Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Couch to 5k thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭caitrionaanne

No secrets to it happyday.... Must be honest!!! Really watch what I eat and loads of exercise. Im diabetic so I cant have all the nice stuff which helps, I guess! :)

The dreaded first 20 min run now on Sat so fingers crossed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

No secrets to it happyday.... Must be honest!!! Really watch what I eat and loads of exercise. Im diabetic so I cant have all the nice stuff which helps, I guess! :)

Best of luck with the 20! Big big milestone. Once you get through that you'll breeze through the rest of the plan. Take it really easy from the start and you'll smash it! Looking forward to reading about it Saturday!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I gave up at week 5, the 20 min run the first time, 6 months later and I was back to it this week.

Ran the 20 minutes on Tuesday I think and said **** it if I can do the 20 minutes I'll do the 5k so I kept plodding along, did it even though it took ages, 37:22. Now two days later I did it again, 36:31. Body may be falling apart now, resting up for a bit. It's amazing how much you can build up with this thing, I have flat feet/fallen arches, I have shin splints and very tight calves that hurt after 100M of runing but I did it, anybody can, great program.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Well done, hope Saturday went well.

I'm diabetic too , completed c25k last year and been running ever since . Running really helps with the control of the condition for me. Keep at it.

I'm interest in your comments re your legs turning to jelly, I never get out of breath running but I do feel it in my legs, I suspect it has something to do with the diabetes.

happyday wrote: »
    Well done you! That's great. 3 stone is amazing. Keep it up. I'm doing C25K second time around. On week 3 now and doing well. I'd love to loose some weight. Any tips would be welcome.
    :)

When doing the program I used to do my runs early in the morning before I ate anything , I lost a lot of weight in the first few months doing that . Drink plenty of water too thoughout your day.

Not sure of if the science behind it but I have read some articles that suggest running first thing kicks the metabolism to life and helps with weight loss.

• Advertisement

Hey all!

Well the 20 minute run didnt happen due to getting a silly kidney infection but tomorrow is D Day so will report back!

@ The Muppet - I was assuming that the jelly legs was because they got the chock of their lives with the workout they got but maybe it is from the diabetes! I never even thought about that :)

Guys, I DID IT!! In 28 degree heat! Pace was slow but I freakin did it!!! 20 mins conquered!!!

Guys, I DID IT!! In 28 degree heat! Pace was slow but I freakin did it!!! 20 mins conquered!!!

Fantastic:D No stopping you now! 25 will be easy peasy after today!!!

Thanks Ososlo! Was tough going cos of the heat but not nearly as tough as I imagined!! Im so happy!

Thanks Ososlo! Was tough going cos of the heat but not nearly as tough as I imagined!! Im so happy!

I remember the day I did it SO WELL! It's a real milestone and seriously now that you've conquered that you'll finish the programme no problem. You should look at doing a 5k race/parkrun then a few weeks after you've finished to celebrate your achievements :D Good luck with the rest of it!

• Advertisement

Well done. how were the legs after it?

I will never forget my first 20 minute run, brilliant feeling and it gave me confidence that I would complete the programe which I really didn't believe I could up to that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

Go you! Fantastic. Keep us posted on how you get on next week. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Congratulations! I remember the feeling of achievement, it's amazing. Just stick with it now, don't do what I did and stop running because you feel like you've achieved your goal and deserve a break. :pac:

Thanks everyone! Going really well again. After the initial 20 min run, it kinda becomes evident that intervals are so much more tiring. The next run after the 20 mins was so tough. But all the intervals are over for good and did the 22 min run today. Still feel very slow but will build on that I hope!!!

Hope its all going good for all u guys too!! :)

I'm just finished week 4 (on my second time around) and I found the last day very hard. I couldn't finish the last five minute run. I think it was too hot. Anyway I'll carry on to week 5. The next one is 3 x 5 minute runs. I know that 20 min run is looming though! Is there a C25K app that will tell you what distance you have run as well as what time you have run for? I use Runkeeper at the same time as C25K by Zen Labs but maybe there's an easier way to do it?

The C25K app I have tells the distance as well but I also use Map My Run to keep track at the same time and tell me the calories burned. YOu will surprise yourself with the 20 minute run @ happyday - made me realise that is it is possible to run through the pain! And Im on the 25 minute runs now and love it! Im still quite slow but working on distance before pace and hopefully will come in time.

Keep us posted :)

The C25K app I have tells the distance as well but I also use Map My Run to keep track at the same time and tell me the calories burned. YOu will surprise yourself with the 20 minute run @ happyday - made me realise that is it is possible to run through the pain! And Im on the 25 minute runs now and love it! Im still quite slow but working on distance before pace and hopefully will come in time.

Keep us posted :)

Thanks Caitrionaanne! The 20 min run is planned for tomorrow. I hope I can do it. A lot of it is in the head I think. Which app do you use? I'm looking at them and wondering which one to try. The Zen Labs one is very simple and straightforward and I like that but it would be good to know the distance covered too.

Thanks Caitrionaanne! The 20 min run is planned for tomorrow. I hope I can do it. A lot of it is in the head I think. Which app do you use? I'm looking at them and wondering which one to try. The Zen Labs one is very simple and straightforward and I like that but it would be good to know the distance covered too.

I would recommend downloading the podcasts from the NHS because it includes some verbal coaching which can offer a bit of a mental boost (imo).

Then download RunKeeper or MapMyRun to keep track of distance, pace etc.

I would recommend downloading the podcasts from the NHS because it includes some verbal coaching which can offer a bit of a mental boost (imo).

Then download RunKeeper or MapMyRun to keep track of distance, pace etc.

Thanks for that Maximus! I took your advice and I am just back from my 20 min run now. I did it! First go. I'm delighted. The last time I did C25K it took me several attempts so I must be a bit fitter now. It just goes to show, you don't loose all your fitness that quickly. I liked the encouragement but maybe not so much the music. But it got me there and that's the important thing. :)

Thanks for that Maximus! I took your advice and I am just back from my 20 min run now. I did it! First go. I'm delighted. The last time I did C25K it took me several attempts so I must be a bit fitter now. It just goes to show, you don't loose all your fitness that quickly. I liked the encouragement but maybe not so much the music. But it got me there and that's the important thing. :)

Well Done!!!! Isnt it a great sense of achievement! No looking back now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

Hi All,

I just started this on Tuesday (day 1 of c25k) and was planning on doing day 2 today but still pretty sore. New to this so wondering should I go out and do day 2 today or wait until all soreness goes?

thanks.

tw0nk wrote: »
    Hi All,

I just started this on Tuesday (day 1 of c25k) and was planning on doing day 2 today but still pretty sore. New to this so wondering should I go out and do day 2 today or wait until all soreness goes?

thanks.

A bit of muscle soreness would be very normal at this stage but if you have any pain don't run. I used to give 2 days between runs. Maybe wait until tomorrow if you're unsure.

thanks Ososlo, Ill take it easy tonight and hopefully it goes ok

Good luck with it tw0nk! Muscle aches are part of the parcel of being a runner im afraid but as Ososlo said, if there is pain take a rest! You will amaze yourself how much you can push yourself and progress!!!

Im on Week 8 day 1 tomorrow but cant seem to get the speed up to run more than 3km in the 25 min run! But I guess distance before speed!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Hi All,

thanks.

Make sure you look at doing a proper warm up and cool down afterwards. Google dynamic exercises to get an idea of the type to do. Don't do the hold and stretch for 30 seconds stuff we did in school.

Thanks all, I went for it yesterday and thankfully it went much better than the day 1 session, although I was soarer afterwards than the first day. I stretched lots after the session yesterday as I was worried if I didnt the pain would get worse. Thankfully I feel good today, the stretching afterwards and good night sleep seemed to work. I must give those dynamic exercises a go, I was doing the 'hold and stretch' out of ignorance but Il change now for day 3.

I was dreading going out last night but once I got going I was fine, I think confidence is building and removing some of the fear. Also, haven't slept as well in years.

Does anyone else using the c25kfree app welcome the sound of the beep when its time to stop jogging? :D

Does anyone else using the c25kfree app welcome the sound of the beep when its time to stop jogging? :D

Wait until you get to your first 25 minute run. That beep will be akin to the most beautiful music you've ever heard. :D

25 min of continuous jogging seems so impossible to me now, if I make it to that and hear that beep, I will feel like I accomplished a marathon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

Wait until you get to your first 25 minute run. That beep will be akin to the most beautiful music you've ever heard. :D

Haha that is so true!

I ran 25 minutes outside for the first time ever this week. Was SO proud of myself. I had such a mental block about running outside (think it was/is a confidence thing where I thought everyone was looking at me) but am so chuffed I made it through!

• Advertisement

25 min of continuous jogging seems so impossible to me now, if I make it to that and hear that beep, I will feel like I accomplished a marathon :)

Remember that feeling, thinking it's impossible, because it will remind you how impressed you should be with yourself when you pull it off. ;)

Advertisement