Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Getting the times down.

• 23-09-2010 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭

Thought I may as well start a log here to stop me slacking off! I hope to go sub 40 for 10k, sub 1.30 for HM in the next 6 months or so. That's over a minute off both my current PBs.

Mon - 7.25 at 7:20
    Tues - 4 at 7:20
    Wed - rest
    Thur - 1 mile warmup then 10x 800m at 3:05

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Fri - 12 at 7:35. Great running weather.

Wanted to get something resembling a long run in this week. I won't be doing one on Sunday because of the Rathfarnam race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

what's your usual easy run pace?

For a long run I usually go about 8 min/mile. Maybe a bit below that.

Easy 3 today at 7.25. Threw in a few strides. I love this time of year: cool, dry and breezy. It's a pleasure to run in this weather.

Great race in Rathfarnam this morning. It is one fast course. Sub 19 for me, which is a PB.
    Did 4 at 7:50 pace as a warm down.

Lovely rest day yesterday. I did feel like doing a few miles, but lower back has been a bit sore so I left it.

Today was a 2.25 mile warm up at 7.53 then 6x 1 mile. First 4 at 6:25, then 1 at 6:15, then one at 5:55.
    2.25 miles cool down at very easy pace (8:20).

The guy I was running with ran a sub 3 marathon on Sunday and even still this was a breeze for him!

• Advertisement

6 miles at 7:28 pace this morning. Felt like I was running in treacle. From .5 of a mile out, I was dying to turn back :D It was supposed to be sub 7:20 pace, but I just couldn't manage it.

More speedwork planned for tomorrow.

Another nice night for a run. 3.25 mile warm up at 7:45 followed by 6x 1 mile at 6:15. 1:20 recovery.

2 mile cool down at 8:30. Day off work (and running) tomorrow, so a few drinks are on the cards for tonight :D

5 miles at 7:20 today. I lost 10 seconds going up the hill on Foster Avenue, but made them up on the way back.

Definitely have to get a few hill repeats going at some stage.

15 miles at 7:55 min/mile. It works out at barely under 2 hours. I didn't wake up until mile 8, but after that it was easy enough.

10 800s today. I went out with the best of intentions at 3:00 but by the end it was closer to 3:05.

Just under 10 miles for the day. Half-thinking of doing the Waterford Half ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Are you doing the Dublin marathon Paddy? What training plan are you working off? You should take a look at daniels if you havent already.

Howya Eoin - I'm not doing it this year. Are you?

I reckoned it would make more sense to get my other times down a bit first. Also, I plain just haven't done the miles. Only getting into 40mpw for the last few weeks. It was around the 30mpw mark before that.

I have the Daniels book. Some great stuff in there but a lot to digest. No plan as such at the mo for me. I'm just getting used to intervals and trying to get in decent mileage. Comments/criticism welcome :D

Really enjoying things down at the club - cheers man.

6 miles yesterday. The first and last one were at 7:35. Middle 4 at 7:00. Brilliant weather again.

More intervals last night. 3 miles warmup, then 7x 800 at 3:10. We did a 2 mile at 12:15 to finish off. Around 10 miles in total for the night.

Having a rest day today, but I'll get a few in tomorrow which should see me at ~45 miles for the week.

Sat - 5 miles at 7:30
    Sun - 16.75 miles at 8:00

Beautiful night. 3 mile warmup then 5 miles w/ fartlek. About a mile to cool down. My garmin's battery was dead, so I'm not sure about the pace. The fast bits felt like my 5k pace (~6:00/mile).

Nikes bit the dust this evening (upper tore away from the sole) and they have stopped making that particular model :mad:

I'm in 2 minds about training tonight. Took yesterday off because I've been feeling under the weather with a bit of a sore throat and a dry cough. I'm no better today but I'd say I'd manage the session ok. It might do me good.

So I didn't do that session after. I was late leaving work. Ended up with a chest infection, so today is my first day back.

6 miles at 7:45. I expected it to be tough after over a week off and it was. New shoes in the mix too. I'm not liking these new ones. Hamstrings are really tight. I'm still not 100% but I will get back slowly and hopefully next week will be a full running week.

4 at 7:00 pace during lunch break. Feeling a bit better. I'll chance 5 or 6 tomorrow and start the week with a patented SLSSR (semi-long, super-slow run) on Sunday :D

Sat - 5 miles at 7:20
    Sun - 13.1 at 7:50

Nice run today even though I wasn't looking forward to it.

Hope this weather holds up for everyone tomorrow. Best of luck - hope ye all run out of your skins.

• Advertisement

Tues - 5 @ 7:10
    Thurs - 7 @ 7:11
    Fri - 6 @ 7:10

Should hit 35 for the week and hoping to get back to some speedwork for next week.

4.25 miles. First 2 at 6:35, last 2 at 7:00. Didn't get to warm up as I had to be back to work so time was tight. I'm going to target a race soon and get stuck into a plan.

16 @ 7:53. It's wild weather out there! Enjoyed this run (after the first 5 windy, uphill miles). A nice tailwind gave me a 7:18 mile 14.

Signed up for the Kildare marathon. It's on next May. I did a 10k organised by these guys and it was brilliant. Hopefully I will hit 39:59 (10k) and 1:29:59 (half marathon) before this race. I have 6 months, so there is no excuse...

'cept maybe bad weather, laziness, work, the girlfriend, the pub... ;)

3 miles warm up 8mm, 7x 800 at 3:10, 2 miles warm down. Rough weather again.

Saw in interesting run in jfh's Waterford Half log and said I would give it a blast. I only had time for 6 miles so the plan was 8:00, 7:30, 7:00, 6:30, 7:00, 8:00.
    It worked out at 7:38, 7:30, 7:03, 6:34, 6:57, 7:47.

Generally, I think I run my slow miles too fast and my fast miles too slow. Gonna keep an eye on that.

Last night: 3 mile warm up, 8x 800s at 3:10, 2 mile warm down.
    This morning : Handy 4.25 at 7:35. Lovely day.

Great run this evening. 8.5 miles at 7:45 average pace. There were 2 miles directly into the wind - along the Firhouse Road. It felt like tempo effort, even though it was a minute off tempo pace.

I was training with a really good runner from the club - no way I would have done it by myself!

2 at 8:00, 3 tempo (6:42, 6:58, 6:40), 2 at 7:25.

I had to stop for traffic in all of those tempo miles, which was a real pain. The 2nd one was uphill most of the way. I have a different route planned for my next tempo. Hoping for closer to 6:30 pace.

5 at 7:00 and 1 cooldown (7:50). Weather has taken a turn for the better. LSR tomorrow morning if I can drag my ass out of bed.

• Advertisement

12.25 miles at 8:00.

This was a real battle. Barely enjoyed any of it, even though the weather was great. No zip in the legs at all and a persistent stiffness in my right hip. I might have to get this looked at. It's like a tendon or something is rubbing along the outside bone of my hip. I would have gone to 13 or 14 if it had gone away.

On the upside, no traffic except for a bullock and a flock of sheep! And I saw a dipper in the river.

Advertisement