Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda Reserve Training

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭baton charge

Where is the college in Templemore ? I'll be coming from the N7 direction so does anyone know where I go when I get there and do I need to bring a passport photo with me or do they do them on the day ?
    If you are coming from Dublin head for Potlaoise onto Rosscrea and then down to Templemore.

Bren1609 wrote:
    Who said you have to leave id in the station?
    Brens correct there is no requirement to leave your ID in the station no more than you have to leave your uniform there.Does your ID not also confer that you have a power of arrest under the limited sections you do have powers under???

I meant to add while on duty above.Because you are just Joe Civy when not on rostered duty. Have any of the full time Reserves heard anything about an increase in our Powers.Public Order offences seem to be the bread and butter offences most transgressed against yet we seem to be impotent in this regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

geo1212 wrote:
    Good point Murphy,

Truth be told, I didnt understand why we were issued with ID's in the first place, as we will never be involved in plain clothes duty in any case, why do we actually need them. When I queried this with a Sgt. I was told that you had to be able to identify yourself to a member of the public if they so requested, despite the fact that we would be in uniform. Not entirely sure if I would have the balls to approach a Guard in uniform and ask to see ID though, and as far as I can remember, in a year I have only had one person question my shoulder numbers/letters

The regulations regarding ID cards were written at a time when there was only full-time Gardaí & was done so because they might have the need to identify themselves as members while in civillian attire.

There's also the fact that uniforms can & have been stolen or copied, so having an ID to produce makes things that little bit harder for those with an inclination to impersonate a member.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭iandromiskin

If you are coming from Dublin head for Potlaoise onto Rosscrea and then down to Templemore.

Thanks. I see it now on a map all right. I think the college is at the end of the town on the left too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭wonka

If you're coming from the Dublin side, its signposted as a left turn in the town center. Take the next right (no signpost) or else you'll end up in the train station. From Thurles its the first right after a golf course as you approach the town. Loads of us ended up at the train station so i think its part 1 of your test to actually find the place.
    They put you up in a hotel on the sat night. It was in Thurles but it may have changed after all the complaints we had (and groups before us). Bring swimgear as it has a leisure center.
    Just completed 28 hours over the last 5 days. Under pressure to get the 40 done before the 20th as i'm away on holidays for a week. Opens you up to new experiences is the best way of putting it. Least i know the spots to stay away from around the city.

wonka wrote:
    Loads of us ended up at the train station so i think its part 1 of your test to actually find the place.
    :D:D I'll make sure I pass that first test. I see the road you mean on the map too.
    wonka wrote:
    Least i know the spots to stay away from around the city.
    Where are you stationed ? In Dublin ? If so I would imagine there are areas to be mindfull off all right.

Well... Just back from Phase 1 and have to say it was an eyeopener and an experience. Though I'am pretty sore after the couple of hours of PSD yesterday, especially my foot, but its all for our own good. At least we can sit down for P2, but I think I'll take up running or somethign before we go back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 on standby

Ian, Well done and glad to see you got on well. I don't smoke and i don't drink to much myself but id say it would be much easier if you had some level of fitness and thats why I have taken up cycling in the last six months myself. Is there any running involved in phase one or is it on the spot activities like having to be flexible, What did you find to be most difficult.

Hi. In P1 you'll have 2 hours of Self Defence where they teach you basic techniques of how to fall, move forward, move back if attacked, how to protect yourself on the ground followed by more detailed hold techiques used in arrest procedures. Its just it can be a bit physical and at times you will be out of breath and sweating, so any level of improved fittness would be benificial I think. Having said that, everyone else is in the same boat and once you get going its enjoyable and educational, in a sort of physical way.. :)

(Ps I bought a bike about three weeks ago and havn't touched it since. Still sitting in the shed :eek: )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Hi Ian,fair play for the update,sounds good,how many were on your session,are you really unfit or just average as most lose levels of fitness at a certain age,I have my interview wed,nervice as hell,keep us posted.Cheers.

I have my interview wed,nervice as hell,

Hi, Thanks.

Is this your interview with PublicJobs ? If so they tend to place emphasis on your involvement in the community and community activity, so make sure you mention any times when you gave something to the community - church fair, cleaned the estate, football coaching .. whatever. They will obviously ask you why you want to join the reserves too. Other than that just be yourself. The whole purpose of the interview is to get a handle on you and your charactor really, and it normally lasts about 15 minutes. The written test is simple too, you'll be guided through it and just read the example given and you'll be grand. Let us know how you get on too.

Aye, you are right. Our fittness level would be normal ish, so needless to say we all had sore muscles and bruises after the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 on standby

Ian, Thanks for the update. Sounds good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 eve23

Hi, Im new to boards and came across this forum today, I am thinking of applying to join the garda reserves but am wondering about the time commitment involved if I was lucky enough to be accepted and graduate as a reserve, what kind of hours are involved once a person has graduated. I am currently a year into my PhD and tend to work 8-4 on weekdays. Is the work flexible? Also I have heard that during training a reserve does not work in the area of their local station, how far away would they be stationed?

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Hi,its only 4 per wk after training,would not be your local station,but not too far from it,long process in applying though,interview,medical etc.I have my 1st interview tom'.....looking forward to it,apply and see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 eve23

thanks for that, think i will go ahead and apply. best of luck in your interview:)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭pat1187

it seems none of our phase 2 group has done any pulse training yet, and we are to pass out 20 Oct. in reality how has that worked out? it seemed at one time we were to spend about 8 hours? training on it. and haven't heard anything since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭geo1212

pat1187 wrote:
    it seems none of our phase 2 group has done any pulse training yet, and we are to pass out 20 Oct. in reality how has that worked out? it seemed at one time we were to spend about 8 hours? training on it. and haven't heard anything since.

Pat, I would'nt worry too much about it, the pulse training is a day long, at least thats what it was when we did it. I missed the first training day due to work commitments, and the fact that they rang me on friday evening to tell me it was on sat morning. I just folded into the next training day, and all was grand.
    Where are you all doing your station training?, and have you been given attachments yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭pat1187

I did phase 2 in waterford (7 of us ) and station training in Kilkenny.I'm to go and talk to the station Sergent after Oct 20 to work out hours and be assigned a unit.Reserves doing station training in stations with more than 50 Gardai really need to be assigned to units from the start.If I had been with one unit from the start I know i could have made better use of my time.

pat1187 wrote:
    I did phase 2 in waterford (7 of us ) and station training in Kilkenny.I'm to go and talk to the station Sergent after Oct 20 to work out hours and be assigned a unit.Reserves doing station training in stations with more than 50 Gardai really need to be assigned to units from the start.If I had been with one unit from the start I know i could have made better use of my time.

Yea certainly being attached to a specific unit does help, however once you get to know the shift pattern, you can in effect attach yourself to work with the one unit only, this however depends on your own time available. I think I met some of your class on station training over the weekend. You'll find the whole thing will settle down for you once you pass out and get into your station proper.

• Advertisement

geo1212 wrote:
    Yea certainly being attached to a specific unit does help, however once you get to know the shift pattern, you can in effect attach yourself to work with the one unit only, this however depends on your own time available. I think I met some of your class on station training over the weekend. You'll find the whole thing will settle down for you once you pass out and get into your station proper.
    Pat and I did our training together but unlike Pat the Waterford reserves were assigned to their respective units fairly quickly.I can tell you it does make a difference because it helps you bed in faster. After attestation it should all settle down as you will get to do more regular hours than dribs and drabs during Phase 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

How long is Phase 2????

How long is Phase 2????

Its stated that P2 is 56 hours of legal studies on weekdays and weekends. My group have just started P2 studies and we have to complete it by the end of November.

Pat and I did our training together but unlike Pat the Waterford reserves were assigned to their respective units fairly quickly.I can tell you it does make a difference because it helps you bed in faster. After attestation it should all settle down as you will get to do more regular hours than dribs and drabs during Phase 4.

yea baton,

it will get a little easier when you are attached to a unit, I am attached to a Dublin station, and it has settled in fairly well, even as far as being able to join in with some of the social gigs.
    The biggest lesson, is to watch, listen and learn. The regular's who have maybe ten years service develop a skill of spotting something that just does not look or seem right, and when you think you are watching everything they suddenly come up with "did you see that", and we are "eh what", thats something that you cannot put into a text book.
    These are the lads and girls who you can learn off.
    If its of any use, at the start write everything down, and after a while you will get to know whats important and whats not.

geo1212 wrote: »
    yea baton,

it will get a little easier when you are attached to a unit, I am attached to a Dublin station, and it has settled in fairly well, even as far as being able to join in with some of the social gigs.
    The biggest lesson, is to watch, listen and learn. The regular's who have maybe ten years service develop a skill of spotting something that just does not look or seem right, and when you think you are watching everything they suddenly come up with "did you see that", and we are "eh what", thats something that you cannot put into a text book.
    These are the lads and girls who you can learn off.
    If its of any use, at the start write everything down, and after a while you will get to know whats important and whats not.

Hi Geo,
    When you say write everything down do you mean in a personal diary like the college trainees do or in the official Garda notebook? what goes into the official notebook anyway do you find you are duplicating what the full time Garda enters into his even if you are only assisting. I think this is a very grey area what do you think??? I believe only one Reserve has affected an arrest since it's inceptionis does this still hold true.Have you also heard anything about an increase in powers for Reserves or is anybody bothered either way.

Hi Geo,
    When you say write everything down do you mean in a personal diary like the college trainees do or in the official Garda notebook? what goes into the official notebook anyway do you find you are duplicating what the full time Garda enters into his even if you are only assisting. I think this is a very grey area what do you think??? I believe only one Reserve has affected an arrest since it's inceptionis does this still hold true.Have you also heard anything about an increase in powers for Reserves or is anybody bothered either way.

In the beginning write down everything you think is important in your notebook (official). It does not matter if its duplicated, if anything its a second witness as to what has occured. Check with the member you are with, as you gain more experience you it will become a little clearer for you. In regards to arrests/powers, check with your SHO, as its not something I would discuss on line.

Thanks Geo I expect it is all part of a long learning curve.As you said in a previous posting it is all about listening ,observing and not been afraid to ask the seemingly stupid question when needs be.
    Finally I would just like to take this oppurtunity to wish all my classmates warm wishes for Saturday when we finally pass out as full time Reservists.It has been a long road but well worth it.Now the real work begins.

So how long is each Phase??

We've just started P2 a short while ago. Have until the end of November till P3.

If I had one piece of advice for you starting P1, it would be to take the Monday after the weekend off, as you will probably be suffering from aches and pains from using muscles you never knew you had.

• Advertisement

We've just started P2 a short while ago. Have until the end of November till P3.

If I had one piece of advice for you starting P1, it would be to take the Monday after the weekend off, as you will probably be suffering from aches and pains from using muscles you never knew you had.

If what they so is true about phase 1 starting on the 3rd of November. The Monday will be my birthday. Should be a painful 1 so :)

Advertisement