Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Very easy to find.

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/fltinfo.php?sector1_o=aDUB&sector1_d=LGW&sectdest=LGW&sectorig=aDUB

A number of flights from Dublin to London have been cancelled, other airports have a similar online presence such as this from Dublin.

http://www.dublinairport.com/flight-information/live-departures1.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Bluetonic wrote: »

If you're talented :)

Thanks very much.

I've decided not to risk it - I would have been flying out today and back tomorrow, and according to the BBC news Gatwick is conjectured to be possibly snowed in tomorrow.

I wish Ryanair had a site where you could tell them you're not flying. I feel discourteous not doing so, and it would be convenient for the airline, but the cost of calling them is too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

luckat wrote: »
    I wish Ryanair had a site where you could tell them you're not flying. I feel discourteous not doing so, and it would be convenient for the airline, but the cost of calling them is too high.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭DubLass

Airport was in chaos tonight :eek:

In the end I decided not to fly. I would have got to London, but once there, the trains and Tubes weren't running, and I was worried about being trapped in Gatwick, shivering among a million fluish sneezing passenger-wannabes and with nowhere to get food but the like of McDonald's or the delicious but expensive seafood bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I've been a Ryanair fan for years, but I think that they've finally pushed me to other airlines. They will now limit passengers to exactly one piece of cabin luggage. This includes handbags, which for most women isn't luggage, it's essential.

I'm already an ideal Ryanair passenger. I travel light with one small backpack (at weekends) or a small cabin-sized suitcase if travelling for work.

In contrast I flew with Brussels Airlines last year, which limited you to one piece of cabin luggage but didn't inlcude handbags or other small items.

Ryanair really are making it harder and harder to avoid checking in luggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,390 ✭✭✭Trampas

dudara wrote: »
    I've been a Ryanair fan for years, but I think that they've finally pushed me to other airlines. They will now limit passengers to exactly one piece of cabin luggage. This includes handbags, which for most women isn't luggage, it's essential.

I'm already an ideal Ryanair passenger. I travel light with one small backpack (at weekends) or a small cabin-sized suitcase if travelling for work.

In contrast I flew with Brussels Airlines last year, which limited you to one piece of cabin luggage but didn't inlcude handbags or other small items.

How many bags should you be allowed to carry on?

Its crazy sometimes trying to find a place to put your small backpack because a couple have a half a dozen bags.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Was only a matter of time before something was done, it was getting a bit ridiculous. often bags have to be off loaded and placed in the luggage hold below which defeats the purpose of speeding up the turn around time, and is a way to gain more revenue with a 105m loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭opa01_2000

I think Ryanair are starting to really struggle. I predicted this would happen a couple of years ago and must admit that, as usual, I was premature. They were desperate to capture Aer Lingus to cover up their difficulties. They talk about 2.2bn in cash but this is typically flights and taxes that are paid up front. When you take away the 1.9bn in liabilities they have really got about 300m in cash and have just declared 102m loss in Q4. Their load factor has dropped to 69% which is shocking for Ryanair espeically as they have aircraft remaining on the ground over the winter.

The reason for their downturn is that they have been found out. You can treat some of the people like sh*t all of the time or all of the people like sh*t some of the time but when you put the two together it will come back to haunt you at some stage. Their low fares, when you take everything into consideration, are more expensive than EI to the UK. Somebody was on here a few weks ago complaining EI's baggage charges to Malaga had gone up to €30 each way and were going to go to FR but didn't check FR's baggage charges were actually €35 each way and were limited to 15k per person. A return flight to Malaga with FR and a 20k bag would cost €70 plus €15 per kilo over 15k each way totalling up to €220 for baggage alone.

The reason they are clamping down on the hand luggage is they need a new revenue stream to prop up their numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I should also add that the one piece of cabin luggage will also include duty-free purchases.

I've no problem with them being strict in terms of luggage. As I said, I already travel light and I hate seeing people squash onto the plane with tonnes of bags. But I really don't want to have to pack away my handbag. My handbag always goes under the seat in front of me, taking up no room in the overhead bin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,967 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

A hand bag should easily fit into standard cabin bag. I fit my laptop into my bag when travelling overnight on business. What size is your handbag?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I should also add that the one piece of cabin luggage will also include duty-free purchases.

I've no problem with them being strict in terms of luggage. As I said, I already travel light and I hate seeing people squash onto the plane with tonnes of bags. But I really don't want to have to pack away my handbag. My handbag always goes under the seat in front of me, taking up no room in the overhead bin.

But with 80-90% of people now checking in online and not checking bags in, storage space on the plane (including storage space under the seats) is now a premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

But I really don't want to have to pack away my handbag. My handbag always goes under the seat in front of me, taking up no room in the overhead bin.

Can you not take your handbag onboard in your 'one bag' and remove it once you get to your seat?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Sure if everyone brought in a handbag with their carry on it would not take long for the luggage space to be used up quickly. You'd be surprised at the size of some peoples "hand bags".

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

To all the baggage weight conspiracy theorists: :D

I was caught up in the mess of cancelled flights on Monday last, and I ended up stranded overnight at East Midlands airport. There weren't enough seats..typically... and in an effort to find somewhere comfy to sit rather than a stone floor, I went behind one of the check in desks to sit, as it had carpet. All the weight machines were switched on. I noticed accidentally as my foot rested against the side of the conveyor, that if I pressed gently anywhere along the steel outside of the conveyor, right down to floor level, I could increase the weight shown on the indicator by up to 4kg. All it took was light pressure from the toe of my boot. I thought it was interesting. It wouldnt take much for a check in assistant to, ahem, inadvertently cause your bag to weigh heavy by just having their foot resting against the side of the belt......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

opa01_2000 wrote: »
    The reason for their downturn is that they have been found out. You can treat some of the people like sh*t all of the time or all of the people like sh*t some of the time but when you put the two together it will come back to haunt you at some stage.

Very true. That's why I never fly Aer Lingus any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

opa01_2000 wrote: »
    I think Ryanair are starting to really struggle. I predicted this would happen a couple of years ago and must admit that, as usual, I was premature. They were desperate to capture Aer Lingus to cover up their difficulties. They talk about 2.2bn in cash but this is typically flights and taxes that are paid up front. When you take away the 1.9bn in liabilities they have really got about 300m in cash and have just declared 102m loss in Q4. Their load factor has dropped to 69% which is shocking for Ryanair espeically as they have aircraft remaining on the ground over the winter.

The reason for their downturn is that they have been found out. You can treat some of the people like sh*t all of the time or all of the people like sh*t some of the time but when you put the two together it will come back to haunt you at some stage. Their low fares, when you take everything into consideration, are more expensive than EI to the UK. Somebody was on here a few weks ago complaining EI's baggage charges to Malaga had gone up to €30 each way and were going to go to FR but didn't check FR's baggage charges were actually €35 each way and were limited to 15k per person. A return flight to Malaga with FR and a 20k bag would cost €70 plus €15 per kilo over 15k each way totalling up to €220 for baggage alone.

The reason they are clamping down on the hand luggage is they need a new revenue stream to prop up their numbers.

I agree 100%. More and more people will now only take ryanair if there is no other option. I have no problem paying an extra €30 / €40 if the service I get matches.
    The eastern european travellers are starting to dry up and at the same time ryanir are treating their passengers with more distain than ever. the strictness of their handbag / airport shopping bag rule is unbelievable and attitude of their staff / service agents to customers has to be seen to be believed.

The combined action of above is leading to lower load factors which explains why they are cutting some routes from Shannon & dublin. Mouthpiece o'leary claims it is to do with the 10 euro tax imposed by the governnment here. - What he seems to forget is that nearly every other country has a similar tax, so this does not wash with me.

Basically service level has dropped so low on Ryanair, the public are simply refusing to be treated like cattle no matter how low the fare is.

I've usually found Ryanair staff pretty nice, though of course there are always some miserygutses in every company.

I just can't understand why anyone buys anything non-essential in 'duty free' (which is no longer duty free and is usually more expensive than a supermarket or electronics shop or department store). And the idea that an airline should be using the world's depleted supply of fossil fuel to fly bottles of whiskey across the sea is cracked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

luckat wrote: »
    I've usually found Ryanair staff pretty nice, though of course there are always some miserygutses in every company.

The staff themselves are generally fairly ok especially on the planes, but the ground agents are told to apply restrictions strictly and they give no leeeway whatsoever no matter what the circumstances.

In birmingham, one person bought additional clothes for a airport store to change into due to 8 hour delay caused by snow. The clothes he changed out of were put in the shopping bag the new clothese came with. the only other piece of "lugagge" he had was a laptop bag. He was informed that he HAD to place one item in the hold and pay £15 for the priviledge. - No amount iof explaining that what he had was due to necessity of purchasing new items due to aircraft delays.

He left the bag on the ground and told the staff member to donate it to charity. - He swore he'd never use Ryanair again.

Problem with ryanair is this is not an isolated incident - they just seem to piss passengers off more than most and most people will now only use them when necessary and rarely by choice.

Low fares are great, but we don't need them so low as to have 3rd world standards leveled at us.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Ive also noticed that hardly anyone bothers to pay for priority boarding anymore. At most 20 or so people do. So theres another few quid per person Ryanair are no longer making.

They are sending staff out along the queues lately to check the one bag quota, they never used to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭DubLass

Being in a long distance relationship for a number of years myself and my boyfriend use Ryanair on a regular basis. We all know that you pay for what you get with them and for a short 40 minute flight I have no problem availing of their cheap fares, I havent been treated in a shoddy manner by them and in fact the only time either of us experienced any problems was on an Aer Lingus flight over Christmas when my boyfriends luggage went missing for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

I fly once a week with them and have never had an issue with all kinds of size baggage.

Always pleasant enough and most importantly rarely late.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

DubLass wrote: »
    Being in a long distance relationship for a number of years myself and my boyfriend use Ryanair on a regular basis. We all know that you pay for what you get with them and for a short 40 minute flight I have no problem availing of their cheap fares, I havent been treated in a shoddy manner by them and in fact the only time either of us experienced any problems was on an Aer Lingus flight over Christmas when my boyfriends luggage went missing for a week.
    I was in the same situation for the last 3 years and the only time I had a problem was flying out of Berlin but that was not ryanair but globe ground which were being very exact. I generally find the staff on ryanair to be very nice but then again I dont really ask for much just like I dont ask for much on the bus either - I get on and I get off and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 P Davis

lynchie wrote: »
    Its quite simple...

For UK travel

Ryanair
    Online Checkin - Only Passport / National ID card
    Checkin at Desk - Passport, Drivers License, National ID card

Aerlingus
    Online Checkin - Passport, Drivers License, National ID Card
    Checkin at desk - Passport, Drivers License, National ID Card

correct someone give that man a medal

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

darc wrote: »

In birmingham, one person bought additional clothes for a airport store to change into due to 8 hour delay caused by snow........

He left the bag on the ground and told the staff member to donate it to charity. - He swore he'd never use Ryanair again.

Did he REALLY need to buy a change of clothes? It seems excessive for an 8 hour delay on what was a short haul flight!

I was due to fly home to Dublin from Edinburgh for the weekend last Thursday with Ryanair but my flight was cancelled due to the snow in Dublin. Next flight they could put me on was Saturday which was unsuitable as my return flight was on Sunday at lunch time...

They said they could put us all on a flight to Shannon at 9pm. Asked would there be a bus put on to bring us to Dublin? No, weather conditions causing cancellations means there's no onus on Ryanair to put on a bus.

I went home, intending to rebook for free online. But COULDN'T. It kept giving an error saying my inbound flight was earlier than the outbound flight (I wanted to fly home the next weekend). I rang the reservations line which kept giving a message outlining their office hours and giving a number for their internet helpline - which is £1 a minute and didn't work from Skype or my mobile.

Ended up going to Edinburgh airport to get Servisair to rebook the flight. The girl there said the problem was I had checked in online for my return flight and as I had now been offloaded from that, I should be able to rebook online with no problems. Of course when I tried it, the problem still existed.

So I applied for a refund, and booked a new flight with Aer Lingus.
    This is the first big issue i've ever had with Ryanair and it's really damaged my faith in them as a company. I fly home about once a month and from now on it's going to be with Aer Lingus wherever possible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 coffee_chucker

eth0_ wrote: »
    I rang the reservations line which kept giving a message outlining their office hours and giving a number for their internet helpline - which is £1 a minute and didn't work from Skype or my mobile.

Last monday, my flight from Edinburgh to Dublin was cancelled too, my sister (who lives in Edinburgh) rang Ryanair for me. She uses this website to find the local cheaper numbers. The website doesn't look the prettiest, but it works.

http://www.saynoto0870.com

Last monday, my flight from Edinburgh to Dublin was cancelled too, my sister (who lives in Edinburgh) rang Ryanair for me. She uses this website to find the local cheaper numbers. The website doesn't look the prettiest, but it works.

http://www.saynoto0870.com

None of those numbers work for me (I live in Edinburgh too), they all had a message directing me to the £1 a minute customer service line...which I couldn't call from my mobile or from skype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

None of those numbers work for me (I live in Edinburgh too), they all had a message directing me to the £1 a minute customer service line...which I couldn't call from my mobile or from skype.

(01) 2480856

i always get through on that number no problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

i used to work in a microsoft call centre and this website gave out our number as a free alternative to tech support(we weren't).took us months and threats of legal action to get our number taken down. Just beware that you're getting the correct number.

Advertisement