Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dying for a proposal

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Like it or not the point of life is to make and raise babies.

:confused:

That's the point of continuing life, yes, but not the point of being alive.

Women who can't conceive have no point to their lives according to your offensive opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭mossyj

I agree eventualy and ultimately that is the point of life but i see absolutely no need to rush into unnecessary expense at the relatively young age of 27 :) . Im luck that my g/f is of the same opinion i guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

cat24, don't mind anyone who tries to put you down for wanting to be engaged. Its a perfectly natural thing to want. And if its what would make you happy then there is absolutley nothing wrong with you telling your boyfriend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Dfens

Seize the day & ask him.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭CAT24

Ian I should have known your repsonse would be similar. I'm not going to explain again that its not the materiaistic aspect I'm interested in. I'm not saying that I wouldn't like a ring but its not what its all about. Thanks for the pity, I'll pass it on.

He wants to suprise me and also wants to do it soon so thats why he said before xmas because we talked about it last year. I think he wants to plan something nice, I haven't a clue. If I read this post I would probably be thinking the same..relax and let it happen but it just feels different when I'm here myself.

• Advertisement

ntlbell wrote: »
    It's probably no the act of committing that would make him feel uncomfortable but the thought of being preasurised into it might

It is a pressurised decision, we don't live forever....particularly if you are living with someone and making sacrifices to be with them.
    That guys OH is happy fair enough. But I think it is BS to feel uncomfortable with someone hinting that a proposal is a wanted after 7 years.

IanCurtis wrote: »

Women who can't conceive have no point to their lives according to your offensive opinion.

I think the point moonbaby is making is that its an evolutionary thing to procreate etc etc.... not that life is pointless for those that cant :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Like it or not the point of life is to make and raise babies.
    That's a bit Darwinian and thus, not particularly relevant any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

It seems from what the OP has said, that the boyfriend is planning some way of proposing, in his own way, probably in the next year/6 months (I may have misinterpreted) so it can only make him feel worse if he's pressurised or even asked by the OP!

I know a few guys who have gone to a bit of bother to pop the question - weekend away, ordering a specific ring, waiting until they think of something they want to say, whatever and there's nothing worse than someone giving you the guilts when you ARE already planning something! It's like planning a surprise party for someone when they are constantly moaning about no-one doing anything nice for their birthday!

Ease up on the idea OP and it'll be more of a surprise when it does happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

anyone else singing a slightly modified version of the 80's godzilla cartoon intro song

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

It is a pressurised decision, we don't live forever....particularly if you are living with someone and making sacrifices to be with them.
    That guys OH is happy fair enough. But I think it is BS to feel uncomfortable with someone hinting that a proposal is a wanted after 7 years.

We don't live forever but you can live your life perfectly happy without getting married.

There's being hinted at and being preasured and I think what made that poster uncomfortable was not committing to his OH but if he was being preasurised into it

when does constant hinting become preasure? probably when the guy is putting it off under the umbrella of a "finance issue"

Can I just make it clear that I dropped a few hints (at the start of the year) and I haven't been saying anything since. I'm in now way pressuring as I will know he will do it. I thinnk everyone has picked me up wrong! I'm not at home every night talking about it, I just research and look up things myself

He he doesn't want to do it he won't. He's his own person and I would never push someone into doing anything. I'm talking purely about my interest in it, not that I'm pushing my oH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Give the OP a break, she's only saying what lots of women won't.

Thanks Neuro Praxis, at last someone realises that I'm not a bridezilla and just want what a lot of women in the world want! It's not something completely unreasonable!

CAT24 wrote: »
    He he doesn't want to do it he won't. He's his own person and I would never push someone into doing anything. I'm talking purely about my interest in it, not that I'm pushing my oH

The fact that you practically know what month he's going to ask in tells a different story IMO

When did I give a month?? I said before xmas which is what he told me at the start of the year! It could be any time, I don't know!

I have no patience to wait until December

hmmm

We don't live forever but you can live your life perfectly happy without getting married.

There's being hinted at and being preasured and I think what made that poster uncomfortable was not committing to his OH but if he was being preasurised into it

when does constant hinting become preasure? probably when the guy is putting it off under the umbrella of a "finance issue"

*sigh* I think im on my own here so ill gracefully bow out:). Shudda had more sense than to go poking my big nose into the ladies lounge:rolleyes:

@ OP - I hope everything works out for you

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

TBH he shouldn't have told you that he plans to ask before Christmas, because as it gets nearer, the time frame gets smaller and with under 4 months left you're getting all antsy and excited about it. It's like being handed a present but told you can't open it till the person tells you you can!

For your own good though, I'd say try to focus on something else to take your mind off this.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Thanks Neuro Praxis, at last someone realises that I'm not a bridezilla and just want what a lot of women in the world want! It's not something completely unreasonable!
    I'm really not picking on you but yes it is totally unreasonable, you are with someone 4 years, you have a house, you've discussed marriage, he's basically told you it will be in the next 4 months, and you still can't wait.
    Calm down and enjoy being in a loving commited relationship and maybe you might be surprised when he proposes rather then it being expected.

• Advertisement

I'm thinking I should of kept my nose out of this forum too mossy

ntlbell when I said December I was referring to the end of the year..which is December. Apologies for not writing 'until the end of the year'

I'm thinking I should of kept my nose out of this forum too mossy

ntlbell when I said December I was referring to the end of the year..which is December. Apologies for not writing 'until the end of the year'

and I said practically.....sorry for not stating which month!:rolleyes:

mossyj wrote: »
    *sigh* I think im on my own here so ill gracefully bow out:). Shudda had more sense than to go poking my big nose into the ladies lounge:rolleyes:

@ OP - I hope everything works out for you

I was actually supporting your stance.

Just very badly ;)

I think DamoElDiablo, you hit the nail on the head. It was probably the worst thing he could have done because it's like I'm constantly on alert. It's hardly going to a surprise when I'm waiting for it.

I can wait and I HAVE to wait, all I'm saying is I'm really excited about it and can't stop thinking about it. Shoot me dead for having thoughts, I can't control my brain!

IanCurtis wrote: »

I didn't intend it in that way, but you make a very good point.
    Apologies if I have offended anyone with that comment.

IShoot me dead for having thoughts, I can't control my brain!

You can control envy it might take some practice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Bride Envy !! Sorry op had to :D!!

Just give the guy a break you know its going to happy before the year ends or check this out http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ArgosBrowseCounts?storeId=30001&langId=-1&catalogId=1500001201&identifier=10390209&Trail=C%24cip%3D1500014751%3EC%24cip%3D1500014861%3EC%24cip%3D1500014872

Buy a cheapo one your self butt don't stick it on the finger only when your wuth your oh in a kind of teasing way :D

If you are so obsessed by the idea that you can't help hinting out it.
    Then I doubt you are the kind of person who can be happy without marraige or commitment.
    I don't think it is fair to hold on to someone, if you have a different idea of the direction you want your life to take at that point.

I agree I think the finance line is fobbing the issue off.

gcgirl wrote: »
    Bride Envy !! Sorry op had to :D!!

Just give the guy a break you know its going to happy before the year ends or check this out http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ArgosBrowseCounts?storeId=30001&langId=-1&catalogId=1500001201&identifier=10390209&Trail=C%24cip%3D1500014751%3EC%24cip%3D1500014861%3EC%24cip%3D1500014872

Buy a cheapo one your self butt don't stick it on the finger only when your wuth your oh in a kind of teasing way :D

I'm sure he wouldn't feel a bit stressed then :D

• Advertisement

Then I doubt you are the kind of person who can be happy without marraige or commitment.

If that was the case I would probably put the energy into finding out why and fixing it instead of trying to get someone to marry me so I can feel "comfortable"/"happy"

Advertisement