Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

County Council Water Connection

• 08-10-2009 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

we recently paid 12k to our local authority for our development contribution levy at the start of our build. As part of this we paid 2k as "a contribution towards expenditure that is proposed to be incurred by the Planning Authority in the provision, refurbishment, upgrading, enlargement or replacement of water treatment and mains network infrastructure by the Council". Fair enough the fee had to be paid.

However when I followed up on the water connection I was informed that the council were working on the quote. I reckoned there may have been a small fee to cover the cost but I received an invoice for €2900. I could not beleive it. Does this sound right to the rest of you who are building at the moment? The breakdown of the invoice was €2700 for labour and materials and €200 for adminisitration charges.

Our house is about 20 metres from the road if that has any major relevance.

Would really appreciate your feedback on this one guys? Is that figure off the wall? It seems that it is totally non-negotiable.

Cheers,
    Edge.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,542 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

That seems high to me. I would have thought €800 - €1,200 for a connection. I take the water mains pass the front of your site.

If I were you I would talk to other people with new houses on the same mains and compare notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

Hi Guys,

we recently paid 12k to our local authority for our development contribution levy at the start of our build. As part of this we paid 2k as "a contribution towards expenditure that is proposed to be incurred by the Planning Authority in the provision, refurbishment, upgrading, enlargement or replacement of water treatment and mains network infrastructure by the Council". Fair enough the fee had to be paid.

Edge, could you break down the 12K cost ? I'm looking to build and heard nothing of these "". Whats it for ? I can understand water connection and electric connection costs but nothing else.
    However when I followed up on the water connection I was informed that the council were working on the quote. I reckoned there may have been a small fee to cover the cost but I received an invoice for €2900. I could not beleive it. Does this sound right to the rest of you who are building at the moment? The breakdown of the invoice was €2700 for labour and materials and €200 for adminisitration charges.

Sink your own well if possible. It'll cost you about 5K or less and you wont be worrying about water costs in the future with the advantage that its pure and clean..

• Registered Users Posts: 45,797 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Edge, could you break down the 12K cost ? I'm looking to build and heard nothing of these "". Whats it for ? I can understand water connection and electric connection costs but nothing else.
    Its a development contribution scheme whereby people who build are expected to pay a contribution towards the costs and maintenance of public services. Every Council operate this scheme as it is part of the Planning & Development Regulations.

A quick trawl through your local councils web site should give you an indication of the charges applicable to the county in which you propose to build (the charges vary from one Council to the next) or alternatively drop in or phone your local planning department and they will fill you in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Water & sewerage works €2.4k
    Road Maintenance etc €6.3k
    Amenities/Recreational/Social/Community contribution €3.3k

Value for money!

Advertisement