Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do you want to be thinner?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

D-gal this is hardly an appropriate thread for your post. Even more it's very close to shilling. No more please. Post deleted

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Little My

Not sure if this has been linked to already but it is definitely worth a read if not.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/jun/10/body-image-anxiety-eva-wiseman?fb=native&CMP=FBCNETTXT9038

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

No I don't want to be thinner. I wouldn't mind being a bit bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MissMoppet

I want to be thinner to feel better about my body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭cuilteanna

I lost over 8.5 stone for health reasons, but now that I've put back nearly two stone of that it's more about liking how I used to look - saggy skin and all - and wanting to fit back into the nice clothes I've accumulated since I reached my goal. When I was morbidly obese I wasn't all that bothered until I had to dress up for something, so health was the only motivation strong enough to make me take action. Now it has become mostly vanity, LOL, though I seem to have regained mostly around my waist which is particularly unhealthy as well.

A neighbour commented in passing this morning that she barely recognises me any more, and all I wanted to do was stop and tell her that I'm only barely fitting in jeans two sizes larger than what she last saw me wearing. I suppose it's a good lesson in others seeing us differently than we see ourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

cuilteanna wrote: »
    I lost over 8.5 stone for health reasons, but now that I've put back nearly two stone of that it's more about liking how I used to look - saggy skin and all - and wanting to fit back into the nice clothes I've accumulated since I reached my goal. When I was morbidly obese I wasn't all that bothered until I had to dress up for something, so health was the only motivation strong enough to make me take action. Now it has become mostly vanity, LOL, though I seem to have regained mostly around my waist which is particularly unhealthy as well.

A neighbour commented in passing this morning that she barely recognises me any more, and all I wanted to do was stop and tell her that I'm only barely fitting in jeans two sizes larger than what she last saw me wearing. I suppose it's a good lesson in others seeing us differently than we see ourselves.

You're still 6.5 stone lighter than you were, thats great :)

Regaining weight after weight loss is a huge problem, in my experiene its harder to keep weight off than lose it in the first place, because when you gain weight you gain extra fat cells, and those fat cells don't disappear when you lose it again, they just shrink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

I need to lose weight as I have a cholesterol level of 10 (age 39), believe me I am not fat perhaps I should lose 1 stone, but I have it in my head that losing a stone will help, gp recognises that im not overweight in fact average weight for my age (he said that he has patients that are as thin as whipets with high cholesterol and patients who are 20 stone with spot on cholesterol) i'm on tablets...yet I feel I need to lose it...finding it very very hard to shift the weight

• Registered Users Posts: 47 kanedaly60

I'm not sure how to describe my relationship with my weight.

From the age of about 7 I had body image issues. I was an average slim child, but I felt self conscious in shorts and uncovered arms. I remember telling my mother I would get lipo on my thighs as a child.

I lost a lot of weight when I hit my teens. First unconsiously, then I stopped eating and developed bulima. I am attractive and got attention from boys and it spiraled. Then at some point I started binge eating and since then I've see-sawed between the two.

In the last two years I improved a lot. I exercise, and I don't act so drastically regarding my weight. I looked well and I felt comfortable for the first time in years.

I can't deal with stress and a breakup and college exams/sudden unemployment have made me recently gain a stone rapidly, through comfort eating. I now dress differently, feel differently, and isolate myself a bit socially. My boyfriend loves me but I don't feel as comfortable with him looking at my body anymore. I know my problem is being lazy and eating too much refined carbs, but I have yet to break the habit.

Basically as other posters have stated I want to be thinner to make myself feel more comfortable, and I think my weight has a knock on effect on my socialiblity, my relationships and how I present myself. It has a direct impact on my self worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I want to bring up a point here that I found from the "plus size women" thread, don't want to drag that off topic. It's about the gender issues regarding weight loss.

Wibbs said that he has lost weight and not having been overweight there were negative comments made about it. Now if an average weight girl loses weight, for whatever reason, normally the comments are positive. Say a size 12 girl falls to a size 8, most people will compliment her. It's usually not until someone becomes underweight that concerns are raised.

Seems a lot more acceptable for women than men, even though in either case there could be health or mental issues involved. Maybe because generally women buy into the media more? I'm thinking of magazines here. Every womens magazine has a diet page, but apart from mens fitness magazines the likes of GQ do not focus on mens physical appearance.

Just makes me wonder is it the culture among women that fuels the media, bringing it full circle, or is it the media fuelling women? And why is it not so prevalent among men?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭analucija

I don't know. I my best male friend is battling his weight since I remember, my brother who used to be a bit overweight is an expert on any kind of a diet. The horror when he saw me eating crisps with a sandwich once! :D My BF is also very self-concuss regarding his weight issues. The only man that I know who is not is my father and he should be. I have a lot of male friends and I wouldn't say my weight issues would be any worse than theirs. Only people don't necessary notice if man gains or loses half a stone, the weight gain or loss usually has to be bigger. And sometimes the issues have more to do with body definition and not actual weight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Yes, but if a man loses too much weight it's often commented on negatively (unless he was obviously overweight to start with). Female weight loss is almost always commented on positively in my experience, whether she needed to lose it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭analucija

Dolorous wrote: »
    Yes, but if a man loses too much weight it's often commented on negatively (unless he was obviously overweight to start with). Female weight loss is almost always commented on positively in my experience, whether she needed to lose it or not.

"Ideal" female size is probably comparably smaller than male but I heard comments being made for men and women. I know a girl who is constantly compared to dried up prune behind her back and she is size 8. And I think that can be the main difference, a lot more comments about girls are made behind their back while men are told stuff into their face (by their friends).

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Raspberries

I'm going to preface this post by stating that I haven't read the whole thread.
    If someone asked me the question 'why do you want to be thinner?' in the street, I would say that it's for me, and no-one else.

But that's a lie. I want to be slimmer because I don't want to be the 'fat' friend anymore, I don't want to be passed over in a nightclub, I want people to look at me and think, wow she's got a great figure! I want people to say, have you lost weight?

I know, stupid reasons. But I do want to be slimmer for more important reasons too. I am overweight for my height. I am carrying my weight across my middle, which is unhealthy as research states that it could cause heart problems, diabetes, etc. There is a history of diabetes in my family on both sides, so statistically I am very likely to develop it if I don't look after myself. There are also issues with obesity, blood pressure and heart problems in my family so I don't want to put myself at risk of these problems too through my own laziness and greed.

I don't think of it as wanting to be thin though. I think that I need to eat healthier and being more active. I have started to become more active, and that is a big step for me. And I am enjoying it, which is surprising, because I thought I would have to force myself to do it!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I want to bring up a point here that I found from the "plus size women" thread, don't want to drag that off topic. It's about the gender issues regarding weight loss.

Wibbs said that he has lost weight and not having been overweight there were negative comments made about it. Now if an average weight girl loses weight, for whatever reason, normally the comments are positive. Say a size 12 girl falls to a size 8, most people will compliment her. It's usually not until someone becomes underweight that concerns are raised.

Seems a lot more acceptable for women than men, even though in either case there could be health or mental issues involved. Maybe because generally women buy into the media more? I'm thinking of magazines here. Every womens magazine has a diet page, but apart from mens fitness magazines the likes of GQ do not focus on mens physical appearance.

Just makes me wonder is it the culture among women that fuels the media, bringing it full circle, or is it the media fuelling women? And why is it not so prevalent among men?
    I had this recently to my face and by comments to my other half, that I had gone from being acceptably thin, to unhealthily skinny

Comments ranged from (to him) "is she sick/has she a problem to (to me) "Are you ok, you look awful and have lost a lot of weight/are very pale, look very tired"

I was getting over a very stressful time in work and the death of a close relative, I was eating at least three times a day, but obviously stress played a part.

I suppose the best I can say here is that there is a tipping point for people being overweight or underweight (strangely enough I'm not underweight, bmi is 19.5) where it's acceptable to pass remarks if that makes any sense, regardless of trauma, stress, underlying illness etc, and it doesn't matter if your too fat or too thin, once you are outside someones norm they will comment.

Not being someone who reads anything other than the normal papers on a day to day basis, usually for politics/economics, I've no idea if the media influence it, but it appeared my weight loss (about a stone I guess, I don't know what I weigh and how much I lost) triggered others to feel they could comment ad nauseum

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

About the male thing...

My brother was just saying yesterday how he is sick of hearing ads on tv/radio/everywhere about losing weight because all he wants to do is put on weight! He even said "why are there never any ads about diets to put on weight?" :rolleyes:

Although he is not as scrawny looking as he was when he was younger (he is 20 now) his body fat usually lies between 5 and 7%. He weighs himself most days and at the moment weighs about 60kg. And he is about 6'! And the majority of that is muscle...he goes to the gym everyday and lifts weights. But he is constantly giving out about how little he weighs..in fairness though he has a very small appetite and can only eat a certain amount in one sitting...same as me.

So it works both ways I guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

I am 5ft 6ins( used to be 5ft 7& half) I was 12st am now 8st 12lbs. To me overweight = fat =cholesterol = stroke or heart attack. I would love to be heavier, I think fattish women are beautiful...well most of them but for purely health reasons, I have to keep the weight down..& it sucks!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

poppyvally wrote: »
    I am 5ft 6ins( used to be 5ft 7& half) I was 12st am now 8st 12lbs. To me overweight = fat =cholesterol = stroke or heart attack. I would love to be heavier, I think fattish women are beautiful...well most of them but for purely health reasons, I have to keep the weight down..& it sucks!

Plenty of "thin" people have cholesterol problems, it's not exclusively related to being overweight, nor does it necessarily cause strokes.
    Being on the pill can cause stroke, I'd a very healthy, fit 27 year old colleague who suffered one.
    Heart attacks have loads of causes, I've to go for tests a I might be prone to one due to genetics.
    Smokers add risk (and I smoke) more to all of those.
    Your waist size apparently is a very good indicator of your health when compared to your hip size.

None of those conditions are exclusive to being overweight tbh.

An overall health review might ease some of your concerns?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

I wan't to be thinner so I look better and feel more comfortable. Even if clothes are the right size I don't think they are as comfortable if you are carrying a bit of weight. I have put on weight, it is slowly creeping on over the years, so I need to nip it in the bud now! I am not overweight "officially" but I still would like to lose some - I always feel better at the lower end of the healthy range for my height. It is about being confident in your own body - it is much better to dress up to look good, rather than to dress with a view to hiding certain things

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Lia_lia wrote: »
    About the male thing...

My brother was just saying yesterday how he is sick of hearing ads on tv/radio/everywhere about losing weight because all he wants to do is put on weight! He even said "why are there never any ads about diets to put on weight?" :rolleyes:

Although he is not as scrawny looking as he was when he was younger (he is 20 now) his body fat usually lies between 5 and 7%. He weighs himself most days and at the moment weighs about 60kg. And he is about 6'! And the majority of that is muscle...he goes to the gym everyday and lifts weights. But he is constantly giving out about how little he weighs..in fairness though he has a very small appetite and can only eat a certain amount in one sitting...same as me.

That's my nephew only his 6 foot 2 and eats a whole family size KFC bucket in one sitting, his a bottomless pit, yet doesn't put on weight, smokes, drinks, he doesn't exercise as such but works and goes to college, he walks everywhere.

His 24. He is very scrawny. I say he must have a very fast metabolism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

That's my nephew only his 6 foot 2 and eats a whole family size KFC bucket in one sitting, his a bottomless pit, yet doesn't put on weight, smokes, drinks, he doesn't exercise as such but works and goes to college, he walks everywhere.

His 24. He is very scrawny. I say he must have a very fast metabolism.

My Uncle was like that until he was 40. Could not put on weight for any money but as soon as he hit 40 he had an instant potbelly :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 nibzc22

I want to be thinner to feel better about my self & to able to fit into the clothes I used to! That's the worst bit for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

I find this whole thread a bit odd. I know it's just because it's phrased a certain way, and it probably means nothing, but I don't want to be 'thinner' and I don't understand why everyone seems to want it.

I want to be fitter, stronger, healthier. I want a flexible and functional body, that lift, swing or pull itself out of sticky situations. I never want to feel tired or out of breath after something as simple as climbing the stairs.

I don't actually want to be thin. I want my body to follow it's own curves naturally. I have shaped muscular shoulders from climbing, a strong core from yoga and some serious power in my ass and legs from cycling everywhere ( it's the only way to travel :) ). This has given me an hourglass shape that a lot of people have commented on. And it was never really the aim of any of my exercise.

I will never be thin. I don't have the bone structure for it, and I simply don't care. I'm happy, healthy and energetic :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Seraphina wrote: »
    I find this whole thread a bit odd. I know it's just because it's phrased a certain way, and it probably means nothing, but I don't want to be 'thinner' and I don't understand why everyone seems to want it.

I think the thread title was a play on the fact that 'losing weight' seems to be a Holy Grail of sorts for most women these days, as reflected in many of the threads and posts in this forum. An attempt to acknowledge and address this recurring theme of weight loss, dieting, gyming, fitting into a certain size, reaching a certain weight...moreso than a blanket claim that absolutely every woman on the face of the planet wants or should want to be thinner.

I'd be the same as you Seraphina, having been through the process of losing my curves (and my mind) to an unhealthy quest for 'thinness'. Most women who have responded to this thread appear to be the same. Health, vitality, fitness, strength, peace of mind...goes without saying, far more important to me at this stage than fitting into a size or hitting a weight that I have to fight my body's natural rhythm to get to. I run a lot so my legs are strong and shapely; when I was thin they were weak and twig-like. It's against my genes and my body's natural state to not be curvy, to not have an ass, hips and boobs.

But that's not to say I didn't want that celebrated 'celebrity body' for a long time, and that's not to say it's something I don't still struggle with sometimes. Seeing that I'm not the only one - and that these struggles can be common for many otherwise healthy women - has made this thread incredibly therapeutic and insightful - and even comforting, for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Read in the journal today that those who are slightly over weight live longer than those who are of normal weight or who are underweight.

http://www.thejournal.ie/these-are-the-surprising-things-that-can-help-you-live-longer-518863-Jul2012/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Mc Kenzie

I guess id just feel id be more attractive or look better if i was a bit slimmer. sometimes i dont feel in proportion as im not skinny but pretty flat chested so it would seem better for me to be slimmer and in proportion.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Totally going unregistered for this reply as a few people I know in real life know my username so bear with me. :)

I've always been overweight and have been to Unislim, WW and a gym many times over the past 8ish years. Bullied in school, called names by customers in work (I worked in a pub and drunken pi$$heads would always make smart comments) and I've always been treated differently by those who didn't know how much of a legend I am :D. I did manage to lose about 2 stone but I just let things slide and the weight crept back on with a few more stone too.

I'm at my heaviest now (a horrific 18 stone) and I constantly have my size on my mind, along with food calories/my image/poor health/clothes that just are lucky to fit rather than clothes I actually like/always being in the back in photos in an attempt to hide the weight/ upcomming events that require formal clothes/boys, or lack thereof/my impression in interviews/college etc.

My health is dire and I can't even enjoy a walk in the park with the nieces and nephew without getting out of breath. My clothes are baggy and ugly and no matter how nice my hair and make-up is, I can never see past the double chin. High heels would be great of my feet could cope with hauling my fat a$$ around the place!

I never go out anymore. I've feigned sickness and pretended not to see the text invitation to go to the pub until it's late enough for me to reply saying that there's no point in me going out now. But definitely 'next time'.

I'm sick of being the 'funny' one. Of being bubbly and a laugh. which are fine, but sometimes thats just a polite way of saying chunky monkey!!!

Last week I decided the weight wasn't just going to take a running jump by itself so I joined a gym and banished the rubbish food from the house. I know I can shed these stones that I feel are sitting on my shoulders rather than actually on my stomach!

I hope you lovely ladies of the lounge will forgive me for my rambling essay! But this is also inspiration for me cos when times are tough and that burger is looking good, I can just reread this and get a boost.

So to sum it all up, the reason I want to be thinner is to banish the CONSTANT body/weight thoughts from my head. The huge boost in my health, mentally and physically, is my goal. The nice clothes and the confidence will just be added perks.

That and high heels.... :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

I'd like to be 'fit' instead of thin. I don't think anyone should aim for being thin as such. You may look thin but may not be healthy, so I'd rather be toned and healthy than a twig and unhealthy! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

I'd like to be 'fit' instead of thin. I don't think anyone should aim for being thin as such. You may look thin but may not be healthy, so I'd rather be toned and healthy than a twig and unhealthy! :pac:

I guess I'm just weird but even as a little girl I always wanted boobs and hips, not to be a stick. (I had decided I would keep money between my boobs when I grew up)
    I didn't want to look like a Disney Princess I wanted to look like Jessica Rabbit, becuse I always thought she was badass :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,188 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Lia_lia wrote: »
    About the male thing...

He is light for a guy who is 6ft tall, combine that with a small appetite and going to the gym and he maybe using up more energy than he is taking in.
    Maybe he could try protein shakes, they would build him up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

I guess I'm just weird but even as a little girl I always wanted boobs and hips, not to be a stick. (I had decided I would keep money between my boobs when I grew up)
    I didn't want to look like a Disney Princess I wanted to look like Jessica Rabbit, becuse I always thought she was badass :pac:

That's because women are meant to be curvy!:) Although I understand not all women have curves because everyone has a different body type and that's fine but I think if you have curves you should embrace their curves. I don't think anyone should fear food. I think it's too much stress to put yourself under if every time you're handed a piece of chocolate you automatically think 'How many calories is that?'.

Yes, I think people (men included) should be aware of what they are putting in their bodies, but not be afriad of eating every little thing (everything in moderation). A fear of food will create an unhealthy relationship with it that you will constantly be fighting your whole life and that's no way to live. The proper way is to enjoy food but to be aware of what you're eating and knowing when too much is too much (Easy to say, harder to stick with I know :P).

I think though in magazines there is so much emphasis out on 'losing weight' and being 'thin' when I think it should be more about being healthy, knowing what your putting into your body and the effect it will have, not starving yourself to be a bean pole. You can be as thin as you want, but if you're not eating right or exercising you won't be healthier and worse still that unhealthy relationship will mean food will constantly be an anxiety for you.

I've no time for diets, they don't help educate people at all. You're hungry. You can't go out with friends as you're 'afraid of what will be on the menu' or 'can't have nice things because the diet doesn't allow them'. You go off the diet after you reach the weight you want, but wait, two weeks on and you've gained that back. Why? Because the diet didn't educate you properly about food. It just said eat this/drink this, lose weight but it never told you how to tackle the emotional baggage that may closely connected to your problem

The bottom line is losing weight or even just eating better is hard work and something drinking a shake won't solve. You need to work at it and know that it may take a while but you'll be getting closer every day to being at peace with what's right for you. /rant over :o (Seems like know-it-all now) :o

Advertisement