Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym Training For Rugby Player

• 22-04-2014 12:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Hi there I play as an inside centre (12) and I'm looking to start going to the gym now and want to increase me strength and muscle size. If anyone has any workout routines/nutrition plans I would be really thankful. Also if anybody has any tips on how to improve as a rugby player too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

Not quite sure if that was a genuine response or a joke but I could've done that.. There's more to muscle building for sport than there is for show.. Muscle building for sport needs to be.. well useful to the sport!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

As we are coming into the off season now I assume you are looking for a program for the summer to put on some muscle.
    Whats your current height/weight? What level are you playing at?
    First thing you need to figure out is where you are at and then where you want to be realistically at the end of the summer.
    You want to do a lot of compound exercises, squats, deadlifts,bench, chin ups, dips, powercleans etc.
    Nutrition is more important, no point putting the gym work in if you are not eating right, need plenty of calories to put on muscle.
    A program like starting strength is a good place to start.

colman1212 wrote: »
    As we are coming into the off season now I assume you are looking for a program for the summer to put on some muscle.
    Whats your current height/weight? What level are you playing at?
    First thing you need to figure out is where you are at and then where you want to be realistically at the end of the summer.
    You want to do a lot of compound exercises, squats, deadlifts,bench, chin ups, dips, powercleans etc.
    Nutrition is more important, no point putting the gym work in if you are not eating right, need plenty of calories to put on muscle.
    A program like starting strength is a good place to start.

Hi there thanks for the reply, yeah the last games are wrapping up about now!
    I'm 5'11'' and 14 stone roughly. I put muscle on easily but have never taken it really seriously but the new found love of the sport makes me want to bulk up and maybe go past club level. Would a programme of just compound moves suffice or would I incorporate isolation movements in also? Are you referring to BodyBuilding.com's workout 'Starting Strenght' also? Thanks for the reply!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Starting Strength is a program devised by Mark Rippetoe but I'm assuming it's the same one.

Stronglifts is a similar program for starting out.

Your best bet is to go with one of those and sort out your diet. Check out the nutrition stickies 'cause all you need to know is in there.

Starting Strength is a program devised by Mark Rippetoe but I'm assuming it's the same one.

Stronglifts is a similar program for starting out.

Your best bet is to go with one of those and sort out your diet. Check out the nutrition stickies 'cause all you need to know is in there.

Perfect lads! Thanks for the help

Advertisement