Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about planning permission on Farm land?

• 20-09-2010 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi there,

I am actually thinking about buying a farm land around Dublin, and I am wondering about the planning permission.

The land, I am thinking of, is zoned as Objective B.

At the moment nothing is built on this land, and I would like to built a small workshop/garage about 100 square meters probably.

The idea is to have my own store/garage/workshop space.

So do you think it will be possible or not?

Any information will be useful to me, I know nothing about planing permission.
    Cheers
    Ed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Ed51

Hi lads,

I have been reading few other post, and I am thinking it might useful for you to know that I am not Irish and the land is in wicklow close to Dublin.
    I have seen in other post that sometime a planning permission will not be allowed when you are not from the village or affiliated to it.

do you know it is always possible to build a small workshop/garage less than 35m2 with planning permission?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Ed51 wrote: »
    Hi there,
    Hi.
    I am actually thinking about buying a farm land around Dublin, and I am wondering about the planning permission.
    You already sound like a farmer...:)
    The land, I am thinking of, is zoned as Objective B.

At the moment nothing is built on this land, and I would like to built a small workshop/garage about 100 square meters probably.

The idea is to have my own store/garage/workshop space.

So do you think it will be possible or not?
    How much land are you talking about?
    Can it be classed as a farm? or is it just agricultural land?

If it can be classed as a farm (C.6 Hectares, that's 15 acres) and you have a herd number or the equivolent Hort permit, then it is much easier to get planning permission for your store/garage/workshop provided said building is to be used in connection with the farm/farming process.
    I have been reading few other post, and I am thinking it might useful for you to know that I am not Irish and the land is in wicklow close to Dublin.
    I have seen in other post that sometime a planning permission will not be allowed when you are not from the village or affiliated to it.
    This is only the case if someone is planning on developing an area which is not zoned for that development, say, agricultural land to be developed as a site for a dwelling house. If a farm/farm land is being developed for farming activities then it doesn't matter where the applicant is from.
    do you know it is always possible to build a small workshop/garage less than 35m2 with planning permission?
    do you know it is possible to build anything with planning permission?

Thanks for your reply uncle Tom.

We are talking about 1500m2, so it is only agriculture land not farm land and I have no herd number or Hort permit as I am not a farmer.

Really my idea, will be to buy a agriculture land (as it is cheaper than anything else) nothing big but handy for me and to build my own garage on it.
    A mate of mine back home have done this, so he gave me the idea. So I am looking if this idea can fly in ireland.

Do we need to have a planning permission even for building a steel shed?
    I am thinking about 100m2.
    What about if I am building only a 35m2 shed?
    Do I still need a planning permission?

I am wondering as well if there is already a shed on the land would it not make it easier in term of planning?

Thanks for all the help, it is really appreciate.
    Ed

We are talking about 1500m2, so it is only agriculture land not farm land and I have no herd number or Hort permit as I am not a farmer.
    That's small, just under 0.4 acre.
    Really my idea, will be to buy a agriculture land (as it is cheaper than anything else) nothing big but handy for me and to build my own garage on it.
    A mate of mine back home have done this, so he gave me the idea. So I am looking if this idea can fly in ireland.
    You will need planning permission. I would advise that you apply for such permission BEFORE buying the land.
    Do we need to have a planning permission even for building a steel shed?
    Yes. The piece of ground is not large enough to be classed as a farm and if it doesn't have a house on it it can't be classed as being domestic so none of the exemptions apply, imo.
    I am thinking about 100m2.
    What about if I am building only a 35m2 shed?
    Do I still need a planning permission?
    Yes you still need planning permission, there is no exemption for a 35m2 shed. I think you are mixing this up with the exemption of a 25m2 garage within the curtilage of a dwelling house, but since you are not within the curtilage of a dwelling house this exemption does not apply.
    I am wondering as well if there is already a shed on the land would it not make it easier in term of planning?
    It depends on a lot of factors, what is the existing shed used for? was it used in conjunction with other structures now outside the piece of ground?

A large issue you also need to consider is design, the proposed building is one thing, what about wash and toilet facilities? what about parking? what about an entrance? what about any other ancillary facilities? Water? Rubbish collection, if needed?

Thanks for your answer.

I didn't know that it was possible to apply for a permission if you don't know the land.

It sounds effectively far more complex then I would have thought originally.

You were right I was missed up between the 25m2 for a garage.

I was thinking about the facility electricity, water, toilet.
    Do you have any idea how much this will cost to get connect to the different network?

Hum, I am thinking that it might be a lot easier maybe to look for a land which has already a small workshop on it and connected to the different network.

What do you think?

I would not be looking for such think, if I could find house with bigger garage in Dublin.
    But it does seems quiet difficult. :(

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

to keep things very simple, applying for commercial development on lands not zoned for commercial development is almost always a waste of time. Land zoning is there for a reason and if its zoned farming / agri then in general thats what planners want to see on it.

Unless your business can be somehow related to farming / agri then i cant see how it would succeed.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    to keep things very simple, applying for commercial development on lands not zoned for commercial development is almost always a waste of time. Land zoning is there for a reason and if its zoned farming / agri then in general thats what planners want to see on it.

Unless your business can be somehow related to farming / agri then i cant see how it would succeed.

Well I don't want to do any business on the land, I just want to build a small building/warehouse/garage for my own used and restore my classic car over the weekend.
    But I do understand the zoning and a lot of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,760 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Why not look for a pre planning meeting with the local planner to discuss what options are open to you or alternatively employ a local architectural technician who is familiar with the land zoning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 sandy9

Hi all,
    I was just wondering if any1 could tell me if i need planning permission if i were to take down a shed ( 70 by 85) and replace it with a shed (100 by 140) in the same spot all with in the farm yard and if i did need planning permission would it be hard to get??? all comment much appricated:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Sandy, I presume those measurements are in feet? If so, Yes you will require planning, and it would be best to meet with a local Engineer or architectural technician to discuss what you want to build. I have found in the past that where agricultural buildings are concerned the planners are easy going, but a formal application will be required. - it is worth ensuring that your waste & surface water treatment is in good order elsewhere on the land as this is a stickler in recent years..

• Advertisement

Hi Bryan,
    Yes you are correct in saying that it is measured in feet. So seens how i will need planning permission will there be levies and such to be paid or is that only for houses?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

sandy9 wrote: »
    Hi Bryan,
    Yes you are correct in saying that it is measured in feet. So seens how i will need planning permission will there be levies and such to be paid or is that only for houses?
    yes, quite a large contribution.. unless some agri-funding or dispensation can be sought.. it might also be best to apply for an extension to the existing shed rather than apply for demolition and entirely new structure as contributions may apply to the whole new build..

see here p 15 as an example of the m2 contribution

......will there be levies and such to be paid or is that only for houses?

In some cases, agricultural buildings are exempt from contributions, if the structures are necessary to comply with the Nitrates Directive or other EC directives, and provided you supply the correct paperwork with the planning application. I haven't had a client pay contributions on agricultural buildings since 2006.

In some cases, agricultural buildings are exempt from contributions, if the structures are necessary to comply with the Nitrates Directive or other EC directives, and provided you supply the correct paperwork with the planning application. I haven't had a client pay contributions on agricultural buildings since 2006.

Hi Uncle Tom,
    You seem to know your stuff on the agri side of things. So let say i was planning on diverter from beef to dairy and my current shed wasnt good enough. Rather then extending it to bring it up to standered knock it down and build a new one. Are you saying there might be a way around paying levies as such?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,760 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Hi Uncle Tom,
    You seem to know your stuff on the agri side of things. So lets say i was diverting into another area such as dairying from beef and i felt a new shed would be better then trying to extend the current shed there might be a way around paying the levies?
    You're new here and I'm going to cut you some slack as you don't appear to understand the nature of the forum. Please read the forum charter, particularly part 6.1 before posting again.

Hi Uncle Tom,
    You seem to know your stuff on the agri side of things. So let say i was planning on diverter from beef to dairy and my current shed wasnt good enough. Rather then extending it to bring it up to standered knock it down and build a new one. Are you saying there might be a way around paying levies as such?

As muffler said, as you are new to the forum please read the charter.

What I am suggesting is not a 'way around' paying the levies but a legitimate means of stopping the development contributions being applied to essential works which have to be carried out in order for any farmer remain in farming.

Whether that is for beef, dairying, suckler, cereal, arable, sheep or alpaca farming it applies across the board, and the LA's won't usually tell you, you or your Agent will need to know.

Sorry if i posted that wrongly. I dont want a way around anything. If im goin to invest alot of money into my farm i want to do everything above board and legitimate so i never run into problem in the future!!

Advertisement