Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are the Private Sector simply Jealous of the Public Sector?

• 10-02-2010 4:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

Now before I start, i will lay my cards on the table. I am an electrician working in Aughanish in Limerick.
    Private Sector.

So, my question is this. Are private sector workers simply jealous of public sector workers and this is the main fuel that is keeping the current civil war amongst workers going?

Some people on here seem to think Public Sector workers should almost apologise for having a Government Job! Why? Because they themselves dont have one perhaps?

If many of you had a PS job, your view would be 100% different to your current one, no matter how much you might say otherwise. Its all about agendas.

5 years ago male clerical officers in their 30's in Local Authorities were sneered at, making their 30k ...

Now...they are hated. Just because they were not sacked!

So I ask again, is the real root of the antagonistic anti-ps hatred we see here, that private sector workers are jealous of Public Sector workers and thus are bitter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

5 years ago male clerical officers in their 30's in Local Authorities were sneered at, making their 30k ...
    Maybe by you, but certainly not by me or most people I know. 30k was still a decent salary in 2005.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭gent9662

Cards on the table...I am a private sector worker.

My view is the following...

I have not yet heard of a public sector worker who is satisfied with their job, security, wages and pension. These things are more appreciated by the average private sector worker. I believe that private sector workers are so frustrated by the constant moaning, striking and general attitude often displayed by the public sector.

If I was in the public sector I after coming from the private sector I think I would truly appreciate the security and pension that it offers more so than the ones that fall into jobs straight from college and school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭PeteSanchez

murphaph wrote: »
    Maybe by you, but certainly not by me or most people I know. 30k was still a decent salary in 2005.

OK murph, say two years ago so. Same scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

Public sector workers don't seem to realise however, that it is the private sector that pay their wages, and the weaker the private sector is, then the weaker the public sector will become. Public sector is not (and should not be) something that makes profit, so this will always be the case.

I find it hilarious when public sector workers mention "paying taxes".

dclane wrote: »
    Cards on the table...I am a private sector worker.

My view is the following...

I have not yet heard of a public sector worker who is satisfied with their job, security, wages and pension. These things are more appreciated by the average private sector worker. I believe that private sector workers are so frustrated by the constant moaning, striking and general attitude often displayed by the public sector.

If I was in the public sector I after coming from the private sector I think I would truly appreciate the security and pension that it offers more so than the ones that fall into jobs straight from college and school.

I think to say anyone "fell into a job" in the PS is borderline ridiculous. When civil service exams came up in Limerick about 3 years ago I sat the exam in the Marriot with about 300 others. There were 4 vacancies. I dont think that constitutes falling into a job Declan. Its one of the hardest work forces to get into. Always was for 99% of people.

• Advertisement

Saadyst wrote: »
    Public sector workers don't seem to realise however, that it is the private sector that pay their wages, and the weaker the private sector is, then the weaker the public sector will become. Public sector is not (and should not be) something that makes profit, so this will always be the case.

I find it hilarious when public sector workers mention "paying taxes".

Does that justify the borderline hatred harvested here by many for all public servants though Saadyst? I am a private sector worker and I just dont get all this hatred :confused:

OK murph, say two years ago so. Same scenario.
    Pete I just never heard of this taking the piss out of public sector workers on 30k during the boom? Perhaps it went on on building sites (perhaps you worked on them??) but not where I worked. People generally hadn't a clue how much or how little the PS worker was making and fewer people cared. They care now because the country is flat broke and that's really all there is to the debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭FLievre

There is too many types of private sector jobs.
    Some are worthy and effectively they need help some are absolutely useless and these are the ones complaining the most.
    Pay cuts?
    Mother had them...
    Unemployed had them...
    Everyone had them...
    So they should of course have them too and get a life...:mad:

I think to say anyone "fell into a job" in the PS is borderline ridiculous. When civil service exams came up in Limerick about 3 years ago I sat the exam in the Marriot with about 300 others. There were 4 vacancies. I dont think that constitutes falling into a job Declan. Its one of the hardest work forces to get into. Always was for 99% of people.
    This doesn't really square with your claim that the average public sector waorker was sneered at for earning a low salary Pete :confused: Why would there be a 80 fold oversubscription for jobs in that case!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 gamblor1975

Now before I start, i will lay my cards on the table. I am an electrician working in Aughanish in Limerick.
    Private Sector.

So, my question is this. Are private sector workers simply jealous of public sector workers and this is the main fuel that is keeping the current civil war amongst workers going?

Some people on here seem to think Public Sector workers should almost apologise for having a Government Job! Why? Because they themselves dont have one perhaps?

If you many of you had a PS job, your view would be 100% different to your current one, no matter how much you might say otherwise. Its all about agendas.

Now...they are hated. Just because they were not sacked!

So I ask again, is the real root of the antagonistic anti-ps hatred we see here, that private sector workers are jealous of Public Sector workers and thus are bitter?

I don't believe that the majority of Private worker are jealous of their Public service counterparts. I think the problem is that we can all see what the problems are in the various depts. Not enough Garda on the streets, too many doing paperwork. Overpaid and underworked teachers (the senior ones mostly) and nurses refusing to answer phones during work to rule as if its some new form of technology that has been foisted on them.

I think the main problem that the private sector has with the public service is its inability to trim the dead weight. People have no incentive to work harder/better and in fact are frowned upon for working more than their peers. I think the introduction of a merit based system would solve a lot of problem in the PS. Those who work hard are rewarded and promoted leading to better managment. Those who are there to pass time and collect their money would be soon found out and warned to improve.

This is what we should demand from our public service. We should not have to bribe/cajole them into improving their depts. They should be coming to their bosses with ideas of how to improve this, save money on that, reduce waste here; This is how it works in the real world.

This merit system would solve so many problems in our PS and the majority or hardworking Public servants would have nothing to fear from it.

So No I don't think that people from the Private sector are jealous of those in the PS. I don't believe that the system they work under would be good for the country if it were adopted by the private sector. I do believe changes need to happen in how it is run though! I don't believe that is jealousy!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Yes,Generally I think they are and have been since the 80's.
    The job stability is something that the private sector can never offer.
    Then the other benefits like Pension,flexi time,bench markingshorter working week that not all private sector workers get.

I do think it is 2 way to an extent because there were private sector workers that got the nice bonuses and the big money during the boom shoving it in the face of the Public sector.

There is also the value for money aspect,we get terrible value for money out of our civil/public servants but that does not mean they all do no work and are paid too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

I'm a private sector worker. I don't harbour any hatred towards public sector workers - but I do think that union leaders and some shop stewards could do with a few pokes with a red hot needle. :eek:

FLievre wrote: »
    There is too many types of private sector jobs.
    Some are worthy and effectively they need help some are absolutely useless and these are the ones complaining the most.
    Pay cuts?
    Mother had them...
    Unemployed had them...
    Everyone had them...
    So they should of course have them too and get a life...:mad:

So in essence..

he had them, she had them, so they should have them too...
    This guy is a classic case in point ..................:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 USA

I'm not jealous of the public sector at all, the "hatred" stems from the PS unions absolutely bleeding the country dry with their over-inflated staff numbers, wages and pensions.

We as a country simply can't keep borrowing €20 billion a year to fund them.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

If many of you had a PS job, your view would be 100% different to your current one, no matter how much you might say otherwise. Its all about agendas.

I can't agree with this, many of the PS employed people I know are accepting pay cuts and realising the relatively good position there are in compared to their friends/family who may have had larger cuts or been laid off. I would think I would be of the same view...

It is significant amount (encouraged by the unions) who fail to see the big picture of the economic mess and are promising strikes and chaos - i think these people draw much of the ire on here

It's not jealousy, although i certainly envy anyone having a guaranteed job no matter how the economy fares, i would not choose to work in the PS as it wouldn't provide me with my career path.

If somebody in the PS thinks it is jealously, maybe they should ask themselves why people are jealous of them......the penny might drop then

its crap like this that made me start this thread.
    Lifted from the Barry Thread. Can we all see what absolute thrash this guy is talking???

AMIIAM
    blue_star_2.gif

Adverts | Friends

Thanks woodseb. These pampered public servants have got to awaken to reallity. They have been grossly overpaid for whatever work they claim to actually do. I do not consider drinking tea/coffee, intertwined with their smoke breaks as working!! I believe the more energetic ones press computer keys now and then to convince their also overpaid orerseers that they really are worth their salary. I sincerely hope Brian Lenihan sorts them out once and for all with his next budget

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

murphaph wrote: »
    Pete I just never heard of this taking the piss out of public sector workers on 30k during the boom? Perhaps it went on on building sites (perhaps you worked on them??) but not where I worked. People generally hadn't a clue how much or how little the PS worker was making and fewer people cared. They care now because the country is flat broke and that's really all there is to the debate.
    +1 I just don't buy this "we were ridiculed and laughed at during the boom", it simply isn't true. Pete I also did the EO exam once around 2005 as it happens and the numbers applying were massive, for only a handfull of vacancies. Similar with Gardai when they were recruiting.

I believe much of the hatred is jealousy tbh, that is human nature, if you lose a good job and are unemployed, or even put on short-time, and then hear your PS neighbour talking about strikes over relatively modest cuts to their often very good salary, of course you are gonna be jealous and frustrated. Many people are now regretting not applying for PS jobs in the good times, however like you say these jobs were not as freely available as some people make out, and there was always fierce competition from well qualified people for them. I doubt this dispute will end until we are back in full employment, and that ain't gonna be for quite some time. I know many PS and they are all good people, it is the ones that go on national media complaining that they can't live on 55k that infuriate people, as well as unions who spout utter nonsense on shows like Frontline etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Pocaide

I think the goverment spin doctors have been feeding all sorts of stories some true some not to pit public sector workers against private sector workers, divide and conquer to get some of their measures through

USA wrote: »
    I'm not jealous of the public sector at all, the "hatred" stems from the PS unions absolutely bleeding the country dry with their over-inflated staff numbers, wages and pensions.

We as a country simply can't keep borrowing €20 billion a year to fund them.

I see your point USA and broadly agree, however is that a reason to have a go (not you) at individuals on here who are cheeky enough to work for the evil PS and practically make them feel like they should apologise for having their jobs at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Pete I don't harbour hatred towards anyone unless they have done me serious personal harm.

I am extremely frustrated as a private sector worker at the inability of some members of the PS and the unions to realise that if the money isn't there then there has to be changes. When you have a system that is based on a Victorian model then you can see where issues arise. The problem is not with the individual PS workers but with the whole structures and way that they transact their services to the citizens of the state.

Its as if the PS has forgotten that they are there to service the needs of the citizens of the state and not the citizens of the state are there to serve them. Changes need to be made and the longer these changes are defered then the more painful it is going to be.

Hatred is not the key word here, reality is and the sooner the PS and their unions grasp it then the better for the country.

• Advertisement

MickeyK great points. Remember the girl making 55k on prime time that night saying how she was on the bread line :D I cringed !

But its not her I would defend, its the lads/ladies on the 25-35k wages

I just cant see any justification for some of the venom spewed on here at them as individuals just for having the audacity to be a PS worker.
    Anyone on 55k, i could care less to be honest.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Well I'm not sure about 100% - there's plenty of PS/CS workers here who want to reduce the cost of the public sector. It's the manner in which this is done, and the scale of it, that varies. Very few would agree that it's not an issue.
    Did they? I wouldn't have. Perhaps those in high-earning sectors, but that was (and still very much is) a perfectly decent salary for the work and conditions of a clerical officer.
    Hatred is too strong a word. What annoys people is the way that many of the most vocal members of the PS/CS are going on about the injustice of a pay cut and why they're being singled out (regardless of the fact there's pay cuts, work pattern changes, etc. in many areas). It's more grating for some when those same people would refuse to acknowledge the benefits or recognise increments not being pay increases, etc.

The real nub of it is of course that by resisting these cuts, the private sector will pay more in some way or another. So any private sector whose had a cut and now needs to take another (because the PS/CS are resisting) would feel that the PS/CS wants everyone to share their pain but not take the burden of that private sector worker's pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

its crap like this that made me start this thread.
    Lifted from the Barry Thread. Can we all see what absolute thrash this guy is talking???

AMIIAM
    blue_star_2.gif

Adverts | Friends

Thanks woodseb. These pampered public servants have got to awaken to reallity. They have been grossly overpaid for whatever work they claim to actually do. I do not consider drinking tea/coffee, intertwined with their smoke breaks as working!! I believe the more energetic ones press computer keys now and then to convince their also overpaid orerseers that they really are worth their salary. I sincerely hope Brian Lenihan sorts them out once and for all with his next budget

i agree - that's crap and i distanced myself from that comment in the thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Troll thread tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BrownianMotion

I'd agree with MickeyK, it's those individuals who aren't in a vunerable position and yet complain publicly who generate the animosity.

It appears our media has decided to highlight the plight of certain cases where the completely blinkered individual in question is more inconvenienced by a cut rather than financially hurt. This only causes to increase the divide.

So I'd say it's a mixture of jealously/justified outrage at a very small percentage of public sector workers.

As an aside, I think it is interesting how you mention that even approaching the peak of the boom there were 300 applicants for 4 public sector jobs. Consider how many applicants there would be now for such a position.

As the name suggests, there is a job 'market'. So when supply rises, wages fall. Hard to argue with that at the end of the day.

I'd agree with MickeyK, it's those individuals who aren't in a vunerable position and yet complain publicly who generate the animosity.

It appears our media has decided to highlight the plight of certain cases where the completely blinkered individual in question is more inconvenienced by a cut rather than financially hurt. This only causes to increase the divide.

So I'd say it's a mixture of jealously/justified outrage at a very small percentage of public sector workers.

As an aside, I think it is interesting how you mention that even approaching the peak of the boom there were 300 applicants for 4 public sector jobs. Consider how many applicants there would be now for such a position.

As the name suggests, there is a job 'market'. So when supply rises, wages fall. Hard to argue with that at the end of the day.

I take your point Brown, but can you see how silly an earlier posters (declan i think) comment that people "fell into PS" jobs was also ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

Firstly the private sector is not a single entity,some private workers/recently unemployed may be jealous, other just want fairness. Fairness you say , YES, what is fair and equitable about a well pensioned, job for life sector earning significantly more than the private sector that pays for them? (Public workers get more than private even before the pension and job security are factored in. Source;CSO)
    The facts are that the Irish public sector is among the best paid in world but Ireland is becoming a poor economyu again. Look at this article from David mc Williams, and it shows in 2004 our public sector was already best paid in Europe. http://www.davidmcwilliams.ie/2008/12/07/harsh-lessons-of-economic-history
    Many private sector workers just want to see their taxes spent in an efficient and effective manner. Public sector expenditure (including pay) has doubled in a decade, yet vast majority of people would say public services have increased little or not at all.
    It is unfair for the public sector to expect to hold onto their bubble era salaries and conditions when the economy is rapidly contracting and national debt is rocketing so much. I would rather see them take a further 30% pay cut rather than cutting 30% of their workforce as less would be subect to unemployment. Maybe they would only have to take a further 15% pay cut if worst 15% of their workforce are allowed to be fired without the unions preventing it. Every organisation has fat in places and more so in public sector where unions protect poor workers from being sacked like in a private company.
    The public sector unions are annoying everyone as they havent put forward any viable solution that is fully costed and rapidly achievable.

Firstly the private sector is not a single entity,some private workers/recently unemployed may be jealous, other just want fairness. Fairness you say , YES, what is fair and equitable about a well pensioned, job for life sector earning significantly more than the private sector that pays for them? (Public workers get more than private even before the pension and job security are factored in. Source;CSO)
    The facts are that the Irish public sector is among the best paid in world but Ireland is becoming a poor economyu again. Look at this article from David mc Williams, and it shows in 2004 our public sector was already best paid in Europe. http://www.davidmcwilliams.ie/2008/12/07/harsh-lessons-of-economic-history
    Many private sector workers just want to see their taxes spent in an efficient and effective manner. Public sector expenditure (including pay) has doubled in a decade, yet vast majority of people would say public services have increased little or not at all.
    It is unfair for the public sector to expect to hold onto their bubble era salaries and conditions when the economy is rapidly contracting and national debt is rocketing so much. I would rather see them take a further 30% pay cut rather than cutting 30% of their workforce as less would be subect to unemployment. Maybe they would only have to take a further 15% pay cut if worst 15% of their workforce are allowed to be fired without the unions preventing it. Every organisation has fat in places and more so in public sector where unions protect poor workers from being sacked like in a private company.
    The public sector unions are annoying everyone as they havent put forward any viable solution that is fully costed and rapidly achievable.

:rolleyes: Lord save us from angry men with no genuine viable reasoning behind their frustration.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BrownianMotion

I take your point Brown, but can you see how silly an earlier posters (declan i think) comment that people "fell into PS" jobs was also ?

The earlier poster might have been referring to the wonderful practice we have in this country of skipping the tiresome interview stage if you had a connection or two in the right place.

So unless you were one of the plebs (majority), then chances are you did fall into a PS job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭conorhal

The public sector's belief that 'the private sector are just jealous' reminds me of the reaction I saw on Saturday night in a nightclub from a couple of 'wahs' to the bemused look on the face of some classy chick in a little black dress sipping a drink at the bar as she watched the two fat wheezers in boob tubes, wearing a pound of Mac makeup and wobbling drunkenly on the dance floor in a pair of Manolo's that looked as if a crow bar had been needed to apply them to their trotters, slapping every bloke that walked past her on the ass.
    "Ignore her Sharon, dat bitch is jus' jell-us" :rolleyes:

Advertisement