Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Save Our Cancer Sevices rally

• 03-04-2009 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hello,

On Good Friday 10th Apr, There will be a march/rally from O'Connell Street to the Hospital in support of the retention of essential cancer services in Sligo.

These services are under risk of being moved to Galway - which will result in daily journeys of up to 100 miles for some of our town's most unwell people.

I implore all of you to come along and bring (or at least inform) everyone you know to show solidarity and strength against the blatant profit-over-people attitude of the neglectful HSE and a certain Ms Harney.

I'm almost sure everyone here has had a friend or relative that has gone through the nightmarish ordeal of facing one's mortality with this disease. It is crucial that these services remain here.

Please please, in some way support the cause even if it is adding your name to the mailing list on http://sligocentre.net/ or joining the cause on Facebook: http://apps.facebook.com/causes/103921

Thankyou

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Will hope everyone will be there. This is after all your cancer services being taken from the general hospital and don't wait until its too late to make a fuss. A strong message needs to be sent and hopefully it will be sent on good friday with a large attendance.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

in the context of a local forum
    imo few topics will ever match the importance
    of one such as this.....speaking as someone who is no longer
    from the immediate surroundings but who will be affected by
    this decision, its time for the citizens of this area to stand
    up and be counted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭rio-rose

i was at one of these rallys last year and been totally honest its such a rewarding experience just to stand their and say well i done my part to help keep the cancer unit in sligo..

i also urge everyone who can to attend

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I don't know if these rally's make any difference tbh. The HSE wouldn't be known for listening to people.

I find a day trip to Dublin or Galway on public transport exhausting at the best of times, but while suffering from cancer? Cruel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I would agree, Sue. Even in Fine Gael's ard fheis today nobody mentioned the removal of Cancer services from Sligo General - they mentioned the delay in building the Cystic Fibrosis facility plenty of times but it seems even amongst the party who are doing their best to damn the government, Sligo's Cancer Services situation is no longer an "issue".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

Xiney wrote: »
    Sligo's Cancer Services situation is no longer an "issue".

Thats because at this stage it's already been decided the services are moving to Galway :mad:
    and I fear that no amount of 'people power' is going to change that

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭garth-marenghi

Eamon Scanlon and Jimmy Devins resign the Fianna Fail party whip in protest at the proposed removal of cancer services from Sligo to Galway.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0805/politics.html

Part of a process to distance themselves from government actions and try to protect their seats at any future election?. I guess the litmus test will be if they will actually vote against any other government policies or unjustified cutbacks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

I guess the litmus test will be if they will actually vote against any other government policies or unjustified cutbacks

They voted with the party whip rather then standing up for Sligo & the North West when it counted. The writing is on the wall for them and they are solely trying to protect the seats in which their fat arses has grown far too comfortable in, it is done purely out of self preservation.

They've done nothing to prove themselves worthy of representing the North West in any future government post election.
    They should be judged on what they have done or not done during their whole term and not just what they do from this point onwards.

I just fear that many voters in Sligo have short memories or are too easily persuaded.

A touching gesture or the last gasp of two men who know they won't retain their seat if something like this isn't done. Two things can happen, they can be regarded as heroes by some for taking this action or people can look at the cold hard facts.

These men were asked to threaten to do this a long time ago and make it clear to Bertie Ahern and Brian Cowen a long time ago that they would resign, too little too late.

What will this now achieve and who can benefit from these two leaving the party? As said above too little too late means that this will not benefit the fight to retain the cancer services but it just might be used by two men to get themselves elected in the next general elections. The timing just leaves a sour taste in my mouth. A symbolic gesture not of defiance and bravery to stand up for their principles but of two politicians taking their last gasp of political breath and showing themselves for being bottom of the barrel shady politicians that would do a stunt like this which is despicable at such a late stage.

Unfortunately the big day for the removal of services is today(Thursday) and I hope this day of sadness is not overshadowed by two opportunist politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Disgraceful stunt. They promised support a short time back, stabbed their electorate in the back when it came to a vote, justified it with vague allusions to being convinced it was for the best, wait until the Dail is in recess to resign the party whip, not from the party, and have given themselves breathing space before the Dail resits and they could be forced to take a vote of no confidence in Mary Harney. Disgraceful flip-flop and flounce from two of the most inept representatives I've ever had the misfortune to bear witness to. The worst thing is, unless this shambles of a government falls, they're due another 3 years wages and expenses from our taxes. They should never see the inside of the Dail again, unless it's from the visitor's gallery. Gombeen scum.

• Advertisement

On my way to the hospital now, I think people are going up to the hospital today to show their support for the staff. Those who can, even just to show your support for a few minutes should try and get up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Part of a process to distance themselves from government actions and try to protect their seats at any future election?. I guess the litmus test will be if they will actually vote against any other government policies or unjustified cutbacks

Cynical opportunitism. They've already said that they WILL support the party on other matters.

Advertisement