bard. 'Twas writ by Johnny Forty-Coats who lived around the corner from us. He was famous in these waters for the turty coats he used to wear at the same time. He was a little fella but looked hooge in those turty coats. We all knew him as Turty-Coats but one day he was kidnapped by a gang from Skerries who mis-named Forty-Coats 'cos they couldn't count proper! We have never forgiven the Skerries peepil for being so illigerant and taking our Turty-Coats away from us. :mad:

Gawd, isn't it amazingly surreal how the facts get distorted with age? Just for the record, any time Turty Coats came to Skerries, of his own free will, he wore turty chree coats, the same number as the Skerries bus, which is where all counting finishes, such was his admiration for Skerries. And, with turty chree coats on, he wouldn't be an expert on shirt tails, like Soapy Mulligan.

Now, I know this news is distressing for you so I grew some pears especially for you. I was going to attach a photo of them - see rant post later - but, after wasting an hour trying to attach a photo, I've given up.

Anyway, the pears on my little pear tree. You might not like the pears - we call them "weapons of dental destruction". Nobody is brave enough to fecque these pears. Only woodpeckers can break into them. I use them as anvils but we had a great crop this year, millions of the little buggers on a tree (the "arsenal") that's only five feet tall. But they might console you and help you get over the real story of Dicky Dicky Dout.

I was going to attach a photo to an earlier post but, after an hour or so trying and failing to do so, I gave up. I have actually managed to attach photos in the past but that tedious and entirely haphazard method doesn't work now.

I don't know anybody with the patience to attach a photo to boards or can do it first time, every time. So many unintuitive steps; third party software required; jargon; stupid icons; failures; crashes; click this; click that; close this; open that; click this; right click that; close that; find another bewildering icon; start over again with that icon, etc., etc. WHY IS IT SO COMPLICATED AND PRONE TO FAILURE when other sites make it so easy????????, i.e. click "select"; click "attach". DONE!

Yes, I've whined about this before and got all sorts of well-meaning advice - ALL DIFFERENT, ALL FAILED!!! - which tells me that there is no ONE way to attach a photo to boards but that people have discovered (probably by accident because boards "help" is impenetrably unhelpful) "A" way to do it.

So, come on boards. Don't give me yet another labyrinthine method that works only on your machine - fix it!

Tizzy fit over - calm down, Brendawnahawn. You might get banned. And the photo wasn't all that great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

insertimage.gif in the reply box will let you link to a picture stored on another site, e.g. imgur - http://imgur.com/

or upload the image directly to boards with attach.gif in the Advanced reply box

The first option will show the image in the thread, the second will make a link that opens a new tab for the image

stupid-computer.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Well, I'm officially unemployed..again :(

Day 1: Made enough soup to half fill the freezer.
    13:55. What'll I do now?

Chucken wrote: »

Aw flip! I feel your pain Chuckie. Bin there, bought the t-shirt, etc., etc.

Chucken wrote: »

Aww hon I hope things go well for you. XXXXX

Perhaps you could stock up on more soup. You can never have too much soup can you ;)

Here's an idea Chuckie, why not go into the soup business! You are obviously an expert!

Here's an idea Chuckie, why not go into the soup business! You are obviously an expert!

Good idea! Lots of sandwich shops around but few have proper soup. What's a sambo without sloup?

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    insertimage.gif in the reply box will let you link to a picture stored on another site, e.g. imgur - http://imgur.com/

or upload the image directly to boards with attach.gif in the Advanced reply box

The first option will show the image in the thread, the second will make a link that opens a new tab for the image

Thanks for that, Bonzo, but THAT'S the route that used to work and now doesn't!
    OldGoat wrote: »
    stupid-computer.jpg

Exactly, OG! Exactly! The world is in dire need of my photos but boards software and "help" (HELP!?!?!? Have you read it???) are conspiring to deny exposure of my masterpieces to the masses.

Emm, how did YOU get that shot onto boards? Can you list the steps, without jargon?

BrensBenz wrote: »
    Emm, how did YOU get that shot onto boards? Can you list the steps, without jargon?
    First is the location of your photos. They need to be already on the interwebz. You can set up a free hosting location with various places such as PIX.IE or Flickr.com
    You have to upload your photos to the hosting site.
    Then the hosting site will give you a bit of code representing your photo that you have to paste into the Boards.ie textbox.

If you click on any of my photographs in the "Show me yours" (Linky) photo thread you'll be taken to my Flickr site where I upload my photos and I then use the code provided by Flickr to paste into Boards.

If you want to a photograph link from another website (rather than your own) as I did above you can RIGHT CLICK on the image and COPY URL. Then as Bonzo says above, click the little INSERT IMAGE icon (the one that looks like a postcard) on the Boards textbox and paste the copied URL into the dialogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Greetings my fellow O&Os from a sunny Andalucia.

Sipping a nice Rioja, watching the sun starting to set behind the mountains.

Sorry about your unwanted free time Chucken, fingers crossed you get sorted soon.

If Matron's looking for me, somebody make up an excuse:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,048 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Layinghen...we could hate you. But we will just (seeth) hope you have a nice evening :D *Goes back to getting boring dinner ready*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Layinghen wrote: »
    Greetings my fellow O&Os from a sunny Andalucia.

Sipping a nice Rioja, watching the sun starting to set behind the mountains.

Sorry about your unwanted free time Chucken, fingers crossed you get sorted soon.

If Matron's looking for me, somebody make up an excuse:cool:

Do you even unpack your case these days? :eek:
    looksee wrote: »
    Layinghen...we could hate you. But we will just (seeth) hope you have a nice evening :D *Goes back to getting boring dinner ready*

Don't worry. When I win the Euromillions I'm taking us all to Tramore for a week. Now, won't that be nice :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement