Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Site layout suggestion

• 29-03-2014 7:15pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello,

Was wondering if there is some aspect of the newer site layout that caters to the busier forums on boards / an easier way to navigate through to them.

Like a drop down for the "main" or highest traffic forums maybe.

Tricky enough subject because I don't want to be unfair to any community, however I see problems like this to navigate to the busiest forums in, say, arts.

300762.png

Similar problems for the films default, the soccer forum, food and drink, or whatever the busiest ones in fact are.

I was wondering if, analogous to the current category and sub forum structure, you had "busiest forums" to generate a boards thread list.

If you're familiar with reddit it's like the list of default subreddits that pepper the top of the reddit main page.

Show punters the tip of the iceberg by nominating the busiest forums and then allow them discover the specifics once we hook them all in with our wonderful contributions on the highest traffic forums.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,697 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I have an option on my smart phone where the apps are arranged nearest the first page in order of usage.

Would it be too much of an ask to integrate this type of technology for each user??

I suspect it could well be....:o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'd be concerned corralling new people into the busier forums would artificially bloat these forums at the expense of smaller forums.

The idea of Boards is that there's a forum for every interest (and a bunch for general banter). People might just pile into AH and never leave rather than taking time to look around.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

If you're familiar with reddit it's like the list of default subreddits that pepper the top of the reddit main page.

I don't think boards should do something just because reddit did it.

There can be something up with how the categories are organised, but it's set in stone now and could disrupt how regular boardsies navigate.

Whenever I'm looking for something as a sub category, I'm expecting it in alphabetical order.

If you arrange the sub categories by overall popularity, overtime the way they are rated could change. Means people have to keep looking somewhere else to go to the same place. Doesn't really work for idle browsing or just casually popping in and out.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I don't think boards should do something just because reddit did it.
    The idea is more of a functional one. Display the popular forums first - give them a weighting in terms of the UI in relation to their popularity.

Seems to make sense to me. It's not doing other forums a dis-service in my humble opinion because the main forums can still include links to their specific subs.

The search function allows you to find your specific topic. If you're idly browsing you want to be doing so where the biggest relevant community is.

The key word there is relevant. I'm saying that there is a problem and has always been a problem in how boards displays its many many many forums.

I think that this suggested alternative is a logical addition.
    There can be something up with how the categories are organised, but it's set in stone now and could disrupt how regular boardsies navigate.

2600.jpg
    The structures change and continue to do.
    Also I'd prefer some form of additional page / funct. rather than changing anything.

In any case the new searches and front page and all that has fundamentally changed how people use the site already.
    Whenever I'm looking for something as a sub category, I'm expecting it in alphabetical order.

If you arrange the sub categories by overall popularity, overtime the way they are rated could change. Means people have to keep looking somewhere else to go to the same place. Doesn't really work for idle browsing or just casually popping in and out.

Options > Sort alphabetically > by relevance > By popularity. I'm just proposing an alternative that would provide some clarity above the bloat of many many childless nodes with minimal chat going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

It's a solid suggestion Dr B and one I'd considered myself before for a change in the menu.

My concerns though would echo those mentioned above, busy forums may get busier at the expense of smaller ones (and/or additional mod workload in having to move things from busy forums that have been posted in the wrong place), but there's definitely a potential to make this stuff more presentable.

Our biggest problem from a UI/UX point of view at the moment is that people don't know what forums are or how they're supposed to work. Anything we can do to address that helps and this suggestions is definitely a useful one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement