Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm even tempted to get the Hyperdimension Neptune games when I saw one on sale on playasia today. Then I got sense.

I must start the Atelier series, hearing so much about how good the PS3 games are and my friend is raving about Meruru and onwards (he says Rorona is only ok). Same friend recommended Persona to me :)

Seems I have an Atlus, NISA, XSEED and Aksys pile of shame. Pick them up in case they become hard to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I have Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1 for the Vita and it is actually a good little game although a bit hard to translate, I never played the original, but I am ashamed to say I watched the Hyperdimension Neptunia anime.

Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk is a good game as well, but it is more of a game to relax with, the fighting kinda takes a backseat to collecting and the cast are quite charming, but it is also strangely addictive. I have the The Apprentice of Arland as well but it is still in its plastic, not sure why I did not play it before Dusk though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

My friend says the exact same thing about Atelier :)

Shin Megami Tensei is on sale now on iTunes for $5.99 until April 1st.

Not sure if that applies to Europe of if it's even available here yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Hundred knights looks interesting but I've heard it got poor enough review in japan though they've been updating it since. I might just hold out later down the line and hope they port it to vita or something.

• Advertisement

Rogue-likes have always been a niche, it might fair better over here since they've become popular. Sorcery Saga got surprisingly great reviews here.

Still it's not the first time NISA have put out a stinker... and I've both it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Sorcery Saga got surprisingly great reviews here.
    I'm not touching a Compile Heart game again after 30 uber dull hours wasted on Agarest. Real amateur feel to everything in that game, any semi-decent idea smothered by the repetition. Nothing ever developed, same thing hour after hour... [/rant]

I've played through the first dungeon in sorcery saga. Its very low stress, my health never dropped below half. You could barely call it a rouguelike at this stage.

Well got to say I'm very surprised with just how well SMT works on iOS. Touch controls just work far better on a first person dungeon crawler than a top down game. Way better than those Kemco ****ty RPGs and the controls don't kill it like the FF games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

megaten wrote: »
    Hundred knights looks interesting but I've heard it got poor enough review in japan though they've been updating it since. I might just hold out later down the line and hope they port it to vita or something.

Ya I cancelled my pre order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Lahinchians

bit the bullet and bought Ni No Kuni. 21Gb download all together so wont be playing it for a few days yet. looks a good one though.

bit the bullet and bought Ni No Kuni. 21Gb download all together so wont be playing it for a few days yet. looks a good one though.

It's not great. Looks and sounds gorgeous but the story is woeful and the battle system will grind you down until you couldn't be arsed finishing it. That's what happened to me anyway.

Sure i'll pop back in and give ye my opinion when I finally manage to play it haha

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Anyone here play ragnarok odyssey? ragnarok odyssey ace is out next week for vita and ps3.

Anyone here play ragnarok odyssey? ragnarok odyssey ace is out next week for vita and ps3.

Seems like a monster hunter/PSO clone. Meant to be a good one though.

Hmmm I see conception is out soon too and demon gaze :-D

Hmmm I see conception is out soon too and demon gaze :-D

So many games, so little time, but have them pre ordered regardless :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Anyone here play ragnarok odyssey?
    There's a good size demo on the store, it seemed very dull to me though. A streamlined Monster Hunter with less interesting enemies.

Has anyone played the demo for Conception II yet, it came out yesterday for the Vita and 3DS, you need a US PSN account to download it.

7th dragon got a fan translation.

• Advertisement

Have to say, I'm finding it all very charming at the moment.only about 6 hours in though. the art style is amazing, but I expected nothing else. I can see what you mean by the battle system wearing you down retro, I think that they should have gone either turn based or action based, ala star ocean, and not where they are, in between. I don't have much time to play anymore so I sont think I'll have too much of a problem with it.

Well the main problem with the battle system is it takes so bloody long. Burn out set in for me a few hours in when you realise the game doesn't have much else to offer outside the opening few hours so it might set in yet.

A few days old, but it looks after the success of Bravely Default, Square Enix will be shifting its focus back to JRPG's.
    The worldwide commercial success of Square Enix's Nintendo 3DS JRPG Bravely Default has since made Matsuda reconsider the company's approach. "Bravely Default [...] ended up selling well all around the world," he notes. "For the new games we'll be developing from this point on, while this may sound a bit extreme, we've been talking about making them as heavy JRPGs. I believe that way, we can better focus on our target, which will also bring better results."

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/04/01/square-enix-to-focus-on-jrpgs-niche-appeal-following-bravely-de/

I really enjoyed Bravely Default, well besides the 3 chapters that are basically identical, it was a throwback to the likes of FFIV and FFV, Job Systems should be in far more games and the story was above average as well.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Want to give Squares producers some advice on their localisations? Apparently they'll be readinf the comments here, whether it's true or not is a different story:

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/final-fantasys-producer-asks-what-makes-or-breaks-a-localization

Well looks like Square's producers were listening to the comments on this and responded:

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/the-final-fantasy-team-responds-to-your-thoughts-on-localization

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2014/04/14/soul-sacrifice-delta-freedom-wars-oreshika-coming-soon-ps-vita/

Oreshika sounds really good. I didn't think it'd make it over at all.

Good to see over my dead body series finally get a release, I've heard nothing but great things about the ps1 original and the PSP remake. Pity it's not the remake, the art in that looks amazing.

Conception 2 shipped last Friday from vgp for me .

Conception 2 shipped last Friday from vgp for me .

Same here, that metal box had better be worth the extra price :pac:

As regards Over My Dead Body 2, a demo will be out on April 24th.
    While the villain is different, the premise is the same as the PsOne cult hit. If you haven’t tried Over My Dead Body 2 before you can grab a demo from the PlayStation Store at the end of April. Designer Shoji Masuda tweeted that the demo covers one year of game time, which is roughly three hours. Players can choose three out of eight jobs at the beginning so if you want to try out all of the characters in dungeons you can play through the demo three times.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/03/26/dead-body-2-demo-will-give-vita-owners-taste-cursed-bloodline-next-month/

That's sounds like a really generous demo. It must be coming pretty soon if they have a demo this month.

• Advertisement

Advertisement