Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Long hose to a soccer pitch? pressure!

Options
  • 03-04-2009 8:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭

Hello all, hopefully you can help.

The situation we are in is as follows.

We have a 150metre hose, of 1/2" diameter that runs from the outside tap of the club house to the soccer pitch adjacent.

Pressure from the outside tap is generally fine, but as you would expect, its not worth talking about when it arrives at the end of a 150 metre hose pipe, at which stage it is to fit on to standard garden sprinklers.

The questions I have are as follows.

(1) We tried to run the tap through a pressure washer, then on to the hose pipe and that helps allot, but I dont think a pressure washer can keep a continous pressure for constant sprinkling. Can anyone give na opinion on that please?

(2) Can anyone suggest what I can put between the outside tap and the long hose pipe that would push water down the hose pipe at an increased constant pressure?

ps: Changing the plumbnig is not an option, and the water supply is generally fine.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Your best bet would be to upgrade the hose to a larger diameter - 3/4 or 1 inch would make a huge difference. The loss of pressure is due to frictional losses in the hosepipe.

No need to change the plumbing either - just use an appropriate fitting to reduce the hose diameter to 1/2 inch at either end to fit the existing outside tap and sprinkler.

Advertisement