Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Getting the times down.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

cwgatling wrote: »
    Thanks lads. Hope to really go to town on this one! @Drquirky - well done on the sub-36. Super time, would love to hit it some day. Gonna go out at 5:50s I think and grit the teeth until those downhills! Thanks again.

Just remember first mile is a constant climb so dont worry if feel you are working a little harder than you should though you have done this race before so you know the score.

+1 on the time I think you should be looking at that as a definite goal 5.50 is a nice time thats sub 36.30 if i remember correctly (only know because my half pace in debut was 5.53 and came through aroun 36.28)

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Thanks ecoli, yeah I was looking at the elevation there. Steep climb from the beginning :(
    Would be over the moon with that time. I think if I get to mile 4 on target I have a decent shot.

Shame you're not heading down man! Must chat to you about the Inter Clubs at some stage.

Thanks ecoli, yeah I was looking at the elevation there. Steep climb from the beginning :(
    Would be over the moon with that time. I think if I get to mile 4 on target I have a decent shot.

Shame you're not heading down man! Must chat to you about the Inter Clubs at some stage.

Would have loved to as after running a short course back in Oct despite being on for a good PB regardless I have wanted to take good chunk off the time and break the 35 mark (my PB 35.02 so there abouts but as stands I am still a 35.xx runner :D)

Yea from four miles you get such a mental and physical boost I know I was struggling from 3-4 last year but once got to that point started flying

You running it? There is a medal for the taking at it if we can get a team together. We got bronze last year and I reckon should have a much stronger team if we can get a few more out this year as I had a shocker and were a few lads who were only getting back into shape. If we have Tomo me you Eoin (if he gets over his fear of cross after last year:D) there no reason we cant challenge for gold in our division

Ha that's a killer, 2 seconds. I did 39.01 in this last year and 65.00 in Craughwell. You'd think that second or 2 would be easy to nail in the last 400 but it doesn't work like that.

Yeah, I think so man. Glad you're positive about it, I'm bricking it - the standard is shocking. Tomo is doing it too AFAIK. We won't budge Eoin I'd say :)

Ha that's a killer, 2 seconds. I did 39.01 in this last year and 65.00 in Craughwell. You'd think that second or 2 would be easy to nail in the last 400 but it doesn't work like that.

Yeah, I think so man. Glad you're positive about it, I'm bricking it - the standard is shocking. Tomo is doing it too AFAIK. We won't budge Eoin I'd say :)

Even without Eoin we still will have Artjom who can handle the distance just about despite being a glorified sprinter:D

The team last year that won bronze was Tomo me Artjom and Sean W so like there is definite room for improvement with you in there. The standard is pretty insane alright but remember the fact that the field is huge so there will always be people ahead and behind no matter where you are. Focus on the team and will gain some solice in that

• Advertisement

Yes, Artjom is a beast! 12km will be a nice test. Cool man, that's great about the prospect for a medal. It won't be from lack of trying if we dont get one. Great point, it's easy to get psyched out!

Yes, Artjom is a beast! 12km will be a nice test. Cool man, that's great about the prospect for a medal. It won't be from lack of trying if we dont get one. Great point, it's easy to get psyched out!

Trust me I know that only to well I was being lapped last year and was like okay he is a senior in the peak of his career but as went on got passed by a lad my own age and head nearly dropped despite feeling I ran poorly still ended up second scorer so no matter how badly you think you are doing you will end up suprising yourself in hindsight

Ah great stuff. Feeling better about it now. Cross is a funny old game. I got lapped in the Inters too last year. Saw your log, will try to jump in to that BHAA one in the park too. Cheers man.

4 @ 8:10. Super easy pace. Didn't feel too easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

4 @ 8:10. Super easy pace. Didn't feel too easy.

Forecast looks perfect for tomorrow man. Was looking for the results from last year but not a sausage. Any ideas where they are?

• Advertisement

tunguska wrote: »
    Forecast looks perfect for tomorrow man. Was looking for the results from last year but not a sausage. Any ideas where they are?

http://www.redtagtiming.com/results/Mysports10km_Results2011.pdf

9 @ 7:34 up at the waterworks. Great weather. Back in Garmin-land. Super easy day tomorrow before the race. Sub-37 or bust!

Forget the bust congrats on the PB

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I assume that was you with tunguska? If it was, you'd gone off for more grub when I went over to chat with him so I didn't get to say hello. Well done on the pb, great running on a tough course.

@ecoli - thanks a million man, jeez it was so close to a bust you wouldn't believe it!
    @RQ - ah sorry I missed you. Yes, was getting my 3rd round of sandwiches and coffee. How did you get on? It was tough out there.

So 36:55 for the 10k. Felt a bit weird before this, breathing wasn't great and I was tired but that's the norm sometimes before races. I'd decided to go out hard and try to hold on, which seemed logical but kinda put me in for a lot of hurt.

This is a hilly course, but it's a loop so you get back what you put in. After mile 2 I was working really hard to hold the pace and the head wasn't in a great place. Between 2.5 and 4.5 there are some serious undulations which knocked me for 6. Two lads passed me and I held on to them for as long as I could but they slipped away. I have never felt like quitting a race so much as at this point. Head down and hoped it'd go away. At mile 5 a girl drew alongside me - she was about 4 foot 9 and she was motoring. Couldn't hang onto her either. Head killing me at this stage and the shoulders were seriously tying up. Thankfully held on until the end, pace was slow though. The splits tell the story pretty plainly:

5:44
    5:50
    6:02
    6:12
    6:08
    48s

I gave too much on the first mile/1.5 mile. Focus wasn't half as good as Raheny or the Heath 10k. Can't say why. PB is a PB though. Sub-36 some time this year is the goal now.

Tunguska the f*cking animal ran 33:44. Serious field: Brian Maher, Sean Hehir and some top Raheny guys as well as Linda Byrne, Maria McCambridge. Really well-organised race, will be back for more hardship next year.

8.5 in 1:04 at lunch. Feeling ok. Late going back to work, they'll get over it :)

So 36:55 for the 10k. Felt a bit weird before this, breathing wasn't great and I was tired but that's the norm sometimes before races. I'd decided to go out hard and try to hold on, which seemed logical but kinda put me in for a lot of hurt.

This is a hilly course, but it's a loop so you get back what you put in. After mile 2 I was working really hard to hold the pace and the head wasn't in a great place. Between 2.5 and 4.5 there are some serious undulations which knocked me for 6. Two lads passed me and I held on to them for as long as I could but they slipped away. I have never felt like quitting a race so much as at this point. Head down and hoped it'd go away. At mile 5 a girl drew alongside me - she was about 4 foot 9 and she was motoring. Couldn't hang onto her either. Head killing me at this stage and the shoulders were seriously tying up. Thankfully held on until the end, pace was slow though. The splits tell the story pretty plainly:

5:50
    6:02
    6:12
    48s

I gave too much on the first mile/1.5 mile. Focus wasn't half as good as Raheny or the Heath 10k. Can't say why. PB is a PB though. Sub-36 some time this year is the goal now.

Tough 10k alright. Man I think the reason you're not overly pleased with thiss even though it was a PB on a tough course was that for the first time this season you didnt hit your target. Bounce-back-ability is what its all about. The positives were that you could've been a wuss and played it safe but instead you went for it. I mean if you were to do that race again next week I'd be 100% sure you'd hit your target. The worst thing you could do now is to beat yourself up but at the same time neglect to carry out a proper post-mortem. Sit down and think about what exactly went wrong, learn from the mistakes you made and nail it next time. You learn more from your failures than you do your successes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Good running CW Gatling. Nice PR !

Tough 10k alright. Man I think the reason you're not overly pleased with thiss even though it was a PB on a tough course was that for the first time this season you didnt hit your target. Bounce-back-ability is what its all about. The positives were that you could've been a wuss and played it safe but instead you went for it. I mean if you were to do that race again next week I'd be 100% sure you'd hit your target. The worst thing you could do now is to beat yourself up but at the same time neglect to carry out a proper post-mortem. Sit down and think about what exactly went wrong, learn from the mistakes you made and nail it next time. You learn more from your failures than you do your successes.

True indeed, it was a good experiment. Biggest thing to take away for me was that I race better when I start steady and hammer it home. Training has been heavy too so not an ideal build up but it wasn't the goal race. This stuff will (hopefully) pay off in the long term. Well done man, you ran a brilliant race.
    Jesus that was wicked today. More rest required next time!

Tues - 7 @ 7:30. Lovely night
    Wed - 4x mile @ I pace

5:33
    5:36
    5:38

Sick session. Legs were still shot from the race, it was windy and it was the early morning. Bad mix. Rep 3, I don't know what happened. Other than that it was a decent pace but the effort was sky high.

9.5 for the day.

Jesus that was wicked today. More rest required next time!

Tues - 7 @ 7:30. Lovely night
    Wed - 4x mile @ I pace

5:33
    5:36
    5:38

Sick session. Legs were still shot from the race, it was windy and it was the early morning. Bad mix. Rep 3, I don't know what happened. Other than that it was a decent pace but the effort was sky high.

9.5 for the day.

Ahem, shouldnt that be 10 for the day? Im claiming the 10 paddy, no two ways about it. Hard going today indeed. Definitley gotta take 5 or 6 days of easy running after hard races over 5k. We gotta do that session again next week so I reckon thats the one we'll do for your one session. We'll nail it this time.

Ha, yeah I stuck it into Sporttracks and it's almost 10. We'll let you have it this time ;). Sweet, yep definitely get it right next week. Some doozies coming up, had a look at the plan.

Funny how this game works, late shift after that session yesterday and I was knackered last night. Woke up and was rejigging the weekly mileage in my head, trying to fit in a day off today. 30 mins later I'm trotting over the bridge into Tymon, 2.7 miles done. Enjoyed it in the end. Sometimes the best strategy is just to get the hell out and see how it goes.

Haven't had a day off running since Stephen's Day. Will take one before the Inter-Clubs.

9.25 @ 7:54

• Advertisement

Fri - 11.5 including 3x 2 miles T pace

11:55
    11:57
    11:58

Recovery was 2 mins and 3 mins. Happy to be under the 6 min mark. Windy day again at the track. Think I will just note whenever it's calm, might be easier! Definite niggle at the back of my left knee. Think it is calf-related. Stick time...

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that today's workout means that you aren't gonna run the BHAA race tomorrow eh?

Hehe, well spotted. I actually thought it was on Sunday when I figured I'd do it. You going to give it a lash?

Yeah will do- its a mile away from my house so I have no excuse! Whats your next race? You're flying in the workouts...

Best of luck man, looks like a great one. I've got the inter-clubs XC Sun week where I'll try not to come dead last, then the Craughwell 10 miler on 18 March. Hopefully the body holds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Fri - 11.5 including 3x 2 miles T pace

11:55
    11:57
    11:58

Recovery was 2 mins and 3 mins. Happy to be under the 6 min mark. Windy day again at the track. Think I will just note whenever it's calm, might be easier! Definite niggle at the back of my left knee. Think it is calf-related. Stick time...

Nice session, 2 mile reps on the track are murder on your calves. You should do your warm up/ cool down in a reverse direction to save your legs. Another little trick is to do the warm up and cool down in your normal mileage shoes then stick on the racers for the session itself.

Sub 61 or even sub 60 in Craughwell must be in the back of your mind?

Nice session, 2 mile reps on the track are murder on your calves. You should do your warm up/ cool down in a reverse direction to save your legs. Another little trick is to do the warm up and cool down in your normal mileage shoes then stick on the racers for the session itself.

Sub 61 or even sub 60 in Craughwell must be in the back of your mind?

It'll be a crack at sub 60. He's on the fence at the moment but Im working on him........

It'll be a crack at sub 60. He's on the fence at the moment but Im working on him........

Firmly seated on that fence. Sub 60 is out of reach I think but I will go out at 6:05 and try to wind it up :( PB is on though with some luck, 63.xx from the Frank Duffy.

Sat - 5 easy
    Sun - around 11 with 8x (600, 300, 150).

600m in 2:07
    300m in 1:00
    150m in 30s

Recovery was short (60, 30, 30s). Fartlek type session. Tired for this one but got through it. 63 for the week.
    Left side a bit beaten up, got physio this Fri. Will drop the mileage a little this week too. Mile repeats Wed and race Sun.

Mon - 9 easy.

9.2 easy. New shoes lined up for the session tomorrow. Hammered the calf and knee last night, they're a bit better (maybe...).

• Advertisement

Wed - treadmill run. Way too windy for milers. 2 mile w/u then 4x 15 mins at 13km/h at 6% grade with 3 mins jog recovery.

Good tough session and nice to get off the roads/track. No way in hell it was 13km/hr though. That's 7:30 pace. Felt more like 6:10 even without the hill. Sticking down 11 miles for the day, I was on that thing for an hour and a half.

Easy, short runs today and tomorrow.

Advertisement