Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Things that are a total waste of money

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Income tax, tv licence, car tax, health insurance, and coffee in a place that serves you a cup of foam, for €3.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

sky plus engineer less so. We're on our third box in a year and it's €100 each time he comes to replace it. Always happens just after the 90 day warranty is up!

That's really unlucky. We've had a box for 4 years, no problem with it ever.

Maybe your electrics are out of whack?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

you obviously dont have an overbearing mother in law who would disown her son if he didnt have a big church wedding:rolleyes:

It's your wedding and nobody should tell you what to do. :)

We got married in a registry office a couple of years ago. And then off to Cork and Kerry :) Best time, zero stress. Just us and 2 of our friends for witnesses.

Mother in law got a postcard from Cork (one of them 'New baby daughter' ones with 'baby' crossed over and replaced by 'in law' :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

Ruu wrote: »
    Wedding rings, 3 times your monthly salary me bollix. Not just in recession times.
    The "rule of thumb" was invented by diamond marketers when they realised that wealth was increasing but a €500 ring was considered to be fine by everyone. Nothing says "I love you" like a shiny pebble mined by slaves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

you obviously dont have an overbearing mother in law who would disown her son if he didnt have a big church wedding:rolleyes:
    Tell her to f-off, it's his and your life, has she decided how many grandchildren she wants you to pump out too??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Dublin bus and taxis! Get a bike and get fit and thus happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

sky plus engineer less so. We're on our third box in a year and it's €100 each time he comes to replace it. Always happens just after the 90 day warranty is up!

If it ever breaks again, just phone them up and tell them you want to cancel your service, when they ask why, just say you have had too many problems with the sky boy and you dont want it anymore. They'll offer to send out an engineer for free and replace the box, works everytime. They dont want to lose your 30/40/50/60 euro every month for the sake of a 100euro box.

BTW - the minimum warranty on electrical items is 6 months (eg Sky Box), 90 days is "contrary to your statutory rights"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Robbie Keane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

for me it has to be life - if you phail, use a gun and click the end button, why waste our time & patience ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

New books.

As much as it pains me to say this, it's silly to spend upwards of €20 in a bookstore (for one book that you're going to read once and then put it on the bookshelf to gather dust) when you can stop by the library and pick up as many books as you'd like for free.

Unless you collect first editions or something. Then spending is allowed. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Cow Moolester

Finger socks.

I spent 15 euro on two in Foot Locker and they provide no comfort at all :( They just make my fingers itchy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Finger socks.

I spent 15 euro on two in Foot Locker and they provide no comfort at all :( They just make my fingers itchy

fingersocks:confused:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

IIRC the box isn't yours until you've paid 12 monthly installments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

beertons wrote: »
    Income tax, tv licence, car tax, health insurance, and coffee in a place that serves you a cup of foam, for €3.50.
    €3.50 for Income tax, tv licence, car tax, health insurance, and coffee in a place that serves you a cup of foam

Bargain Alert !!

I wouldn't even mind if the coffee was cold :D

S.I.R wrote: »
    for me it has to be life - if you phail, use a gun and click the end button, why waste our time & patience ?
    www.clanphail.org/Mcphail/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Cow Moolester

jaffa20 wrote: »

They were these Nike sleeves you just put on your fingers..There were only two :(

http://www.kickz101.com/v1/catalogue/accessories/fingerbands/pics/nike_fs2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

just everything in general! spend way too much money on ****e everyday! (sweets, crisps, and the likes) 3 -4 eur a day! it all fekin adds up!
    bringin absolutely no money with me tomorrow!

total waste of money?

anglo irish... but we were all foolish enough to buy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭thermo66

Buying lunch everyday. Especially with a stupid college timetable with loads of gaps. Those cups of coffee add up along with at least a fiver for lunch. I've started bringing my own. Makes all the difference. We all need to stop being so lazy and make a sandwich in the morning folks!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

thermo66 wrote: »
    Buying lunch everyday. Especially with a stupid college timetable with loads of gaps. Those cups of coffee add up along with at least a fiver for lunch. I've started bringing my own. Makes all the difference. We all need to stop being so lazy and make a sandwich in the morning folks!!!

or at least bringing your own teabags. i'm gonna start with that **** when i go back to collitch. not paying those ****ers for their craptastic tea anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Cars for anyone living within inner Dublin.
    A second car in any one household within greater Dublin.

Take-aways whilst under the influence.
    Taxis when the nitelink is about (and not full of scobs)
    Buying albums when you have other means of obtaining them.
    Paying 10 into nightclubs when late bars are perhaps a superior social outlet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

Cigarettes
    killing youself and paying 8.20 for the pleasure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    So the recession is here eh? And isnt it just all a focking shambles?

Anyway, is these crunching times what do you think is a total waste of money?

For me:

OTT weddings. Go to the Registry Office and have a weekend in Donegal to follow.

Boy Racers. Whats wrong with a 3 grand car?

State of the art HDTVs Can you really tell the difference enough to justify the extra cost between that and a normal one?

Sky +. No explanation needed.

Any herbal. alternative, holistic, homeopathic therapy or drug. There are a load of charlatans charging 50 quid an hour for utter sh!te.

Organic food. Meh. Grow your own.

Extended Warranties. Just say no.

Pets.

Miserable git!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Bubba HoTep

higgo1888 wrote: »
    Advertising Visit Ireland ads on RTE.

Fact!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

SeekUp wrote: »
    New books.

As much as it pains me to say this, it's silly to spend upwards of €20 in a bookstore (for one book that you're going to read once and then put it on the bookshelf to gather dust) when you can stop by the library and pick up as many books as you'd like for free.

Unless you collect first editions or something. Then spending is allowed. :)

But if the price resembled the real price of £7.99, then it wouldn't be too bad.

Anglo irish shares.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

Fancy mobile phones.

Fancy mobile phones.

Not if you get them for free.:)Like hand me down iPhones!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

Not if you get them for free.:)Like hand me down iPhones!:)

:eek: HOW?

Advertisement