Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Fantasy Football Chat

• 15-02-2012 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Second Captain, First Captain, whatever!

Seriously though, thought it would be good to start a weekly captain thread as its a very common question on the old thread.

So who will it be Saturday week?

Probably Ba for me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Second Captain, First Captain, whatever!

Seriously though, thought it would be good to start a weekly captain thread as its a very common question on the old thread.

So who will it be Saturday week?

Probably Ba for me!

Aguero for me

Would be nice if we could get a poll in here (*PS I demand John Ruddy be included in any captain poll herein*)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Think it's gonna be Ba for me this week. Aguero didn't work out at all last week for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

Yeah.... there should be a poll every week. I'm edging towards Rooney. Might stick it on Sessegnon though

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

FatRat wrote: »
    Yeah.... there should be a poll every week. I'm edging towards Rooney. Might stick it on Sessegnon though

I just use the FFS poll to be honest. Alot more people vote in it than would here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Good thread idea! I have Silva penciled in at the moment but I'm not too sure as he hasn't been delivering yesterday. But Blackburn? You really would expect City to destroy them.

• Advertisement

Lemlin wrote: »
    I just use the FFS poll to be honest. Alot more people vote in it than would here.

True, but tbh I'd value the results on here more, not lickin a** just being honest...

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭cunninstunt

Jumping between Ba and Rooney myself, will probably go for Rooney in the end though, Fancy Norwich to concede a good few

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭SickBoy

These threads need public polls with the usual big hitters listed.
    The reason I say public is to ensure no one is trying to load the results in favor of someone they are not going to pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Definitely need a poll for these weekly threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Well i guess i made a balls of it, i leave someone else to open the poll.

• Advertisement

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Well i guess i made a balls of it, i leave someone else to open the poll.

I think you can add one if you edit the OP?

Just stick up a list of the main contenders, you could copy from FFS if you wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,478 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Best to have a new thread each week with a poll imo

+1

Sure we're only findin' our feet. Fair play for settin' up the thread in the first place kennyb3 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭rosskind

After conceding 7 against Arsenal, I'm leaning towards Aguero at home to Blackburn but also thinking of Mata.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

i'm about 30th in my main league of about 100. not great, i dominated this league last year. and i'm only a single point ahead of my friend with whom i have a 100 quid bet on to beat this year. squeeky bum time!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

The one I really want to win has no cash prize as such, but a free night in the pub from the other 6 players. I won it last year and am second currently, albeit 80 points behind the guy in first, who's strategy is buying the players I have so I cant catch him.

I'm 3rd in a money league, 2 disasterous weeks has seen me go from 1st to 3rd. Only 20 points off top, I'm confident I can pull that one around.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

I'm top of all (2) my money leagues I'm in by about 100 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

Since this is my first year playing properly, I decided to avoid money leagues and just have the Boards league as my main one. And I am doing HORRIBLY at the moment.

Excluding the double week for scores, I've done nothing right since GW 18. 6 really bad weeks have eventually knocked me off the top, and left me in a very average situation.

Decided to keep Nani one more week when considering Dempsey, then that week Nani gets injured and Dempsey scores a hat-trick.

Convinced myself Aguero was the better option over Rooney during my wildcard, my main opposition captains Rooney regularly, and completely stuffed me.

Went for Smalling over Evans, thinking Evans might struggle to play when United get Rio/Jones/Smalling/Rafael all playing... of course, since they're all made of glass, that backfired and Evans goes and gets clean sheets and 3 bonus points.

This week, thinking I had great cover on my bench in Senderos at home to Stoke, he gets a red seemingly out of nowhere on Friday, leaving me to replace Smalling with -5 goals Simpson.

Went for Walters over Sessegnon. Enough said about that.

But by far my biggest screw-up was Ba. The week I dropped Ba is the week I blame for everything. I simply didn't know how to manage my team without the luxury of having him. Dropped him early, expecting to miss the price fall as he had Liverpool and United to play before going away to the ACN. The bugger goes and scores 12 against United, rises in price, only plays 3 games in the ACN, refuses to drop in price due to silly "protection" rules I knew nothing about, and comes back into my team about 1.6m more than he was when I bought him.

If I just kept Ba on my bench during those 3 weeks, I would have spent my money bulking up midfield (Dempsey for Walters), had an extra MF spot (Sess), and not wasted time trying to rely on tools like Sturridge or Best.

And that's it really...

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Munster Magic

Top of the boards paid league by 20 points for now, tight at the top. January wildcard really helped me as before that most teams at the top were very similar. No room for mistakes from here in though

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

3rd in the Boards soccer forum league.

Leading in the half a dozen other leagues I'am in including 1 money league.

Not Good

• Registered Users Posts: 37,328 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

1,865th overall, winning all of my smaller leagues, in the teens in the boards one. Been steadily rising every month since August which was not a good month for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭dahat

3rd in my main league,i do take too many point hits though,would nearly be top by now if i did!!!
    I don't get over involved with the game so taking hits does not bother me.......

P.s Leader of my main league is my 13 yr old son!!!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Yes Augero seems the obvious one but will the FF demons come and mention the phrase "rotation" with Balo back in the frame................

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Who_8_Paul?

Since Carlcon is off the top, would it be a better idea to now copy number 1s team? No really just so happens my team is very similar to Carlcons (like so many teams after the January wildcard) and I've had the same issues, now got 2 breathing down my neck in my main private league.

PS don't follow bandwagons from the FF scout threads, advice on boards is infinitely better!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Top of the boards paid league by 20 points for now, tight at the top. January wildcard really helped me as before that most teams at the top were very similar. No room for mistakes from here in though

After falling back horribly in that league, but still only around 80 points behind you which over 11 weeks is retrievable. Just have to start taking a few risks now.

Also the minute I opened a money league with my friends after GW 21, things just went from bad to worse. I was over 100 points ahead at 1 stage in one of my casual leagues, now the gap is down to 20 points!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,951 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

would be joint 6th in the Boards league had I joined. Have been swapping places with Ade in the Pro Wrestling league. Winning the one with my mates by a considerable margin, a pub close to me had a money league but I was too late with the money :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

Since Carlcon is off the top, would it be a better idea to now copy number 1s team? No really just so happens my team is very similar to Carlcons (like so many teams after the January wildcard) and I've had the same issues, now got 2 breathing down my neck in my main private league.

PS don't follow bandwagons from the FF scout threads, advice on boards is infinitely better!

There's too much going on to put it that simply, IMO.

The only relevant difference in his favour between the 2 teams last week was that he had Rooney (captained for 26 points), while I had Aguero for 2 points instead, with Bale (3 points) captained.

All 4 of my MFs scored me 5+ points, while only 2 of his did (the 2 I also had).

I fully accept I've been poor lately, but my midfield of Bale/Valencia/Sigurdson/Silva/Dempsey with Sig on my bench is much more likely to score well over the space of a season than his of Pilkington/Sinclair/Sess/Silva/Dempsey with Pilkington on his bench.

So it basically came down to his better captain.

Again, while fully accepting I've sucked, you gotta look at the bad-luck value of having Bale as my captain, his team winning 5-0, but him (the best midfielder in the league) scoring nothing.

And with Ag/Roo, I think the general consensus (and something I am probably going to do myself) is to stick with Aguero for 2 more GWs, then take in Roo for the rest of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭ciantheod

12th in boards ,1606 in world .top in money league by 50 and 140 ahead in mates league .been a stressful time .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement