Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dubai doing its best to encourage tourism and investment

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

There is a big difference between ..........
    uses Sharia Law
    &
    ...our own DPP of trying to prosecute a now 18-year old lad for having sex with his girlfriend when he was 16 years old?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭techdiver

Wasn't our own DPP of trying to prosecute a now 18-year old lad for having sex with his girlfriend when he was 16 years old?

Very true, and a complete travesty also. No excuse for it, but you have to admit that Sharia Law is slightly more extreme??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

techdiver wrote: »
    I presented the opening paragraph of an article from a publication and a link to the full article. How is that false presentation? The title of the thread was clear. Dubai wants western money and tourism whilst at the same time behaving like savage Neanderthals towards a woman who was raped.

If you commit a minor offence in Ireland, i.e. jaywalking, and are then subsequently beaten to a pulp, will the gardai deny you treatment and the time of day until they first establish that you were the perpetrator of a petty offence before dealing with the more serious and heinous crime?

The quote you used falsely coloured the actual content of the article.

Look, it's sh!t; it's terribly sh!t that this girl was subjected to this. I agree.

My point is simple: people don't go to Saudi Arabia and act inappropriately. So why do they feel they can do so in dubai???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭techdiver

davyjose wrote: »
    The quote you used falsely coloured the actual content of the article.

Look, it's sh!t; it's terribly sh!t that this girl was subjected to this. I agree.

My point is simple: people don't go to Saudi Arabia and act inappropriately. So why do they feel they can do so in dubai???

There is a difference in the way both Saudi Arabia and Dubai market themselves to the outside world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭g-whizz

she won't do it again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭CPT. SURF

I automatically think your a bit of a moron if you spend money on a trip to Dubai. Look at all the beautiful destinations one could go. Idiots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Julien Savory Windpipe

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Dubai and Abu Dhabi are both a disgrace. Hotter than the sun, built by modern day slaves and ruled by Barbarians who travelled on camels about 30 years ago, where the Crown Princes brother tortured an afghan trader with a cattle prod, ran him over in an SUV, poured salt on his wounds and lit his genitals on fire. It is NOT in any way like Las Vegas despite the marketing, and in 30 years when their oil has run out and they have squandered billions on pie in the sky projects (like the Tiger Woods Dubai golf course which requires 4m gallons of water per day) they will return to exactly where they were before, and good riddance.

someone was saying its just like vegas but without the gambling, drinking, clubs/bars, sex etc; basically vegas with all the fun sucked out of it

its funny despite all the cool stuff they built in dubai it still only receives 1/10th of the visitors vegas does

i am still going to check it out though :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Part of the problem is, people go to Dubai thinking "anything goes", but they're entering a Muslim country in the Middle east. These people wouldn't carry on like that in Saudi Arabia, for instance.
    I know Dubai is very westernised, but for a while now the locals have been asking for a clamp-down on the behaviour of it's tourists.

Yeah it's shocking, but Dubai is a country with some very shady politics and its human rights policies are through the floor. I'm not at all surprised tbh.

dubai is saudi arabia with a slick marketing team

• Advertisement

Degsy wrote: »
    Dubai is on its ballbag financially..there were irish people stupid enough to invest in property there a few years back and they have lost everything without a brick being layed!

in fairness they were taken in by an irish agency ( larionovo ) who since went into liquidation and who are presently being pursued by the fraud squad for all kinds of iregular activitys , an interesting side note is that this same company were heavily promoted by dean of law at a major dublin university , john o keefe , o keefe is a personal friend of the directors of this now defunct agency

The point is, this is very much frowned upon by their religion; it's also a country with little regard for human rights. Put it together, and what do you get...?

I'm not saying I agree with the ruling. I damn well don't. But this isn't the EU. Just because there's a Debenhams or a Nike Store in the shopping malls, does not mean you are safe.
    This is a country which makes up its own rules, and the average person doesn't have a leg to stand on.

My point is, people go there thinking things like topless sunbathing, and public drunkenness is acceptable. I'm simply saying it isn't. Not there.

in fairness , dubai potrays and sells itself as a tollerant fun loving party town to westerners , it refered to itself as the vegas of the middle east , no other mid east state does this

Advertisement