Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Engineering who's who

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

Oh god no, I definitely want to stay away from the IT sector. I've heard too many bad stories about it. Even if it is picking up again I think investors etc will still be wary.

I would be interested in things like the mars rovers etc and for some reason I associated robotics with those. Am I rite (right)? Would engineering be the right course to do? Or would I be better off with physics?

Thanks for your help, its been insightful so far.

Regards the Kalman filter, wasn't that exactly what the Desert Challenge was all about?
    In 1960, R.E. Kalman published his famous paper describing a recursive solution to the discrete-data linear filtering problem. Since that time, due in large part to advances in digital computing, the Kalman filter has been the subject of extensive research and application, particularly in the area of autonomous or assisted navigation.

and the terrain problems too I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Marucci

B.E. Civil Engineering, UCD

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Friend of mine here uses the Kalman filter in modelling harmonics in power systems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭vinks

postgrad in high performance computing tcd, also spent some time doing the applied maths and theoretical physics msc between tcd, dit and dias. and a useful enough undergrad in applied maths and physics from dit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Me a part-time post-grad in DCU - Electronic Systems.
    nearly done........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 CaptainTeflon

was 1st year mechanical but now 1st year aeronautical engineer-
    UL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Specky

Cool! An engineering board with electronic engineers in it! Not quite sure why it's spawned in the science group but...well as long as it's here that's all that's important.

Me?

Orginally qualified in electronics engineering after being a hobbyist since age 8. First job designing parts to make guided missles go boom when they get close to things that need to go boom, moved on to design in-car data terminals and associated wireless comms equipment, then ticket machines and the like, then back to nuclear submarines (working on fibre optic networking, ASIC design, transputers etc), then in to access control, audio processing and video controls, then into fibre-optic motion sensing, then systems for controlling electrical substations, then flight data recording, then back home to good old access control.

In all 20 years since leaving college all of which has been spent in analogue/digital electronic design, embedded hardware and real time software engineering, all sorts of environments and applications, now own and run my own business designing electronics for the security industry specifically access control, door entry and digital video products. We also design integrated systems for people too and occasionally still get dragged into the odd bit of design consultancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭PlasseyMinstrel

1st (soon to be second) year Mechanical Engineering in UL.

And I know who you are, Captain Teflon. Mwa ha ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

2nd elec eng ucc soon to be 3rd :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Hmmm I too am 1st year mech eng in UL. How interesting....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Mr. Skeffington

4th Year Mech Eng, DIT Bolton Street

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Mr. Skeffington

4th Year Mech Eng, DIT Bolton Street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 murt

Electronic Engineer working abroad in ASIC design.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Just finished first year in CECE in DCU and (depending on exam results), starting second year in dme (digital media engineering) next semester

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

Starting 2nd year of manufacturing systems engineering in WIT in September.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Finishing Electronic Systems/Telecom Eng Masters in DCU part time while working full time - is a labour of love as I did a degree in genetics, Masters in Food Science, Grad Dip in IT and Business and plan to do a Masters in Astronomy before doing more post grad in eng...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 CarrigeenLad

I am an Engineer working in England for a car company. I spent 4 years on my Bachelor and 3 years on my Masters in UCD in Mechanical Engineering. I know a sucker for punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

4th year Civil Engineering, Hogeschool van Amsterdam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Job Title : "Embedded Software Design Engineer"

The company will pay for my BSC in Computer Science. I'm not too pushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Fire Engineer, Leeds.

Working in Ireland now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

SyxPak wrote:
    3rd Year Electronic Engineering - NUI, Galway

4th year now :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

3rd Year Mechanical Engineering UL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

blondie83 wrote:
    3rd year elec eng UCD

Now 4th year elec eng UCD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭planck2

If there any 1st or 3rd year engineers doing eng in ucd, I'll be tutoring 1st eng mechanics and 3rd eng comp mech. I'm doing an Msc in maths physics in ucd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

May as well add my €0.02

B.Eng in Mechanical Engineering 2001 in UL

Attempted to do a PhD on the mechanical reliability of portable electronics (making mobile phones better at staying in one piece after being dropped). Didn't like it.

Worked in Dell on the line for a year and a half.

About to start a Grad Dip in Chemical Engineering in UL.

If Osiris is the person I'm thinking of, he'd have been in my class in UL originally, and then in on e of my tutorial groups during my PhD attempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 WearyWanderer

Graduate Elec Eng UCC

• Registered Users Posts: 16,968 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

National Diploma in Electronic Engineering from Waterford RTC in 1991
    B.Eng Degree in Electronic Engineering from Bolton Institute of Technology, England 1993
    IEE Accredited 2 year training with British Rail 1995

Now a Chartered Engineer working in the Rail Industry in Glasgow

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Now 3rd Elec Eng in UCD.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

3rd year maths physics, UCD...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Well looks like im the only one that went down the poor mans road. Qualified metal fabricator, working as a structural steel draughtsman.

Advertisement