Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need a Girls Opinion On This.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

From a male perspective - way too much.

Your paying alot of money for the tiffany name there.
    Waste imo.

Like the engraving idea if it is both of yours debs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

She must know you are crazy bout her !! Any feedback / signals?? Maybe sus it out before you go spending lots of money!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Seems an awful lot to spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Ash-209

depends on how close of friends
    BEST friends ever for years, good present
    just kinda friends, mite freak her out a bit
    from a girls prospective :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    Im good friends with but also crazy about her, anyway..

If you're taking her, then you're already paying for the tickets. A 'debs specific' gift could be to get her a nice corsage, find out what colour her dress is and then go to a florist (in advance) and order a nice one. Black Tie, and places like that, will sell ones, but tbh they're a little blah compared to the ones you could get in a good florist.

Tbh, i think the engraving would be a brilliant idea for a girlfriend, but a little OT for a friend. Jewellery is a very personal gift.

If you want to give her a gift to mark the occasion you could get a photo of the two of you on the night, and give it to her afterwards in a nice frame.

But.....the real question is, why don't you tell her that you like her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

OTT. Would feel bit uncomfortable if my date (who I was also good friends with) did same. I just wanted his company, hense I asked him. Wasn't looking for anything more, in line of material things. However, thought the hugh bouquet of good quality flowers he bought for my mother was lovely..not forgetting the nicest corsage ever for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭SunnyP

I think the bracelet is a lovely idea if ye are really good friends
    the engraving is def too much though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭brucer24!

you can give it 2me :D
    but i agree with fast mover. it might make her uncomfortable that you spent that much money on her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

Debs is the equivalent of prom, I think? It's absolutely way too much. But it would have absolutely made my year if someone had done that for me on prom night. I just think the engraving is especially too much. Maybe just engrave "Debs 2008"? It is a lot of money. Unless you're well-off and 185 is a drop in the bucket, reign it in a bit. Your heart is in the right place, very sweet and romantic of you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

OK, That is WAY OTT unless you are rich or whatever.

Remember if she likes you, she likes you. You will make her feel very Awkward if you give her a gift like that at a debs.

However, If you do decide to give it to her, make sure you know the dress colour. otherwise they might clash.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

The bracelet is beautiful. The engraving is more than friends. (Also, if you guys ever fall out, she'll never wear it again).

However, If you do decide to give it to her, make sure you know the dress colour. otherwise they might clash.

That was the cutest response ever! It's such a woman's way of looking at things, haha. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

What colour clashes with silver? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Dfens

I agree with the above posters, unless you are really good friends it is a bit much & might make her uncomfortable, still I'm sure it would be a lovely surprise. Wish I had a date like you for my Debs :)
    Re. the engraving, I would be inclined to leave it simple - date Debs 2008 etc. (as one poster said if you guys ever fall out or she's a bit embarassed she might never wear it again if the names are on it) - without the names she might wear it more.
    The main thing though is if you think she feels the same way about you as you do about her, you have to talk about that, maybe not on Debs night but next day perhaps especially if all goes well. You might lose your chance if both of you go ff to different colleges, places after all this....

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Suzyq

Waaaaay over the top - you'd want to be very sure that she's into you before you go that far cos if it were me and a guy that I was friends with but didn't fancy gave me something like that I'd run for the hills!

Don't get it engraved as she might not accept it and then you wont be able to return/recycle it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

Its a little ott, the bracelet is fab though, if you still really want to get it for her do, but the engraving part (even the date of the debs) is a push to far.

Can you not just tell her how you feel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

Very OTT unless you are both very well off and £185 is meaningless. I know some people take Debs a lot more seriously than others, but nobody I know did anyway. Also bear in mind that some people are very uncomfortable about accepting expensive gifts - I would have completely freaked out if the guy that brought me gave me that and I really couldn't have accepted it.

How does she feel about you? Any ideas?

I do really like the idea of commemorating the night though, if you are really good friends - but not in such an expensive way. Perhaps a simple engraved chain or a much cheaper bracelet. I think that would be sweet - if presented in a non-creepy kind of way. Flowers are all well and good, but will have to be binned in a couple of days. Again that's just me though, cos I wouldn't really be that into flowers. Something quirky and fun might be more in line with the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭trio

Nope, it's too much.

You're only friends but you're hoping for more eventually?

Then you have to tread carefully - a gesture this big will scare her off and you'll never get anywhere. You do not have to give her a present at all, and I think you shouldn't. Long-term bfs and gfs may exchange gifts at Debs (though I doubt it's common) but definately not pals.

You have to decide what you expect from the occasion. If I were you, I'd have this expectation: that after the Debs she sees you as a romantic possibility. It's only a short night, and you'll both be surrounded by people, so that's good enough for one evening.

I say this from a girls point of view - she won't want to go from 0 (longterm totally platonic pals) to 100 (shifting the face off you) in the space of 5 hours. It's something that would freak out most 17/18 year old girls. What you should be hoping for is 0 (see above) to say....25 (seeing longterm platonic pal in a totally different light).

Then in the weeks afterwards, you can gradually build on that.

If I was going to the Debs with a male buddy (which is what you are to her at present) then:
    • I'd expect a lovely corsage, and for him to maybe share rounds with me once there.
    • I'd expect him to spend some time with me and not abandon me once we got there to spend the whole night with his mates.
    • I'd expect him to hold out his elbow for me to put my hand in it, but not to presume I want to hold hands straight off the bat.
    • If I suspected he may have romantic feelings for me, I wouldn't be suprised if he asked me to dance during a slow set. I'd appreciate it if he asked me privately, or if he couldn't seperate me from the herd if he at least whispered it into my ear. This is so if I really didn't want to be anything other than friends, I could shake my head without any of my friends slagging me, or embarressing you.
    • If I accepted, it would be because I was intrigued by the idea of him as a romantic prospect. But I wouldn't be sure how I felt so I'd appreciate it if he just danced with me and talked quietly throughout (about the evenings gossip and crack so far is a good topic - just don't chatter on nervously like a monkey. Exude calm.), and didn't presume to slap the gob on me. By accepting the dance, I would be testing out my romantic feelings for him - not my sexual feelings! If the dance ended without him trying to shift me, I'd be secretly a bit relieved, as that would be going too fast for me - and I'd be grateful for your consideration and I'd feel the warm fuzzies towards you.

By the nights end, you'd have been sweet, funny, considerate and I'd have danced a really nice romantic slow set with you. On the way home if you held my hand I wouldn't mind and might actually think it feels quite nice.

Of course the above depends on (a) her accepting your dance - if she doesn't then she doesn't see you as a romantic prospect at present and you'll have to wait a few weeks longer and try again, and (b) neither of you getting ratarsed.

Someone up above mentioned a bouquet for the Mam - genius! Once your in with the Mam she'll mention you at home frequently. Dad will also approve. It's win-win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Honestly mate, that bracelet stuff will only end in tears.

When you're buying a girl a present to kinda show her you like her, you should make it quirky and a little bit funny.

Just tell her you like her when she's wasted later on in the night. Then if she turns you down, she either won't remember it, or you can say it was actually another one of her male friends.

I would also add that I'm a single 30 year old bloke, so the above may not be sound advice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Well we are good friends, and she helped me thru alot and I never really showed her I appreciated it, so this is basicly thanking her for all her support etc.

Instead of the names etc. Im just gonna get the date and year engraved. whether she wears it or not is up to her. I tried!

btw- Im not well off or anything just have the money and nothing to buy for myself so, might as well buy her something nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

R H C P - ok, you're good friends and she means a lot to you because of how she helped you, but a bracelet costing that much is definately still over the top, and will more than likely end up making things akward between you!

Tone the gift back a little, something small and cute will be much better, along with a nice corsage and a bouquet for her mum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Instead of the names etc. Im just gonna get the date and year engraved. whether she wears it or not is up to her. I tried!

btw- Im not well off or anything just have the money and nothing to buy for myself so, might as well buy her something nice.

If you are going to go ahead with it i'd suggest just getting her initials engraved on it - that way it's a personal gift for her, but it's not tied into one occasion, if you know what i mean.

Eg, if the debs were to be a crap night (just playing devils advocate here!) - the hotel is flooded, her dress rips and she breaks an ankle on the dance floor - she's not really going to get a warm happy feeling looking at that date engraved on a bracelet.

I gave an ex a pair of cufflinks (while we were together) with his initials on them. We parted on good terms, and he still wears the cufflinks sometimes, even when out and about with his new girlf. She knows they came from me, but as they have his initials on them the gift was about him, not about me, and she's not bothered by him wearing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

I can only see this thread ending with comic consequences! Be careful OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

Give her the bracelet, it's absolutely gorgeous. The engravings make it too personal though, so unless you're fairly sure she'll reciprocate your feelings, I wouldn't get date/initials or anything on it.

And if it doesn't work out, PM me and I'll take it off your hands.....

See that's the thing is we can pretty unanimously agree that it's too much, but also that we'd love it. It really is a fabulous gift, incredibly romantic and thoughtful which is what every woman wants, it just might be inappropriate in this situation. Proceed with caution!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Forget about the engraving etc. If you really really like her and you think she feels the same, tell her at the debs! I kicked myself for not doing that at a grads I went to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

ok if you had gotten it without the names it might be ok for a friend but wana be more. But the names on it i think push past the "just friends" status. If she is in to you too then go for it, if not then it might make her feel a little awkward.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

cuckoo wrote: »
    If you are going to go ahead with it i'd suggest just getting her initials engraved on it - that way it's a personal gift for her, but it's not tied into one occasion, if you know what i mean.
    Perfect, I will get her initials on it instead.
    cuckoo wrote: »
    Eg, if the debs were to be a crap night (just playing devils advocate here!) - the hotel is flooded, her dress rips and she breaks an ankle on the dance floor - she's not really going to get a warm happy feeling looking at that date engraved on a bracelet.

Why can I see that actually happening :p

• Advertisement

Perfect, I will get her initials on it instead.

Why can I see that actually happening :p

Let us know how it goes, will ye?

Advertisement