Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Writing a song for a friend, it sounds like a love song :/

• 29-12-2013 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

So my guitar teacher knows how much I love writing books and poetry. He set me the task of writing a song over the holidays.

I tried writing 1 for one of my best friends. She moved to another country a few years ago. We are still very close but I really miss her.

I thought I would write the song about her but I feel it sounds like it could be a love song. Should I bin it? How do you write a song for a friend without it turning into a love song?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Friendship is love, no?

If you sit down to write a song about your friend, who you miss, and what comes out is a love song, then is that not how you feel, and really that's what it's all about... however you end up expressing what's in your heart/soul doesn't matter as long as what you've got down is real.

Just because it sounds like a love song, doesn't mean you're in love with her.

Not great advice maybe, but i've written songs in the past with a similar outcome and to date, they remain some of my favorites.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Evil Robot

Go for it, man. Don't think, just write from the heart. You don't have to be in love to write a song that you love the girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭souls

Evil Robot wrote: »
    Go for it, man. Don't think, just write from the heart. You don't have to be in love to write a song that you love the girl.

Evil Robot is right. Write from the heart..wait a minute evil robot doesn't have a heart.. he's just wires,and parts more twisted and evil than man. disregard

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Rory Gallagher

Here's a good song about a platonic relationship of friendship.Just to prove it can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MyNanoh

Is it a big deal if a song turns into a love song, or sounds like it?
    If she knows you, she would understand what's the real meaning of the song.

Just do it, and you'll see after that (;

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 65 ✭✭Taajsgpm

AliceRyan wrote: »
    So my guitar teacher knows how much I love writing books and poetry. He set me the task of writing a song over the holidays.

I tried writing 1 for one of my best friends. She moved to another country a few years ago. We are still very close but I really miss her.

I thought I would write the song about her but I feel it sounds like it could be a love song. Should I bin it? How do you write a song for a friend without it turning into a love song?

So let it be a love song , you love her, but if its just a friend dont telll her its about her, the songs most of the time write themselves let it flow

Advertisement